Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Actually, I think the Déesse was one of the greatest cars of all time. A pity that the punitive French tax system on engine size prevented it (and most other French cars, but not the Facel Vega!) from having a better engine.

Citroën's very recent version of the DS is an insult.

Agree on both points! Citroen toyed with using a Chev Corvair Flat Six engine in the DS!! Now THAT would have gone! I loved owning the DS, but drove one a couple of years back for a wedding gift to a friend (the driving the DS to wedding, NOT a whole car!) And it felt so old after the LS, driving, clunky doors......great to look at though!

as to current "DS"....!!!! A joke!

Unless they do a "Fiat 500" and remake it.

Actually, I think the Déesse was one of the greatest cars of all time. A pity that the punitive French tax system on engine size prevented it (and most other French cars, but not the Facel Vega!) from having a better engine.

Citroën's very recent version of the DS is an insult.

Agree on both points! Citroen toyed with using a Chev Corvair Flat Six engine in the DS!! Now THAT would have gone! I loved owning the DS, but drove one a couple of years back for a wedding gift to a friend (the driving the DS to wedding, NOT a whole car!) And it felt so old after the LS, driving, clunky doors......great to look at though!

as to current "DS"....!!!! A joke!

Unless they do a "Fiat 500" and remake it.

Hi Chris and sorry to awake your latent? passion!

I see you are a near neighbour - so hi

I am a new recruit to Lexus and somehow can see that I am moving onwards and upwards from XM ownership. The proof of the pudding will be this Summer, when I will be towing my caravan down to Cornwall with the family.

The original option was to use my 1956 Land Rover - I have cried off as I don't fancy the frantic wheel turning that is required to keep in a straight line and the deadening of the ear drums!

Maybe I am getting old, but the Lexus does seem to be a 'rather' superior mode of transport.

Kindest regards and thanks for making me smile

David

ps my partner works in Shire!

Would be great if you could post that article on the RR v Lex Chris ?

I sold my 1980 Rolls Royce Silver Shadow series 11, fifteen years ago now, but it was an absolutely stunning car and with just 38k ( when I purchased her) on the clock and one previous owner, it was like brand new.

The previous owner Purchased the car new from Mann Egertons in London and kept it at his home in Monte Carlo.

It was in deep Exeter blue with cream leather upholstery piped in blue, the build quality was superb, absolutely no plastic.

The dash and surround was made of burl walnut and was matching all the way around.

The carpets where deep blue Wilton with matching sheep skin rugs, it was opulent luxury throughout.

So how does it compare to My LS400 ?

Well a 98` Rolls Royce Silver Seraph with the same mileage as my Lexus would cost me around £35k as opposed to the £3k I paid for my car so there must be a reason for this.

And I have to remember that my Rolls was eighteen years older than my Lexus so no ABS,Sat Nav, traction control or VSS etc

But the cars are very comparable in the comfort of ride stakes and I would say are about the same, although road noise in the Roller was less audible than the Lexus, but that could be down to the tyres ?

On fuel consumption there is no contest, the Rolls only managed a meager ten to the gallon and maybe fourteen on a run. The Lexus returns on average 34 on a run and around 22 urban, superb for such a big car.

Space wise the Rolls wins hands down, but it is a foot longer than the Lexus.

The boot space on the LS is deceptively small, on the Shadow it was huge, there is also far more space inside the Rolls too.

I find the driving cockpit in the Lexus cramped, but I am six foot and 18 stone but despite its plefora of adjustable positions I find it can be an uncomfortable drive, particularly on long runs,for example the seat does not go back far enough for my liking,but as I said in a previous post, I had a bike crash in 2000 and messed up my right elbow badly and its this that gives me the jip really but the rolls had plenty of drivers space and I particularly liked the column change.

I like the anonymity of the Lexus, no such camouflage with a Roller though, it stands out a mile and therefore is a prime target for vandals.

On power I would say my Lexus takes the edge, but the Rolls for such a heavy car was no slouch either.

Servicng the Lexus is also far more bank friendly than the Rolls and parts for the Roller could have you breaking into a sweat.

The Lexus LS is often referred to as the Japanese Rolls Royce and I don't think that statement is wide of the mark.

I purchased my Rolls in 1993 from a RR main dealer and it cost me £16k for a thirteen year old car.

My eleven year old Lexus cost me £2900 is one hell of a car and despite my driving comfort reservations I intend to keep her for a long time (the Wife loves it )

Out of the two cars I have to say I did prefer the Rolls over the Lexus,the build quality is much better, but a new Roller is double the price of a new Lexus.

So if I won the Lottery tonight would it be a new LS or new RR ?

A: LS

Would be great if you could post that article on the RR v Lex Chris ?

I sold my 1980 Rolls Royce Silver Shadow series 11, fifteen years ago now, but it was an absolutely stunning car and with just 38k ( when I purchased her) on the clock and one previous owner it was like brand new.

The previous owner Purchased the car new from Mann Egertons in London and kept it at his home in Monte Carlo.

It was in deep Exeter blue with cream leather upholstery piped in blue, the build quality was superb, absolutely no plastic.

The dash and surround was made of burl walnut and was matching all the way around.

The carpets where Wilton with matching sheep skin rugs, it was opulent luxury throughout.

So how does it compare to My LS400 ?

Well a 98` Rolls Royce Silver Seraph with the same mileage as my Lexus would cost be around £35k as opposed to the £3k I paid for my car so there must be a reason for this.

And I have to remember that my Rolls was eighteen years older than my Lexus so no ABS,Sat Nav, traction control or VSS etc

But the cars are very comparable in the comfort stakes and I would say are about the same, although road noise in the Roller was less audible than the Lexus, but that could be down to the tyres ?

On fuel consumption there is no contest, the Rolls only managed a meager ten to the gallon and maybe fourteen on a run. The Lexus returns on average 34 on a run and around 22 urban, superb for such a big car.

Space wise the Rolls wins hands down, but it is a foot longer than the Lexus.

The boot space on the LS is deceptively small, on the Shadow it was huge, there is also far more space inside the Rolls too.

I find the driving cockpit in the Lexus cramped, but I am six foot and 18 stone but despite its plefora of adjustable positions I find it can be an uncomfortable drive, particulary on long runs,for example the seat does not go back far enough for my liking,but as I said in a previous post, I had a bike crash in 2000 and messed up my right elbow badly and its this that gives me the jip really.

The rolls had plenty of drivers space and I particulary liked the column change.

I like the anoyminity of the Lexus, no such camalougue with a Roller though, it stands out a mile and therefore is a prime target for vandals.

On power I would say my Lexus takes the edge, but the Rolls for such a heavy car was no slouch either.

Servicng the Lexus is also far more bank freindly than the Rolls and parts for the Roller could have you breaking into a sweat.

The Lexus LS is often refered to as the Japanese Rolls Royce and I dont think that statement is wide of the mark.

I purchased my Rolls in 1993 from a RR main dealer and it cost me £16k for a thirteen year old car.

My eleven year old Lexus cost me £2900 is one hell of a car and despite my driving comfort reservations I intend to keep her for a long time (the Wife loves it )

Out of the two cars I have to say I did prefer the Rolls over the Lexus,the build quality is much better, but a new Roller is double the price of a new Lexus.

So if I won the Lottery tonight would it be a new LS or new RR ?

A: LS

Hi I really enjoyed your story. I would agree with everything that you said about RR v LS. However your last answer of what to choose following a lottery win has got me thinking.

Could I have both?!

Kindest regards

David

If I can get my old scanner to work on my iMac I will post the article........don't hold your breath!

as to Lottery win. well, the current R-Royces ARE rather large! I think a LS would be more practical. And you won't feel THAT removed from the rest of us when you get out!

Hmm. Another ex XM owner. I swapped my Diesel XM for a TR7 Convertable. From the sublime to the ridiculous.

Sometimes I wish I had never driven an LS. I loved my GS and it was always going to be something special to get me to change.

One 99 LS the same as Mr Skeltons was offered with a big LPG tank and I haven't looked back.

If I can get my old scanner to work on my iMac I will post the article........don't hold your breath!

as to Lottery win. well, the current R-Royces ARE rather large! I think a LS would be more practical. And you won't feel THAT removed from the rest of us when you get out!

Hi Chris yes but you know I loved getting out of the RR with scruffy clothes and people looking at me, assuming I must be even more important! I have had many double takes!

RR ownership is partly/mostly about making a statement and being pretentious - yes am guilty m'lord.

The Lexus hasn't got the same presence, but people do come and look at what this great space-ship is!

Kindest regards

David

Older ones had a bit of class. Not sure about the tank-like (German?) current one!

There is that "He must be an aging pop star' concept when you have an old one (assuming you look a bit like Mr Rossi from Quo, as I was once.....though, with beard, I became Billy Connolly! Damn! I thought I was famous enough as ME!

I met Billy in 1967, when he didn't look like he does now.....and I DID!! Weird!

Older ones had a bit of class. Not sure about the tank-like (German?) current one!

There is that "He must be an aging pop star' concept when you have an old one (assuming you look a bit like Mr Rossi from Quo, as I was once.....though, with beard, I became Billy Connolly! Damn! I thought I was famous enough as ME!

I met Billy in 1967, when he didn't look like he does now.....and I DID!! Weird!

Hi Chris, you do make me chuckle!

I am naturally a bit scruffy I think and hate shaving!

I haven't driven the current range of RR, but am sure that they are head and shoulders (don't use it?!) above the previous models. My sadness is that the design is a bit Teutonic and that we have lost these evotic marques to 'Europe'.

However I would love a drophead...........!

Kindest regards

David

I've actually been in a Phantom and it was amazing, but partly it's the experience that makes it so good. If I was blindfolded I'm not sure whether it was much different to sitting in an S class or an LS............

I actually like the way the Rolls looks, and the new baby Rolls that's on the way looks brilliant - I'm disappointed in Bentley though, I used to prefer Bentleys to RRs but while the Continental GT is a good looking car, it doesn't really look like a Bentley anymore. Don't get me started on the Flying Spur though as I think that looks horrible :sick:

I've actually been in a Phantom and it was amazing, but partly it's the experience that makes it so good. If I was blindfolded I'm not sure whether it was much different to sitting in an S class or an LS............

I actually like the way the Rolls looks, and the new baby Rolls that's on the way looks brilliant - I'm disappointed in Bentley though, I used to prefer Bentleys to RRs but while the Continental GT is a good looking car, it doesn't really look like a Bentley anymore. Don't get me started on the Flying Spur though as I think that looks horrible :sick:

I love the 'suicide' rear doors that remind me of the Rover P4's that I once owned. Acess and egress is definitely grander with this method.

The Spirit of Ecstacy in your eye-line is a driving experience that I will never forget and one that filled me with pride every day.

Agreed about Bentley, especially as I like comfy rides!

Kindest regards

David

Hi guys ........................... the LS400 beats most cars for running costs, not just the RR. The LS400 so rarely needs any replacement parts ! I drove a 1991 LS for 5 years and parted company when it reached 190k miles and due another cambelt change. Now have a 1994 LS400 that I bought the end of 2007 with 8542 miles and at £ 3700, expensive I know ! .............. a brand new 13.5 year old car that has now covered just 21k miles.

An absolute dream to drive ( like the older one ) and unremitting comfort and power and in the knowledge that I'm going to have to be just ever so unlucky to have any problems with it for many years to come.

Probably last me another 10 years I would reckon too.

Hi guys ........................... the LS400 beats most cars for running costs, not just the RR. The LS400 so rarely needs any replacement parts ! I drove a 1991 LS for 5 years and parted company when it reached 190k miles and due another cambelt change. Now have a 1994 LS400 that I bought the end of 2007 with 8542 miles and at £ 3700, expensive I know ! .............. a brand new 13.5 year old car that has now covered just 21k miles.

An absolute dream to drive ( like the older one ) and unremitting comfort and power and in the knowledge that I'm going to have to be just ever so unlucky to have any problems with it for many years to come.

Hi Malc, sounds like a really excellent car. I don't think the price you paid is excessive, particularly with the mileage. You are most fortunate to find such a rare car.

Hen's teeth springs to mind!

Kindest regards

David

Hi Malc, sounds like a really excellent car. I don't think the price you paid is excessive, particularly with the mileage. You are most fortunate to find such a rare car.

Kindest regards

David

I had planned the change for about a year, the time it took to find the best of the " old " LS400 models. Acquired it from a secondhand car dealer ( on-line ) in Windsor who sells Maybach, RR, Bentley, Mercs and the like. This old banger ( my Lexus ) was bought by him for the Private Plate ........... the car itself was, fortunately, superfluous and of little/zero value to him I think.

So, yes, a bit like " hen's teeth " aren't I lucky !

Malc

Kindest regards

David

I had planned the change for about a year, the time it took to find the best of the " old " LS400 models. Acquired it from a secondhand car dealer ( on-line ) in Windsor who sells Maybach, RR, Bentley, Mercs and the like. This old banger ( my Lexus ) was bought by him for the Private Plate ........... the car itself was, fortunately, superfluous and of little/zero value to him I think.

So, yes, a bit like " hen's teeth " aren't I lucky !

Malc

Hi Malc

Yes you are lucky and why is it that I never find a bargain such as yours?! Every day I drive my 170K+ car I feel happy, cosy and positive.

The car is understated, though I think the size is a giveaway as being a true 'gentleman's carriage'!

Kindest regards

David

• 1 month later...
I have owned Citroen XM's for many years and these cars are far more stable than the LS.

Hush ! You will wake up old Skellington...

Sorry but these cars are pretty much supreme in my eyes. The Xantia replacement (C5) still has yet to match the wizadry of the old XM. I have had over 20 of these cars, from the humble 2.0 petrol to the 24 valve V6 in both auto and manual forms. The early cars had some earthing problems and rust can attack the front jacking points if the points are poorly used, but that aside I don't have any cause to complain.

I used a 2.1 TD to tow a heavy car trailer with estate car atop over many miles. The same trip counfounded both a 3.5 Range Rover and a TDI Discovery to tow at motorway speeds with some degree of control. Caravan towing with a 2.5 TD was a breeze, with many cars struggling to maintain 60 mph up the A30 from Cornwall towing poxy camping trailers. They would flash past me down the hills and then I would sedately cruise past them up the next hill, towing my caravan. Fuel consumption was excellent, though I did have to keep the power down to avoid over-heating. This eventually proved to be a fault with this particular car and LED to an engine seizure - also whilst towing!

I have moved home for 2 people in estate cars, and once had to carry the mattress on the roof all the way back from London. These cars 'do what they say on the tin' and are perfectly reliable if properly maintained. Sadly main dealers and 'experts' prefer to replace a whole load of parts before they start to engage the grey matter, much to the detriment of this much-maligned marque.

Am I waffling? Maybe but have just woken up on a Sunday afternoon and must have had a sugar rush!

Kindest regards and will keep 'Mum'!

Last weekend I was driven by my 80 year old Dad in his diesel Xantia estate and I was reminded of the superative suspension of these cars, especially as this has just received new spheres. Driving the LS400 at speed I was a bit shocked by the wallowing and lack of contol when I had to brake on an almost straight road. (This would never happen on an XM...............................!)

And no I won't be swapping the LS for another Citroen as I have decided that I am enjoying the quality and luxury afforded by such an impressive brand.

Watching the television with James May and Oz Clark made me think about a nice Rolls Royce Corniche Convertible........................ some people are unlikely to be 'saved'!

• 3 weeks later...
I have owned Citroen XM's for many years and these cars are far more stable than the LS.

Hush ! You will wake up old Skellington...

Sorry but these cars are pretty much supreme in my eyes. The Xantia replacement (C5) still has yet to match the wizadry of the old XM. I have had over 20 of these cars, from the humble 2.0 petrol to the 24 valve V6 in both auto and manual forms. The early cars had some earthing problems and rust can attack the front jacking points if the points are poorly used, but that aside I don't have any cause to complain.

I used a 2.1 TD to tow a heavy car trailer with estate car atop over many miles. The same trip counfounded both a 3.5 Range Rover and a TDI Discovery to tow at motorway speeds with some degree of control. Caravan towing with a 2.5 TD was a breeze, with many cars struggling to maintain 60 mph up the A30 from Cornwall towing poxy camping trailers. They would flash past me down the hills and then I would sedately cruise past them up the next hill, towing my caravan. Fuel consumption was excellent, though I did have to keep the power down to avoid over-heating. This eventually proved to be a fault with this particular car and LED to an engine seizure - also whilst towing!

I have moved home for 2 people in estate cars, and once had to carry the mattress on the roof all the way back from London. These cars 'do what they say on the tin' and are perfectly reliable if properly maintained. Sadly main dealers and 'experts' prefer to replace a whole load of parts before they start to engage the grey matter, much to the detriment of this much-maligned marque.

Am I waffling? Maybe but have just woken up on a Sunday afternoon and must have had a sugar rush!

Kindest regards and will keep 'Mum'!

Last weekend I was driven by my 80 year old Dad in his diesel Xantia estate and I was reminded of the superative suspension of these cars, especially as this has just received new spheres. Driving the LS400 at speed I was a bit shocked by the wallowing and lack of contol when I had to brake on an almost straight road. (This would never happen on an XM...............................!)

And no I won't be swapping the LS for another Citroen as I have decided that I am enjoying the quality and luxury afforded by such an impressive brand.

Watching the television with James May and Oz Clark made me think about a nice Rolls Royce Corniche Convertible........................ some people are unlikely to be 'saved'!

Hi all

I have been driving Citroen XM's again, dreaming of Rolls Royce Motor Cars and thinking!

This Summer I will be taking my caravan to Cornwall behind the trusty LS400 and have decided that this will be a testing time. The tow bar has now been fitted, I love the sound system and acceleration of the LS but haven't used it to tow yet!

I have imagined being able to tow without trouble on hills and being able to relax without overheating and with the added feeling of safety that the Lexus gives.

Am I right to assume all this? My caravan is only very small and will be lightly laden. I don't intend to drive hard, just safely - and steadily!

What would happen if the CD system gave up the ghost half way there? Would the peasants revolt - as they can be quite revolting without much effort?!

I have towed with old Discoveries and Range Rovers that locked front wheels on braking and wallowed about. The Range Rover needed a fuel bowser in tandem with the caravan!

What is the LS400 like to tow and does anyone have any thoughts of pit falls I could avoid - before they become a problem!

Kindest regards to you all,

David

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links