Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all

A few months ago my other half persuaded me to part with my beloved Rolls Royce Silver Spirit (1982). This car adorned my warehouse shop and took up valuable selling space. However I was able to drool from my seat all day and every day.

Sadly she had to go (not the other 1/2!) as was rarely used and I had a niggle that rust would be knocking at the door very shortly. More sadly the price of these great British cars has fallen through the floor and I got peanuts from a lovely gentleman from Germany - where euros count!

Not many months later I start looking at Lexus on eBay and found the LS400 series. Within a week I am the proud owner of a gold 1997 Lexus LS400. There are a few imperfections and I was surprised not to find anything aquatic within the soggy depths of the boot floor - not even rust - surely this vehicle isn't British?!

Driving this car is a revelation. I love the gearchange, the subdued hum of the engine and the sublime comfort of the ride. This evening I noticed the dimming rear view and door mirrors. Wow this is a far cry from my old Austin Maxi or even the regal elegance of the RR.

This won't be my last Lexus as my fingers get a bit itchy after about 18 months and am sure I will be moving up to an LS430, which appear to be even better? Can anyone give me unbiased view on my next acquisition?

In the meantime I will enjoy and keep filling the fuel tank.

Kindest regards to you all and thanks for reading my musings! David

Hi David, Welcome to the Lexus discovery of perfection. Asking for an unbiased view of Lexus on these forums is a waste of time, you are talking to the ''converted''.

''surely this vehicle isn't British?! Quite right, it's the Luxury division of Toyota (Japanese). You WILL keep noticing things that will amaze you for many months to come, you WILL move up to the 430 and you WILL drool over the Lex as you drooled over the RR. Keep posting and reading, there are many things to learn. Enjoy. Graham.

Welcome David, the more you drive it the more you will love it, if you have a wet boot remove the seal clean it & silicone the lip pop it back on, the boot will then be dry its one of the few problems with the Ls.

happy motoring Mark :D

Hi David and welcome!

For the past 5 years or so I've owned a 1990 LS400 and that too continues to amaze me. Not so much with its opulence - my previous car was a 1983 Granada Ghia X which IMO was, with its Chatsworth velour trim, more impressive to look at and perhaps a little more comfortable. However, unlike the Granada, the LS ultimately delivers what it promises, with absolute smoothness, quietness and dogged reliability. (It doesn't rattle or creak either.) I daresay the 1997 version is even better! One problem which plagued me on the Granada was that of warping brake discs. After considerable research, I found that the solution was to have them machined whilst on the hub, and the only workshop suitably equipped in the area was that of a Rolls Royce engineer who (unbelievably) happened to live in my street! I remember him saying that this was a common fault on RRs, and no laughing matter given the price of new discs.

Of course, all that sort of thing is history with the LS400. My only advice would be to absolutely insist on genuine Toyota parts where possible (including fluids), or failing that, ADL Blueprint.

Enjoy!

R.P.

Hi David, Welcome to the Lexus discovery of perfection. Asking for an unbiased view of Lexus on these forums is a waste of time, you are talking to the ''converted''.

''surely this vehicle isn't British?! Quite right, it's the Luxury division of Toyota (Japanese). You WILL keep noticing things that will amaze you for many months to come, you WILL move up to the 430 and you WILL drool over the Lex as you drooled over the RR. Keep posting and reading, there are many things to learn. Enjoy. Graham.

Hi Graham and the 'unbiased' bit was a bit tongue-in-cheek!

I know nothing about the 430 as have enough trouble getting my head around my own 400, but know that time will tell.

Kindest regards

David

nice one david, welcome to loc :)

Thanks spikes and great logo!

what part of bristol are you from ? will have to keep an eye out for you :)

Hi I am from Almondsbury (South Glos) and have a bed shop called 'Bedlam Beds'. Maybe I could offer a discount to these cool new friends that I have found in the LOC!

Cheers

David

Welcome from another former RR owner.

1980 Shadow 11 38k full RR service History.

IMO the build quality of my roller was superior to that of my Lexus.

Hi and thanks for your note. The RR is a superior car in many ways, not least that wonderful 'SPIRIT OF ECSTACY' - so much more alluring than that offered by MB!

One day I will buy another more modern RR or a Bentley - maybe a Corniche Convertible. At the moment am concentrating on a business move, so am putting expensive decisions on hold!

Kindest regards

David

Welcome David, the more you drive it the more you will love it, if you have a wet boot remove the seal clean it & silicone the lip pop it back on, the boot will then be dry its one of the few problems with the Ls.

happy motoring Mark :D

Hi Mark thanks for the advice!

I will do that next week as have also found that the ariel was a bit loose. Have tightened up, but think I should pop a bit of silicone there as well, once I have slackened it off again. The boot absolutely stinks, but now all the fabric has been removed to dry. I have left out the drain plugs to give a bit of ventillation.

Kindest regards - and didn't know the LS had any problems............................................!

David

Sounds like a lovely car you've got there, post up some pics when you get a chance :)

Hi and yes will post some pics when I find out how to do it! The car is lovely and drove 70 miles today in absolute luxury, save for the wipers making an unholy din. I will post again about this subject!

Kindest regards

David

Hi David and welcome!

For the past 5 years or so I've owned a 1990 LS400 and that too continues to amaze me. Not so much with its opulence - my previous car was a 1983 Granada Ghia X which IMO was, with its Chatsworth velour trim, more impressive to look at and perhaps a little more comfortable. However, unlike the Granada, the LS ultimately delivers what it promises, with absolute smoothness, quietness and dogged reliability. (It doesn't rattle or creak either.) I daresay the 1997 version is even better! One problem which plagued me on the Granada was that of warping brake discs. After considerable research, I found that the solution was to have them machined whilst on the hub, and the only workshop suitably equipped in the area was that of a Rolls Royce engineer who (unbelievably) happened to live in my street! I remember him saying that this was a common fault on RRs, and no laughing matter given the price of new discs.

Of course, all that sort of thing is history with the LS400. My only advice would be to absolutely insist on genuine Toyota parts where possible (including fluids), or failing that, ADL Blueprint.

Enjoy!

R.P.

Hi RP and many thanks for the interesting info. I didn't have any trouble with warped disks on the RR, but only travelled about 5,000 miles in the 3 years of ownership.

I have driven a Granada and found it most comfortable, if a little unsubtle when pushed! The Lexus reminds me a lot of the RR on cornering and I have yet to discover the limits of adhesion. I have owned Citroen XM's for many years and these cars are far more stable than the LS. However it must be said that I don't find this a problem as although I love the acceleration of the LS, I don't feel inclined to drive it like a Lotus around corners!

I will certainly take your advice about genuine parts and just hope it doesn't bankrupt me! However I have always believed that if you can't afford to drive a particular car - - - you should buy a cheaper one!

Kindest regards and many thanks

David

Hi David, and welcome from another Almondsbury resident. I've had my 430 for a couple of months now and love driving it.

It is very much my car for "best", as I seem to do a lost of journeys conveying muddy children, large objects, and trips to the tip, at which my Grand Espace excels.

Andrew

Hi David, and welcome from another Almondsbury resident. I've had my 430 for a couple of months now and love driving it.

It is very much my car for "best", as I seem to do a lost of journeys conveying muddy children, large objects, and trips to the tip, at which my Grand Espace excels.

Andrew

Hi Andrew and thanks for the kind welcome! I have never knowingly seen a 430, so would appreciate having a quick look at yours if convenient. Just please don't tell me it is for sale!

I have an old (1956) Land Rover for the dirty stuff, but haven't used it since buying the 400. I am sure that this will change as the weather warms up and we go rag top or perish the thought - even topless! (Presently hard top!)

Kindest regards and will look out for you.

David

Andrew

Hi Andrew and thanks for the kind welcome! I have never knowingly seen a 430, so would appreciate having a quick look at yours if convenient. Just please don't tell me it is for sale!

I have an old (1956) Land Rover for the dirty stuff, but haven't used it since buying the 400. I am sure that this will change as the weather warms up and we go rag top or perish the thought - even topless! (Presently hard top!)

Kindest regards and will look out for you.

David

Hi Andrew, just a thought - can you recommend anyone for Lexus servicing? I don't want to pay main dealer money, but I do want to use genuine parts etc.

Kindest regards

David

I have owned Citroen XM's for many years and these cars are far more stable than the LS.

Hush ! You will wake up old Skellington...

Sorry but these cars are pretty much supreme in my eyes. The Xantia replacement (C5) still has yet to match the wizadry of the old XM. I have had over 20 of these cars, from the humble 2.0 petrol to the 24 valve V6 in both auto and manual forms. The early cars had some earthing problems and rust can attack the front jacking points if the points are poorly used, but that aside I don't have any cause to complain.

I used a 2.1 TD to tow a heavy car trailer with estate car atop over many miles. The same trip counfounded both a 3.5 Range Rover and a TDI Discovery to tow at motorway speeds with some degree of control. Caravan towing with a 2.5 TD was a breeze, with many cars struggling to maintain 60 mph up the A30 from Cornwall towing poxy camping trailers. They would flash past me down the hills and then I would sedately cruise past them up the next hill, towing my caravan. Fuel consumption was excellent, though I did have to keep the power down to avoid over-heating. This eventually proved to be a fault with this particular car and LED to an engine seizure - also whilst towing!

I have moved home for 2 people in estate cars, and once had to carry the mattress on the roof all the way back from London. These cars 'do what they say on the tin' and are perfectly reliable if properly maintained. Sadly main dealers and 'experts' prefer to replace a whole load of parts before they start to engage the grey matter, much to the detriment of this much-maligned marque.

Am I waffling? Maybe but have just woken up on a Sunday afternoon and must have had a sugar rush!

Kindest regards and will keep 'Mum'!

Actually, I think the Déesse was one of the greatest cars of all time. A pity that the punitive French tax system on engine size prevented it (and most other French cars, but not the Facel Vega!) from having a better engine.

Citroën's very recent version of the DS is an insult.

Hi David,

Although I haven't used them, another member recommended Bond Motors, I thought I would probably give them a go when mine needed a service.

Andrew

PS I'll pop into Bedlam when I'm passing :)

Actually, I think the Déesse was one of the greatest cars of all time. A pity that the punitive French tax system on engine size prevented it (and most other French cars, but not the Facel Vega!) from having a better engine.

Citroën's very recent version of the DS is an insult.

I have never driven a DS, but would love a later 21 with fuel injection. I did have a CX familiale, which was amazing but a bit ragged down one side!

I assume you mean the new C6? I have driven one and think it is an amazing machine and probably better even than my beloved XM!

The reviews have been pretty good, which is good for a French car!

Kindest regards

David

Hi David,

Although I haven't used them, another member recommended Bond Motors, I thought I would probably give them a go when mine needed a service.

Andrew

PS I'll pop into Bedlam when I'm passing :)

Hi Andrew and thanks for the advice. Please pop in at any time and you will be most welcome!

Kindest regards and thanks for the advice.

David

I have owned Citroen XM's for many years and these cars are far more stable than the LS.

Hush ! You will wake up old Skellington...

YAWNNNN! Wot??? Huh?

Oh, the Citroen suspension system. I remember a time.when I were a lad.........

Old Setright, now driving the great skyway, used to reckon the XM was ace too! Reckoned the seats were good. I could have bought one(2/3....) with the dosh my LS has depreciated!

I somewhere have an article comparing the R-R with a (Ser 1) Lexus and preferring the Lex apart from the interior; well, the Rolls DOES have rather fancy fittings!

Sorry it took so long. Something ate me that I didn't agree with!

the answer is for me that I gave up Citroens after 25 years for the LS.

Not even the C6 can tempt me (unless its free).

But might shrink down to a Cube! (Or as I've said before, a Mehari garaged by the Med!) :whistling: