Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Big Horn Speakers.....gone!

I'm sure all my Fan club (Hah! :whistling: ) will be shocked to know that I've sold the famous speakers. Now back to good old classics for a while (Leak Sandwich; Snell C111s; Townshend Glastonburys). All of which are good, but not a patch on that BIG sound!

They look seriously expensive...

My Monitor Audio S5s are plenty good enough for me, and they look classy too so the missus doesn't mind having floor-standers in the living room!! ;)

O.K.

They are (were :crybaby: ) Avantgarde Duos. Fantastic horn speakers (though you should see the TRIO!!) The bass box has built-in amp, 250 watts per.

BUT, they need NO power (hardly) to run.Can run on 8 watss, LOUD!!

Horn speakers are VERY efficient, as well as very dynamic and after you've heard horns, most others sound..... well, boxed in, I guess!

I'm -next - going for a single unit, full-range speaker, based on 50s speaker technology (Which was pretty advanced, believe it or not!)

I'd love to try a Feastrex unit, but they, (made with paper made by a sixth generation, Japanese paper master), can cost $69000 a pair, without boxes!

Right now, I'm rebuilding my old Hafler DH 101/200 amps and using Leak Sandwich speakers! A REAL retro system!

Hi-fi - and music, coming from 60s Liverpool - a life's interest!!!

Cant believe you've sold them Chris :o Always remember having a read up on them, after i'd read one of your posts about your setup and was quite facinated by the horns :D

Quite suprising how the horns seem to find the hidden music compared to standard boxed units and the clarity makes you tingle :D Will look forward to what you have next :D