Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Possible Faults In Is200 Headlamp Washer System - Help!

Hi all, new to the forum as I have trouble with my IS200 headlamp washers. They just stopped working in the last couple of weeks (well I noticed in the last week or so).

I have read some of the threads but can't find any solutions, so maybe someone can point me in the right direction?

Here's what I know and what I don't...

1. They should work with the headlights on... duh

2. They will work once when you use the winscreen wash first time (they are not doing this...)

3. The jets are pushed out by water pressure, ... the reservoir is full, I was caught out on that before

4. The jets are free to move, I can pull them out from the bumber and they retract with a slow pneumatic pressure pulling them back

5. The dash switch seems to be OK because... when I switch the engine off (to accessory) and try the switch, I can hear a relay under the bonnet clicking, so the switch is working.

6. My windscreen washers are working OK...

here's where I am stuck:

Q1. Anyone know if there is a fuse for the headlamp washer, if yes, where is it (engine bay or NS/PS footwell)?

Q2. Anyone know which relay it is under the engine bay I hear? Maybe it is tricky.

Q3. Where is the motor for the headlamp washer motor (I read some thread said it was under the reservoir?)

Q4. Any "known" faults that anyone has encountered? I would hope it is unlikley the motor is goosed as it should surely be rated to many years of (relatively low) usage.

Thanks in advance for any pointers,

Cheers,

Will (PS ... I haven't called my local Lexus dealer yet, ... )

Pull them out and give the nozzles a good clean may be full of crap off the roads due to gritting etc.

Hi Andy, ... thanks will give it a try, but I think it is more serious as the pressure needed to push the jets out of the bumper should likewise clear the nozzles. I suspect the pump or a fuse, but no idea how to start fault finding the electrics until I get a heads up on relevant fuses/relay...

Cheers, Will

My headlamp washers aren't working, but when I press the button I can hear the motor buzzing, do you hear anything like that ? I still need to investigate mine but haven't got round to taking off the bumper to have a look yet.

The motor is by the water tank, yes. See this diagram. A relay is there too. There is also a relay that is used in the engine compartment, 30A H-LP CLN.

It uses the same fuse as the windscreen washers, in the driver's side fuse box. So if the windscreen washers are working ok it isn't the fuse.

My headlamp washers aren't working, but when I press the button I can hear the motor buzzing, do you hear anything like that ? I still need to investigate mine but haven't got round to taking off the bumper to have a look yet.

The motor is by the water tank, yes. See this diagram. A relay is there too. There is also a relay that is used in the engine compartment, 30A H-LP CLN.

It uses the same fuse as the windscreen washers, in the driver's side fuse box. So if the windscreen washers are working ok it isn't the fuse.

Thanks Stevie, I don't hear anything other than the relay clicking. Hope it's not the motor that is knacked. Will check the relays mentioned and thanks for the drawing. Good one, cheers,

Will

Sounds like your motor isn't operating since mine makes a distinctive noise when I press the switch. Hopefully it is something simple, e.g. someone's had the bumper off in the past and has removed/dislodged a connector.

There are some troubleshooting suggestions here.

Let us know how you get on.

Sounds like your motor isn't operating since mine makes a distinctive noise when I press the switch. Hopefully it is something simple, e.g. someone's had the bumper off in the past and has removed/dislodged a connector.

There are some troubleshooting suggestions here.

Let us know how you get on.

Thanks again, top man Stevie,

Cheers, Will

PS ... It is looking likley it is the motor, from what you said. I've owned the car last 5years and never had a problem until now...

hmmm...this sounds interesting steve...my drivers side headlight washer is fine as the motor pops up and sprays the light but the passenger side doesnt do anything and its the original washer motor thats fitted there now. when the car was at the bodyshop I provided them with 2 motors but saved whatever parts could be saved but when the new motor was fitted it didnt work so when the car went back I gave them the original motor and it still dont work. they ended up breaking the initial one btw so thats why the one thats fitted to the car at the moment is the original that was on the car when I got it. could there be a blockage of some sort in the pipe? i think i may have to get the bumper off in the summer and check it all out.