Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hello everybody.

i was just wondering if this explanation is a burnt out wiring loom, if so how much is it likely to cost, and is it a big job? thanks

basically, my neighbour has a 1995 ls400. he has had 14 years of trouble free motoring but then decided, its time to change, so he purchased a 08 vw Phaeton, any way, he had arranged to p/ex the ls. untill 2 days ago he was stopped and the dashboard litup. he sed the low window washer water light was on and also rear lights, and a few other warning lights, he managed to drive it home and then it sat there, he picked up the phaeton 2 day and has also got the ls because it failed to start. he has paid what he would of got in partex so both the cars are his. i was just wondering if any1 has any info regards to the Problem, he sed he thinks its the wiring loom because of the distinct smell and smoke.

Thanks

Anuj

Hi,

Do you know from where the smell and smoke were coming from?

The LS as with all Lexus models are well protected from electrical shorts as nearly everything is fused so I would 1st check all the fuses both internal under the steering wheel and in the engine bay fuse/relay box.

You also say it will not start, is it cranking and not firing or is it completely dead?

I seem to remember a few posts where the symptoms you describe were caused by a faulty alternator.

Update on the motor.

well the car is now ares, i am friends with a lexus mechanic who very kindly came to our house today to have a look at it. having worked on lexus for around 16years, he knows where to look so straight away he got to work, all 8 spark pugs were replaced. this did not do the job, so engine was opened up and oil was put through it e.t.c. anyway 2 hours later the car starts.

the problem is, that the power steering pump has a leek, which has then dripped on to the alternator which has broke it, so the car starts when using jump leads. so next things to do are (definite alternator) and maybe just replace the power steering pump to prevent this from happening again. so if anybody cant point me in the right direction for this it will be appreciated, the car will be used to cruise the motorways 80miles a day, so the gs300 can be used on the weekends. Thanks

Anuj

Leaking PS fluid onto the alternator is a popular problem on this model.

The leak is often traced to just a failed O ring below the pump reservoir, your mechanic

should have known this.

New alternator and new O ring [hopefully] shoud fix it.

This subject is widely covered in the forums here and the USA LOC

another update!. basically what we intend to do first is to remove the alternator, and clean- dry it out, also what Royt said about the o-ring is correct, i have just purchased some fluid that guarantees to stop the leak if it is to do with the rubbers, which it is. so we will degrease the power steering pump and then see if it defo leaking from the seal

then this stuff will be added, we will then assess how bad the alternator is, although i have spoke to a place in aintree, which is up the road that will recondition the alternator for between £40 and £70.

all done, alternator turned out to be £110+ vat, but managed to get it discounted 2 vat off.

power steering pump has been degreased, and just keeping an eye on it. so all we need to do is get a drivers side door handle, which we sourced in a scrappy, and tax and insure the car, i think we will do it in April 1st.

so we have untill then to do everything, which included a full professional valet, without a doubt, it is disgusting.

p.s does any1 know if the mk1 drivers side exterior door handle is the same as the mk2?

thanks,

Hello to my friends in Liverpool/Aintree etc! I spent my childhood in Walton-on-the-Hill.

As to Serie 2, 3 etc BOTH were about in 95. as I've posted before! It was change-over year.

The Ser 2 has separate spot lights in the front skirt, the Ser 3 has one composite light.

And usually the parts AREN'T transferable!

Don't know WHY I'm helping Scousers. I'm a United fan! After a slight hiccup at the weekend, and with Everton in semis........ :crybaby:

Enjoy the driving!

haha^^ excellent, but lets not get started on the football eh.

any way, yeh we have the mk3 then it was the 1995 onwards think untill 97 maybe when it was facelifted.

so is there anyway of finding out if the mk1 handle will fit are 1? part numbers.

thanks, oh yeh nearly forgot 4-1

haha^^ excellent, but lets not get started on the football eh.

any way, yeh we have the mk3 then it was the 1995 onwards think untill 97 maybe when it was facelifted.

so is there anyway of finding out if the mk1 handle will fit are 1? part numbers.

thanks, oh yeh nearly forgot 4-1

Don't be getting carried away, with 4-1! Middlesboro?

Anyway....Lexus never 'facelift'! The Ser 3 had 80% change from the 2, and the Ser 4 even had a different engine from the 3.....Doubt if even the Handles were the same. It's the spirit of Kaizen philosophy(gradual improvement by tiny changes)

I also lived in Howe Bridge, which ain't too far from that Scrapyard!

Roll on Fulham......(and hope to avoid UK teams in next round....Villareal again?)