Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Undecided On A Potential Car..

Hiya, had a look around for some IS200's today, and found a particular one im quite interested in, however I dont really know if its a good deal or not..

Specs are:

IS200 Sport, 2003 (53 reg)

Silver, 35k on the clock, FSH (3 stamps), condition seems good, couple of stone chips here and there, clean wheels, went for a test drive - the engine was silent which i was quite amazed about, no knocking sounds when over bumps or strange noises while driving. Engine looks ok, lil rust bits here and there but as expected really. He had it there for a good year though, just sitting on the forecourt because i used to drive past it everyday lol! Originally it was like £8.8k but now reduced because of credit crunch he said..

£5.5k & my p/x @ £2k (original price was £8k but i've knocked them down £500, service + MOT, possible full tank too?).

I like the car, im pretty sure im going to get a lexus now after the test drive, just a matter of which..

Edit: my choices are atm are SE's are around £6k, Sports I can find some are £7k but further away (100+miles) and then theres this. @ £7.5k without needing to travel much sounds tempting.. Or should I just wait for a better deal to come along?

Any opinions/recommendations/actions/insults welcome. :) thanks in advance!

I just bought a 52 plate SE on 35.5K FLSH, in red, reasonable wheels with a couple of marks for 6k with no p/x.

I'm prettysure you could get that a bit cheaper.

Thanks buddy, yeah ~£6k seems to be the going rate for SE's, may i ask whats the reason for an IS200 for u? and how are you finding it? :)

Edit: my choices are atm are SE's are around £6k, Sports I can find some are £7k but further away (100+miles) and then theres this. @ £7.5k without needing to travel much sounds tempting.. Or should I just wait for a better deal to come along?

Prices sound about right to me, most cars i've looked have are around that price so i decided to put mine up for £6200

If you're budget can stretch to £7.5-8k then I wouldn't bother with that car - at that price you could easily get an '04' and possibly even an '05' SE (with the added bonus that '04's had full leather and '05's added satnav to this)

If you're budget can stretch to £7.5-8k then I wouldn't bother with that car - at that price you could easily get an '04' and possibly even an '05' SE (with the added bonus that '04's had full leather and '05's added satnav to this)

Ah, you are quite correct sir, Thanks! found an IS Sport 2004 (facelift model?), full leather. same price, but two owners @ 29k miles.. hmm... :unsure:

I've come from a 306 and was just looking for something that was a good size, had a few toys and made a nice noise. The other reason was that i wanted something respectable looking that wouldn't look out of place visiting clients in.

Its very different at the moment, it doesn't handle any near as good as the 306 but its not the same type of car. Its good on a cruise, comfy and relatively simple to park. Just wish the fuel economy was a bit better.

I don't regret swapping in anyway though as its a fantastic car.

Ah, you are quite correct sir, Thanks! found an IS Sport 2004 (facelift model?), full leather. same price, but two owners @ 29k miles.. hmm... :unsure:

Not necessarily a concern, could have been bought as an ex-demo, try to find out who the first owner was.

The IS was never really facelifted, they just made model updates first in 2001, then 2004. The '04' cars have darker headlamps, full leather and 11 spoke alloys (in either silver or anthracite). 2005 was the last year for the IS200, so they gave the SE satnav as standard, as well as the rear spoiler off the sport.

Its very different at the moment, it doesn't handle any near as good as the 306 but its not the same type of car. Its good on a cruise, comfy and relatively simple to park. Just wish the fuel economy was a bit better.

Consider getting your geometry done, and if you need them get a full set of 4 good tyres, I did this and it transformed my IS200, I thought the handling was poor at first, now it's pretty good :)

Consider getting your geometry done, and if you need them get a full set of 4 good tyres, I did this and it transformed my IS200, I thought the handling was poor at first, now it's pretty good :)

get yourself down to wheels in motion in Chesham, they have the right settings for a drastic improvement in handling

Thats the thing though, the IS is a good handling car, however the 306 is/was the best handling car in its class. Lift off oversteer being great fun on private roads. So i doubt unless i spend a lot of money the IS would never keep up with a well driven 306 through a series of bends.

And WIM is on my list of things to do.

Thats the thing though, the IS is a good handling car, however the 306 is/was the best handling car in its class. Lift off oversteer being great fun on private roads. So i doubt unless i spend a lot of money the IS would never keep up with a well driven 306 through a series of bends.

How do you know if your car hasn't been WIM'd ? :winky:

You'd be suprised at the difference it makes. Uprated ARBs also make a *huge* difference to the handling.

Thats cheap as chips tbf I was expecting way more, would be a nice excuse to go for a long drive too ;) I just need the car though :(

It's a great time to be buying though ! Loads of used ones around, prices much lower than they used to be, so just take your time and wait till you find one that feels exactly right for you. Then post up lots of pics for us to see ! :D

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links