Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Alpine Subwoofer Swx1042d

Hi guys/gal,

Got myself an Alpine 10" type X subwoofer SWX1042 D (Nominal Power Handling: 1000 Watt RMS) with slot enclosure and im wondering if i should use a 1000rms amp or should i use one thats 500rms. The reason why i ask is, is it best to under power the sub (by 500rms too under powered) or to power it to it's max. I don't want to over stress the amp and also don't want to under power it and end up with something that sounds rubbish. I'm really only looking into alpine or JL amps. Thanks!

Hi guys/gal,

Got myself an Alpine 10" type X subwoofer SWX1042 D (Nominal Power Handling: 1000 Watt RMS) with slot enclosure and im wondering if i should use a 1000rms amp or should i use one thats 500rms. The reason why i ask is, is it best to under power the sub (by 500rms too under powered) or to power it to it's max. I don't want to over stress the amp and also don't want to under power it and end up with something that sounds rubbish. I'm really only looking into alpine or JL amps. Thanks!

if you under power it and turn it up too much you will clip the signal and this is what damages the sub. If you use a 1k amp you will run less risk of clipping and damaging the sub..

its a dual 4 ohm sub so i would suggest running it off a 1k + monoblock at 2 ohm.

Why Alpine or JL only??

I really dont rate the Alpine amps and the realy dont give there rated power unless there is a 14v power supply which is unlikely off the standard bat/alt.

the JL 1000/1 is a very good amp with a good balance of Sq and power. At £600 + isnt the most cost effective option but if money is no option then go for it with the rbc 1 bass controller. about £40/£50. Be sure to set it up properly though to get the most out of it....

An alternative is one of the Hifonics amps.. these hold some of the world spl records. I use two of the Brutus amps in our megane coupe and im very impressed..

amp

have a think about this one which is on sale.. i 'think' its 1600 rms at 2 ohm.. which gives you more headroom for the future..

the less powerfull, new model is £300. alternative amp

The hifonics also come with the bass controller included..

Before doing any of this you will need to seriously think about power supply, at a minimum you will need to upgrade the Battery and o gauge wiring + the big three..

let me know if you need any more help.. might be able to help you get a good deal!

mmm...never knew i had to change the Battery as well to a 14v one...but does that mean i would have to change alternator as well, otherwise it won't charge the car Battery at 12v. The reason why i like to stick with alpine and JL is they are relatively common and easy to get hold of on eBay compared with other brands that do 1k+ watts and for looks thou alpine amps looks sexy as. TBH i won't be turning this thing up in volumes, cos i don't see why i would need to lol. Another reason why i got the type X sub is it was pretty cheap (£130 includes delivery with enclosure, secondhand). I'd rather buy an amp that won't damage the sub. This is a side project which im gathering the bits for over the year when they arrise. Oh also got a capacitor which is buried in the attic somewhere..think it's 1.2 farads . Think tops i would pay for an mono amp for me would be around £300 reigon.

mmm...never knew i had to change the battery as well to a 14v one...but does that mean i would have to change alternator as well, otherwise it won't charge the car battery at 12v. The reason why i like to stick with alpine and JL is they are relatively common and easy to get hold of on ebay compared with other brands that do 1k+ watts and for looks thou alpine amps looks sexy as. TBH i won't be turning this thing up in volumes, cos i don't see why i would need to lol. Another reason why i got the type X sub is it was pretty cheap (£130 includes delivery with enclosure, secondhand). I'd rather buy an amp that won't damage the sub. This is a side project which im gathering the bits for over the year when they arrise. Oh also got a capacitor which is buried in the attic somewhere..think it's 1.2 farads . Think tops i would pay for an mono amp for me would be around £300 reigon.

You will just about get away with a 500w amp on the stock Battery..

i would again advise away from the Alpine.. if you must stick to those two then go for the JL a 500/1 may do you fine. would still say the hifonics are your best bet for money..

as for the 14v.. maybe i confused you slightly.. when the engine is on, it should show between 13/14 v, alpines like 14v continuous for ther rated output, unlike the JL which uses dif technology.. the hifonics will put there rated power out on a decent 12v..

you will need a bigger Battery if you go for 1k, especially if using a 2nd amp.

i