Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Wax

gib

Hi,

been looking to invest in some new wax. Bored with the old stuff.

Some old threads refer to Collinite. Its cheap enough, but looks like a tin of wax from the 70's!

There are also two versions - can anyone recommend? Or shall I look elsewhere?

Regards

Over the years I've tried most of them but I keep going back to Meguirs. Real easy to use and always a great finish.

The one I have'nt tried which I am LED to believe is excellent is Mothers, very big in the States and if Chp Foose recommends it then it should be good.

But like anything it is what you are comfortable with No doubt others will come along with their favourites.

Personally mate, id go for this. Its an excellent wax, and it is fantastic VFM!

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wax/victoria...x/prod_234.html

I saw the pics of the white GTR that you detailed Very imressive. Which polish / waxes did you use.

I have had dark coloured cars before and I find it's always easier to get a deeper shine. The white although I am happy with the shine and finish I get from Meguirs is always more work.

If you click on my RX300 CLICK for pics link and click on the Spring clean collection I would like your comments please.

Terry

post-5231-1236542648.jpg

The one I have'nt tried which I am led to believe is excellent is Mothers, very big in the States and if Chp Foose recommends it then it should be good.

:lol:

Chip is contracted to recommend it by Mothers!

Surely to goodness you can see the marketing strategy behind that one?

gib - whilst Collinite is a decent wax, I wouldn't buy on the notion that it lasts a long time.

Like all carnauba waxes, they degrade and age over the course of 12-16 weeks, when it's recommended to strip any that remains, and reapply from scratch once again.

To that end, I'd recommend any of the Dodo hard waxes. That said, have you considered the sealant route with the likes of Optimum OptiSeal or Zaino?

Assuming that's your car in the signature banner, then silver and sealants are the best pairing.

Even my own favourite sealant - Bilt Hamber Auto-balm, would struggle to make the colour stand out.

Thanks for the replies.

Hwen I got the car back in August, I used a clay bar, then a sealant (Klasse?) and have been applying wax ever since. I generally use Meguiars, but as I said, variation is good!

I have looked at both Victoria and Dodo waxes which I liked the look of. But Collinite always comes up as good VFM. My car gets polished/waxed every other week, so the long lasting protection isnt a major consideration.

But shine is, which is what I am looking for.

Thanks

gib - whilst Collinite is a decent wax, I wouldn't buy on the notion that it lasts a long time.

Like all carnauba waxes, they degrade and age over the course of 12-16 weeks, when it's recommended to strip any that remains, and reapply from scratch once again.

To that end, I'd recommend any of the Dodo hard waxes. That said, have you considered the sealant route with the likes of Optimum OptiSeal or Zaino?

Assuming that's your car in the signature banner, then silver and sealants are the best pairing.

Even my own favourite sealant - Bilt Hamber Auto-balm, would struggle to make the colour stand out.

Which Dodo wax would you suggest? - my car is the silver one in the banner.

The one I have'nt tried which I am led to believe is excellent is Mothers, very big in the States and if Chp Foose recommends it then it should be good.

Yes "surely to goodness" I can but Chip Foose is not going to put his reputation behind a crap product! Surely to goodness you can see that.

Yes "surely to goodness" I can but Chip Foose is not going to put his reputation behind a crap product! Surely to goodness you can see that.

Trust me when I say Mothers is merely alright, and yes, people will think it's the best thing since sliced bread, because Chip recommends it.

Those same "trusting" people are ones who'd use Armour All and Meguiar's, and probably Turtle Wax - all very average products in the grand scheme of things, but will make the car look nice and shiny for a while, as well as easy to apply and get off.

Horses for courses as the adage goes.

Which Dodo wax would you suggest? - my car is the silver one in the banner.

Any of the hard ones - the colour charging is a bit more marketing than substance, so don't fret over which one to get. Just get a hard one as it'll be easier to apply a thin layer each time.

That said, I really do urge you to consider a sealant instead, but if you must use a wax, then do so in conjunction with a pre-wax cleanser/glaze such as Dodo Lime Prime Lite or Clearkote Vanilla Moose Glaze.

Dodo Diamond White would be the considered choice for silver/white paint, but like I said, it really doesn't make any perceptible difference which one you decide on.

Auto-balm is a sealant, only paste form.

The general opinion on waxes, is that they imbue the paint with a warm tone, whereas sealants (typically clear liquid) are a bit more sterile/matter of fact.

From this you get the main reason people use a sealant under a wax layer - better durability typically, and to tone down the sterility.

This is fine on darker paints, and perhaps more pronounced/noticeable but on silver and white, you're wasting you time as the pigment doesn't seem to change, so a sealant makes the flake pop that bit more, generally.

Auto-balm is wax-like in its appearance characteristics regarding warmth/wetness, but doesn't bead water like a carnauba wax does, and some other sealants, but that's purely a cosmetic aspect, and can be a detractor since dirt in the air/minerals dissolved in the water gets left behind when it evaporates, leaving the hideous looking water spots.

AB tends to sheet the water, or pools it, depending on the slope of the surface, which reduces the unsightliness of the spotting.

On a silver/white car, the only benefit of AB will be the durability and glossiness, along with swirl reduction through its fillers, like AG SRP, and others.