on the back of my Dell, i got 6 speaker connections:-

coloured

Pink

green - Left and Right jack

blue -

Grey - Surround L/&R

Black - Rear L&R

orange - Subwoofer

So what speakers do i get that basically are a pair of speakers going to a single jack.

ta

more after the how rather then the make.

Im seeing all these 5.1 systems on eBay, but wonder how they hook up, are they taking a stereo input from my L/R jack and then outputing a 5.1 or are will they have pairs of speakers that i can connect as per my jacks.

ok, I see what you're asking now, sorry. A set of PC 5.1 speakers should come with all the necessary cables to plug into your various jacks, yes, your PC can obviously handle 5.1 (or more). There might be other sets of 5.1 speakers that are designed for other purposes though.

on the back of my Dell, i got 6 speaker connections:-

coloured

Pink

green - Left and Right Jack

blue -

Grey - Surround L/&R

Black - Rear L&R

orange - Subwoofer

So what speakers do i get that basically are a pair of speakers going to a single jack.

ta

From connections alone - you have a 7.1 surround sound audio card - so might be worth getting 7.1 speakers. (yes, a pair of speakers going to a single jack)

BUT if it's a Creative soundcard it's worth matching it with a creative set of speakers (they have annoying jack hookups that are unique to them)

@ hando. yes yoru right tis 7.1 now that i think about it, it seems to be realtek high def audio software but it is not on a separate card as it was integrated in the dell build.

yeah realtek do most of the onboard audio components.

You can make that work with a Creative 7.1 analogue speaker set up but it requires a little bit of fiddling and one more cable than the speakers are supplied with.

With surround sound setups you can end up spending as much as you want (some audiophiles will pay through the nose) but if you don't want to break the bank: these are what I have and they're pretty good.