Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Maximum Wheel Size For Lexus Is 200/300?

dark cambion

Does anyone know what the maximum wheel size you can put on a LEXUS IS 200/300?

I want to purchase a set of chrome rims from the US. Minimum size 18" but preferably size 19" or 20"

If I were to purchase 20" wheels what Tyre size would I require and would I run into problems driving my car in any way?

Any help is much appreciated!!

:)

I want to purchase a set of chrome rims from the US. Minimum size 18" but preferably size 19" or 20"

If I were to purchase 20" wheels what Tyre size would I require and would I run into problems driving my car in any way?

20s are definitely doable although many will tell you its not wise , I am also planning a set of 20s at some point (getting coilovers 1st though) , theres a wheel guide on here somewhere ill take a look in a wee while for you , i know it says with 19s to go no wider than an 8j But if you have a look over in Americana this doesnt seem to apply (they all seem to be riding on coils there though with big rims)

What suspension are you intending to go with 20" rims ?

I cant help on tyre width etc but im sure someone will be along who know better than me .

20s are never going to function in the way your OEM alloys do they will put extra stress on certain parts due to the extra weight but hey i can put up with thta as i think they look immense on the IS.

20s are definitely doable although many will tell you its not wise , I am also planning a set of 20s at some point (getting coilovers 1st though) , theres a wheel guide on here somewhere ill take a look in a wee while for you , i know it says with 19s to go no wider than an 8j But if you have a look over in Americana this doesnt seem to apply (they all seem to be riding on coils there though with big rims)

What suspension are you intending to go with 20" rims ?

I cant help on tyre width etc but im sure someone will be along who know better than me .

20s are never going to function in the way your OEM alloys do they will put extra stress on certain parts due to the extra weight but hey i can put up with thta as i think they look immense on the IS.

Thanks abbott. :winky:

I was worried that 20" were not possible. I wont be speeding anymore When I get my rims as it would be wise to take it easy. I'm intending to buy an IS 300 soon, and flipping the wheels onto that. Like you, I think 20" chrome will look awesome and will be a jaw dropping site for anyone who sees it riding by, especially as they will be a US set of wheels. B)

I can't stand the limited choice we have in the UK, with most aftermarket wheel shops reluctant to stock or order in US chrome because of peeling issues caused by the salt on the roads or ice and the generally bad climate we suffer here.

I will be putting them on from March-November, and than change to an 18" or 19" alloy set for the winter months to look after my chrome.

As for suspension, I have no idea what to do, is it necessary? What would you suggest I get or do? :unsure:

Size is not particuarly relevant, probably just have to remove the arch liner if you want to have them tucked nicely.

The major issue is the width and offset of wheels you want to run. Not many manufacturers make wheels in offsets to suit the IS.

Size is not particuarly relevant, probably just have to remove the arch liner if you want to have them tucked nicely.

The major issue is the width and offset of wheels you want to run. Not many manufacturers make wheels in offsets to suit the IS.

In my personal opinion you'd be crazy to run 20" rims on an IS200/300 for everyday transport, as I've found 19" difficult to live with on my IS250, and that's got a larger rolling radius than the first generation IS so has slightly more sidewall to cushion road irregularities. Tyres on 20" rims on a 1st generation will look like elastic bands, and will be at the mercy of every pothole, manhole cover and even moderately sized stones. :crying: Good business for the wheel refurbishers and tyre fitters though :whistling: .

Here's the link you need http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...hl=wheels+tyres

and another for general info http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...hp?showforum=30

if you go on to you tube and type in bailme on the search bar you will see a boy running 20s on both his is200/300!and it also has a serious slam job too!!!!

• 3 weeks later...
There are some guys here running 19" rims, they may be able to comment (I think you may need some arch rolling ?). Don't know if anyone is running 20s.

Little did I know when I replied saying even 19" can be difficult to live with :blush: The low temperatures earlier this year has left a lot of potholes, and one of my front wheels found one :tsktsk: New tyre too. :shutit:

Some welding required I think, but will also place a spare on order so I have a spare outer rim to swop over (they're two piece forged centres and rims).

29032009065.jpg

There are some guys here running 19" rims, they may be able to comment (I think you may need some arch rolling ?). Don't know if anyone is running 20s.

Little did I know when I replied saying even 19" can be difficult to live with :blush: The low temperatures earlier this year has left a lot of potholes, and one of my front wheels found one :tsktsk: New tyre too. :shutit:

Some welding required I think, but will also place a spare on order so I have a spare outer rim to swop over (they're two piece forged centres and rims).

29032009065.jpg

OUCH :tsktsk: . theres a road in our area with plenty of potholes but the council decided to dig up and resurface another road which i thought was ok :unsure: :tsktsk: muppets