Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What Did My Car Cost New In 1997

My dad looked at buying one in 1997 but then bought an S500 instead, the price was around £50k but can't remember the exact price. As far as I remember there were no options except metallic paint :)

My dad looked at buying one in 1997 but then bought an S500 instead, the price was around £50k but can't remember the exact price. As far as I remember there were no options except metallic paint :)

Hi many thanks for this info. I believe my car has metallic paint and is pained in 2-tone.

The Orlando 'pad' looks very posh!

Kindest regards

David

No probs, I remember it actually costing considerably less than it's rivals as all the kit was standard.

Cheers mate, actually offer discounts to LOC members so give me a shout if you ever plan a trip out there!

The new car order form for my 1993 shows an on the road price of £37,201. I bought the car a couple weeks ago for £750, that's a massive depreciation hit for someone and a massive savings for me. :devil:

Hi you seem to have paid a very low price! These cars are so beautiful in operation and to view. I have had many cars, but I do think these are the very best bargains. The fuel economy is a bit poor, but the cost is small compared to the driving experience!

Best of luck and enjoy your bargain.

Kindest regards

David

Thanks, I am enjoying it. Not sure how long the 20mpg will be fun, but so far, so good.

I intentionally bought cheap as I have always wanted to try an LS ever since they were first introduced, but I wanted a car I could walk away from should a big repair bill hit the mat. I think the filthy condition of the car was the main reason for the low price, but a weekend spent cleaning it has turned up a gem. I finally had a look through the service receipts a couple days ago and it is shocking how much money the first owner spent on the car.

Who ever gets my one next is going to have an easy ride. It's had a money-no-object life since I've had it. Always ran on BP Ultimate petrol, Castrol Edge fully synthetic oil change every six months regardless of mileage, Michelin Piolot Sport tyres all round, SL2Vi iPod video adapter and 18 months of warranty left. On ocassion it returns 23mpg average but I love it to bits and wouldn't have it any other way.

The new car order form for my 1993 shows an on the road price of £37,201. I bought the car a couple weeks ago for £750, that's a massive depreciation hit for someone and a massive savings for me. :devil:

Hi you seem to have paid a very low price! These cars are so beautiful in operation and to view. I have had many cars, but I do think these are the very best bargains. The fuel economy is a bit poor, but the cost is small compared to the driving experience!

Kindest regards

David

Convert it to run on LPG, a good conversion pays for itself & increases the value of the car, I get 40mpg equivelent out of mine average, & drove the 650 miles from south Germany to London for £42 due to lpg bieng 30 cents a litre in Belguim & that was cruising between 80 to 110 mph, the engine is also runs smoother on gas, its cheaper to run than my mothers corolla 1.6 vvti auto.

Kindest regards

David

Convert it to run on LPG, a good conversion pays for itself & increases the value of the car, I get 40mpg equivelent out of mine average, & drove the 650 miles from south Germany to London for £42 due to lpg bieng 30 cents a litre in Belguim & that was cruising between 80 to 110 mph, the engine is also runs smoother on gas, its cheaper to run than my mothers corolla 1.6 vvti auto.

Hi sounds interesting - do you have an idea of the cost and a company who can be recommended?

Kindest regards,

David

Thanks, I am enjoying it. Not sure how long the 20mpg will be fun, but so far, so good.

I intentionally bought cheap as I have always wanted to try an LS ever since they were first introduced, but I wanted a car I could walk away from should a big repair bill hit the mat. I think the filthy condition of the car was the main reason for the low price, but a weekend spent cleaning it has turned up a gem. I finally had a look through the service receipts a couple days ago and it is shocking how much money the first owner spent on the car.

Hi and what a shame the car was so badly looked after by the last owner towards the end. This is often the time that so many things aren't attended to that the car becomes a right-off by default.

You are indeed a lucky chap and am sure you will be as pleased as punch with your new toy!

Kindest regards

David

Who ever gets my one next is going to have an easy ride. It's had a money-no-object life since I've had it. Always ran on BP Ultimate petrol, Castrol Edge fully synthetic oil change every six months regardless of mileage, Michelin Piolot Sport tyres all round, SL2Vi iPod video adapter and 18 months of warranty left. On ocassion it returns 23mpg average but I love it to bits and wouldn't have it any other way.

Hi

Your car sounds just like my next acquisition! Maybe you could let me know..............................!!

Kindest regards

David

Hi sounds interesting - do you have an idea of the cost and a company who can be recommended?

There was a member on here (Haylands) who converted his LS430 to run on LPG and seemed to know absolutely everything about it! He recently sold the car so not sure if he's still about much but might be worth sending him a PM if you're thinking of converting.

It's definitely worth doing on big engined, poor on fuel cars like this as the conversion will pay for itself so quickly :)

There was a member on here (Haylands) who converted his LS430 to run on LPG and seemed to know absolutely everything about it! He recently sold the car so not sure if he's still about much but might be worth sending him a PM if you're thinking of converting.

It's definitely worth doing on big engined, poor on fuel cars like this as the conversion will pay for itself so quickly :)

Many thanks for this info. I know that I could well move up to a newer car next year (430?), so will find out the information now, ready for the next vehicle. Who knows, I may fall totally in love with my 400!

Kindest regards

David

Kindest regards

David

Kindest regards,

David

Hi David, depends if you want a single induction type conversion or multi point sequential single around £1100 multi around £2000 I have a brc plug & drive multi point on mine & so far so good ( your model will run fine on a single point if set up properly) I wont reccomend the installers who done mine as they have mixed reviews If you google lpg fourums you will find all the info you need I didn't untill after my car was in for conversion & wished I had. Lucky for me mine turned out fine as they were not busy at the time. If you plan on keeping the car for any length of time I would 100% recommend getting it converted, its also a lot kinder to the enviroment ( I took mine for its MOT yesteday & the emmisions are incredably low)also lpg is a waste product a byproduct of petrol production so if I didn't use it it would be burnt anyway.

ta Mark

Kindest regards

David

Kindest regards,

David

Hi David, depends if you want a single induction type conversion or multi point sequential single around £1100 multi around £2000 I have a brc plug & drive multi point on mine & so far so good ( your model will run fine on a single point if set up properly) I wont reccomend the installers who done mine as they have mixed reviews If you google lpg fourums you will find all the info you need I didn't untill after my car was in for conversion & wished I had. Lucky for me mine turned out fine as they were not busy at the time. If you plan on keeping the car for any length of time I would 100% recommend getting it converted, its also a lot kinder to the enviroment ( I took mine for its MOT yesteday & the emmisions are incredably low)also lpg is a waste product a byproduct of petrol production so if I didn't use it it would be burnt anyway.

ta Mark

Hi Mark

I am afraid that I am not as green as I should be by inclination, though I do my best with recycling etc. Buying an LS at 12 years old is much better than buying a brand new car - for the environment.

I drive a van (Renault Master box van) mostly for business use and live just 1 mile from work. Therefore my annual mileage is low, maybe 5,000 at most in my car (now LS). Yes I should cycle to work and my health would benefit too!

I trust that I will be poluting the environment much less that would a rep with about 100k miles per annum?

Once again thanks for the information and will bear this very much in mind.

Kindest regards

David