Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Painting Engine Covers.

I want to paint the various covers in the engine bay and was wondering what paint everyone who's done theirs, do you need a specific type for plastic or would Hammerite do, I know Hammerite's really for metal but i've got virtually a full tin left over from when I painted the calipers so if it'll do i'll use that.

Cheers.

I want to paint the various covers in the engine bay and was wondering what paint everyone who's done theirs, do you need a specific type for plastic or would Hammerite do, I know Hammerite's really for metal but i've got virtually a full tin left over from when I painted the calipers so if it'll do i'll use that.

Cheers.

Best to use paint for plastic mate, as some paints will melt the plastic covers :winky:

Going on that thread, and seeing as he used normal car body paint, I'd assume that as long as you use the right kind of plastic primer, the actual paint doesn't matter so much as long as it's heat resistant.

Andy just make sure you give them a very good clean to get rid of any grease/dirt before you paint them or they'll react and blister, Then use plastic primer and any colour spray paint of your choice :) Doesnt need to be heat resistant paint on the plastics as they dont get hot enough for it to melt the paint :D

Done mine a few times now and only ever used normal spray paint with plastic primer, look forward to seeing them when done mate :D

Andy.....This is from the same thread where I gave a run down of what I did.

Okay, removed from the car and the rubber/metal plugs removed from the holes where the bolts go through. Then scrubbed with washing up liquid and a scourer 3 times, then washed again using a nail brush and old toothbrush on the ackward areas. Once I was satisfied that there were no contaminants/oil/grease inside and out on the parts they were dried. Inside the main fuse box lid (not pictured) I pushed twisted rolled up newspaper into the groove that runs around the edge as this seemed to have a rubber gasket along it's length. I thought it might be a good idea as I didn't want to get paint or lacquer on it.

I rubbed each piece down with wet & dry paper to remove any rough areas or faults in the plastic, then wiped them with white spirit to remove any dust or small particles. When dry, I sprayed them with two coats of Halfords plastic Primer (Grey) 15 mins between coats, left to dry for 24 hours. I then examined them and used 1200 wet & dry to smooth the primer, white spirit again and dried. Two coats of Ford Azure blue metallic, 15 mins between coats, 24 hours to dry and then 1200 wet & dry again to take the shine off. At this point I hand painted the Red VVT-I with arcylic paint and added the "L" decals. Finally two good coats of Halfords Clear Lacquer and left for as long as possible to dry hard (I'll leave mine off to dry hard for probably 5 or 6 days).

Hope this helps you guys, if I can do it anyone can do it, just take your time and make sure the prep work is done thoroughly.........there are no 5 minute jobs as my old man used to say.

Keith

any paint will do !

use a plastic primer on plastic parts as this helps it stick

the covers dont get hot enough to affect the paint

in fact i painted the cam cover on the starlet with normal paint and its held up very well, and that does get quite hot !

Really like yours Chris, but i'm about as artistic as a hippo, was just thinking blue covers with things like VVTI in white and because I ain't got and induction kit I was going to do the silver lines down the airbox and L logo white aswell, might get some white caliper decals aswell for the plain covers.