Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What Not To Do With A Henry Vacuum Cleaner!

It isn't long since the 27th February 2009, but since my acquisition of a 'budget' '97 LS400 I have been hankering to give the old girl a good wash and vacuum. You don't really get to know a car until you have been lying prone inside it scrubbing away years of undisturbed grime.

Today was a welcome interlude from work and I washed and cleaned the car just to give an overall improvement, rather than enter a concourse event.

Washing the car I noticed a few more scuffs and a small bubble of rust on the NSF passenger door just underneath the window. Will have to watch out for that one.

Cleaning the inside I have been impressed with the quality of the finish and the depth of the carpets. There are some trim clips missing, but these can be sorted later. My interior is cream, the exterior being a sort of metallic gold - that I love. However the cream interior takes a lot of cleaning and this will have to be done with some kind of machine, I think to remove coke? stains, etc.

Next job was vacuuming. The carpets came up adequately and the mats were cleaned on the floor in the back of my van. Sadly I failed to engage brain when I decided to vacuum out the (full) ash-trays, without removing them first. The rear 2 ash-trays worked perfectly and I watched with amazement as the contents swirled around and then disappeared up the tube.

By this time my assistant was watching and I turned my attention to the front ash-tray. Once again I watched with pleasure as the rubbish swirled around and then to my horror, I saw the cigarette lighter disappear up the nozzel. Looking at the hole left behind made no difference and it dawned on me that I had now vanadlised my precious 'new' car.

My assistant just laughed.

Tentatively I tore into the vacuum bag and sifted through the dusty mass. I struggled through all this with a feeling of impending doom, until eureka, the cigarette lighter had rolled out to one side, quite unharmed - though very dirty. One look at my hands, face and clothes said it all and I was banished to the rest-room!

Tomorrow am having a tow-bar fitted, so let's hope I don't get involved!

Kindest regards to you all

David

may i also suggest you remove the front seats and clean underneath - my car was immaculate (it still is) inside when i bought it but when i removed the front seat to check why the heater wasnt working i found more than i was expecting - old invoices, sweet wrappers, coins and lots of small rubbish - definatley worth a look!

Try fully reclining front seats to reveal hidden treasure. Had to transport a load of coving and had to do this to front passenger seat. Found a rather nice pen and my long-lost tyre pressure gauge (I now have two). Driver's seat revealed a whole £1.22 in coins.

Anyone know how to take out the rear seat squab ?

may i also suggest you remove the front seats and clean underneath - my car was immaculate (it still is) inside when i bought it but when i removed the front seat to check why the heater wasnt working i found more than i was expecting - old invoices, sweet wrappers, coins and lots of small rubbish - definatley worth a look!

Excellent idea, thanks will do! Is it an easy job? Sounds dangerous for a man of my erm......mechanical ability!

I found some lovely lipstick under one of my seats. Shame it wasn't my colour. I had nothing to wear that went with frosted pink. :blink:

Try rubbing the exposed lipstick onto the tyre wall. I have found that it deadens a rather lurid colour. Top tip is to use the inside wall of the tyre for obvious asthetic reasons!

Try fully reclining front seats to reveal hidden treasure. Had to transport a load of coving and had to do this to front passenger seat. Found a rather nice pen and my long-lost tyre pressure gauge (I now have two). Driver's seat revealed a whole £1.22 in coins.

Let me know if you get an answer here as I too tried to remove it, albeit without any success

Depends which series you have, to remove the rear seat squab from a series 3, it is held in place by four metal tabs under the seat which are held by four plastic retainers, place your hands just under the front edge at one side and give a good pull up and when it comes up do the same along the front middle then the other end. I managed to get mine out quite easily and replacing is just the reversal, you just have to make sure you line up the metal tabs with the plastic retainers, easiest way is to line one up at a time before pushing firmly into place. Hope this helps. Kernewek

Found £3.27 under the rear seat squab. Not sure how much that is in Yen.

In my previous car, among the other rubbish I found a camera memory card. Curiosity got the better of me and I stuck it in the card reader of my PC and lets just say that being the gentleman that I am I deleted the images to preserve an unknown lady's honour. :blush:

Found £3.27 under the rear seat squab. Not sure how much that is in Yen.

In my previous car, among the other rubbish I found a camera memory card. Curiosity got the better of me and I stuck it in the card reader of my PC and lets just say that being the gentleman that I am I deleted the images to preserve an unknown lady's honour. :blush:

Hi

That did make me chuckle and shame you didn't add to utube or a more advanced section of Lexus members 'forum'! The only question to ask is whether there were any Lexus products depicted?

Kindest regards and with amusement

David

I found a selection of what appeared to be Japanese fast food receipts and a selection of Yen coins worth about 12p!!!

Hi Steve,

May I respectfully suggest that you retain your Yen in a safe place, as it may be worth a lot more than the £ in a few years time!

I did unfortunately invest them in stocks and shares, they are now worth 2p, my broker said it was a long term investment but could he have his commission straight away!

I found a selection of what appeared to be Japanese fast food receipts and a selection of Yen coins worth about 12p!!!

Hi Steve,

May I respectfully suggest that you retain your Yen in a safe place, as it may be worth a lot more than the £ in a few years time!

I did unfortunately invest them in stocks and shares, they are now worth 2p, my broker said it was a long term investment but could he have his commission straight away!

Hi Steve

That is most unfortunate as you say. On the positive side, 2p is quite a good return on stocks and shares currently. Will the broker accept commission based on the quality of his advice?

It could also be that a proportion of your 2p is all he is likely to get next year as his bonus?

Just a thought!

David

Hi Steve,

Hi Steve

That is most unfortunate as you say. On the positive side, 2p is quite a good return on stocks and shares currently. Will the broker accept commission based on the quality of his advice?

It could also be that a proportion of your 2p is all he is likely to get next year as his bonus?

Just a thought!

David

Hi David,

Yes it's looking that way but he has now suggested moving my investment into Numatic shares ( the company that produces the Henry vacuum cleaners ( now we're back on topic!)) They are apparently looking for "suckers" to invest! :whistling:

Hi Steve,

Hi Steve

Just a thought!

David

Hi David,

Yes it's looking that way but he has now suggested moving my investment into Numatic shares ( the company that produces the Henry vacuum cleaners ( now we're back on topic!)) They are apparently looking for "suckers" to invest! :whistling:

Hi Steve

Thanks for bringing us back to Henry. At my age it is normal for a certain amount of meandering of grey matter and am told that there is no cure!

Today I have been Henry-ing (not hoovering) out my Mum's '63 Rover 95 and to my horror found just a pair of nuts under the front seat. A stash of coins or a bundle of notes would have been preferable - however it did make me wonder if she has been 'wintering' these nuts and maybe I should check evidence of bushy tail!

Have I gone off topic again?!

David

• 1 month later...
Depends which series you have, to remove the rear seat squab from a series 3, it is held in place by four metal tabs under the seat which are held by four plastic retainers, place your hands just under the front edge at one side and give a good pull up and when it comes up do the same along the front middle then the other end. I managed to get mine out quite easily and replacing is just the reversal, you just have to make sure you line up the metal tabs with the plastic retainers, easiest way is to line one up at a time before pushing firmly into place. Hope this helps. Kernewek

Many thanks for this: I only found the time to do it this afternoon ! I did better than the front seats, with £1.41, some small plastic toys, more biscuit crumbs than in a McVitie factory (mostly Mini Cheddars - we like our children to eat healthily), and a strange round phial of something liquid in a little plastic container with a snap-off end.

It was quite a heave to get the front of the seats to pop out, although it would have been easier without a four-yr-old who kept trying to join me in the back, whilst asking "What are you doing?" several times over.

Many thanks for this: I only found the time to do it this afternoon ! I did better than the front seats, with £1.41, some small plastic toys, more biscuit crumbs than in a McVitie factory (mostly Mini Cheddars - we like our children to eat healthily), and a strange round phial of something liquid in a little plastic container with a snap-off end.

It was quite a heave to get the front of the seats to pop out, although it would have been easier without a four-yr-old who kept trying to join me in the back, whilst asking "What are you doing?" several times over.

Does the same four year old ask 'are we there yet?' and 'are we half-way yet?'. Mine are 9 and 11 and now ask me to drive the long way around - maybe as the LS has such an amazing CD system that they can listen to all their favourites over and over and over again! Am not sure which is the better scenario.................................with the LS of course!

Does the same four year old ask 'are we there yet?' and 'are we half-way yet?'. Mine are 9 and 11 and now ask me to drive the long way around - maybe as the LS has such an amazing CD system that they can listen to all their favourites over and over and over again! Am not sure which is the better scenario.................................with the LS of course!

Aforementioned 4-yr-old always asks for Baby Please Don't Go by Van Morrison - and I have to turn it up. Hopefully we can soon move on to something else as the repetition is wearing us (me & the CD) a bit thin.

Mine are 9 and 11 and now ask me to drive the long way around - maybe as the LS has such an amazing CD system that they can listen to all their favourites over and over and over again! Am not sure which is the better scenario.................................with the LS of course!

my little bundle of joy is 15.... and i found a solution to the CD problem ....... fitted LCD headrests, and a PS2. Havent had a word out of her since i fitted them :D

granted, we did forget she was in the back once.... and left her parked outside the flat for 3 days..... but hey, these things happen righ ;)

Mine are 9 and 11 and now ask me to drive the long way around - maybe as the LS has such an amazing CD system that they can listen to all their favourites over and over and over again! Am not sure which is the better scenario.................................with the LS of course!

my little bundle of joy is 15.... and i found a solution to the CD problem ....... fitted LCD headrests, and a PS2. Havent had a word out of her since i fitted them :D

granted, we did forget she was in the back once.... and left her parked outside the flat for 3 days..... but hey, these things happen righ ;)

Sorry I misread your quote as a bundle of 'joy' at 15! I am told that kids only get worse as they become teenagers and become bearable at some time in their 20's. Does anyone have any more accurate information on this concerning problem?

At this point I could throw in the concern that I have oft heard voiced that men never grow up and that their toys just get bigger. My toys have got smaller recently but maybe that is part of being 'middle-aged'! I am told there is a cure and may have read about something emailed to me regularly - but that doesn't explain having to sell my 1984 Dennis Fire Engine - resplendant with V8 diesel power @ 10.5 litres.

The reader may now understand why my partner has now holidayed without me for the past 3 1/2 weeks.....................