Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Car Insurance Booklet In Glovebox Good Idea?

japthree

If suppose the car gets broken into or stolen - having the booklet in the glove box (as the booklet states) with the policy number written in it- would it be useful for the thief?

Also carrying your driving license photocard in your wallet/purse is a good idea? Or safer at home? You have 7 days to show it to the police if they require you to? But you might get mugged or it gets misplaced...?

Pros and cons please?

I always carry my driving licence as ID on my person.

Regarding your insurance I leave mine at home.

Why would you need it in your car?

Out of the three most vunerable places it could go missing..yourself...your house your car The car is the most vunerable. It takes seconds to smash a window and empty your glove box. It happens on a weekly basis at a car park opposite where I work.(we have a secure parking area)

If you get stopped by the police then they already know if you/ the vehicle is insured MOTd and taxed so you do'nt need it. I do'nt leave anything in my car.

Go to ASKMID.COM and it will tell you if your car is on the National data base and insured.

Leaving documents with your name and address on them in your car gives way to ID theft so I personally would'nt do it. The insurance document would give them access to your name your address probably your date of birth and your car reg. number. If you just need the policy numer for some emergency then stick the number in your phone under "uncle Harold" or something

But it's up to you I can see the cons but no pros!!

Is there a reason to carry your logbook, licence, insurance, mot with you/in the car?

I mean all this now logged onto a database, so the BiB can check this instantly over the radio/online?

Or am I missing something?

Carrying all this with you is likely to lead to theft/fraud should you have your licence/insurance documents etc stolen/lost.

I carry my insuance contact number amd policy number with me in the car ( somewhere ) then if I have an accident and the car is underiveable I can sort it all out at the roadside. Also carry the RAC card which gives the same service.

I have the policy number in case of accident where it would be required to exchange insurance details. Also, when touring on the continent, all documents including V5 are required to be carried.

It pays to check on the askmid.com website to make sure your vehicle has been entered onto it by your insurers as that is where the police get their info as to whether you have insurance or not. Should the police say you are not insured, if you have your policy number, the police will phone your insurer to check and will then not impound your vehicle.

I don't carry anything that would identify me, there is no legal reason to and if you lost something with your details there is a good chance that fraudsters would misuse your details.

that why i dont carry mine