Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fitting These......................

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...T&viewitem=

Have been thinking about buying the above and fitting them as DRL's (daytime running lights). Please no comments about whether you feel these are good, bad or indifferent as I know everyone has their views about defacing the Lexus!!

Anyhow, I would like them to come on when I switch the ignition on and go off when I switch the ignition off, not a huge ask I think you would agree but let me tell you I am no expert so I am hoping some kind sole will take pity on me and give me some very clear (idiot proof, that's me!!!) instructions to follow.

Come on guys, it's red nose day tomorrow, I thought I would give you a laugh early!!

Any help though would be gratefully received. Thanks in advance

I've got something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/White-24cm-Strip-24-...%3A1|240%3A1318

Across the top of my headlights mate and i love them.

To work as DRL's its pretty simple, you can just use the switched live from the stereo.

Do make sure you use a small inline fuse with them though,

Stav

To work as DRL's its pretty simple, you can just use the switched live from the stereo.

Stav

Thanks for that, as I said though Mr. Idiot here, so how do I identify that switched live wire, is it colour coded and is this colour shared throught the loom, in other words can I pick this up under the bonnet rather than pulling the sat nav unit out (in my case).

The simpler the instructions the better for me, I am by no means a mechanic!!

Thanks.

Stav

Thanks for that, as I said though Mr. Idiot here, so how do I identify that switched live wire, is it colour coded and is this colour shared throught the loom, in other words can I pick this up under the bonnet rather than pulling the sat nav unit out (in my case).

Thanks.

Can anyone else help me, alternatively if I took it to a mechanc what would he charge me to connect them up to a switched live?

Stav

Thanks.

Can anyone else help me, alternatively if I took it to a mechanic what would he charge me to connect them up to a switched live?

Could I wire them into the wires that feed the cigarette lighter, they go off when the ignition is switched off?

Come on, someone must be able to help me? What do you have to do to get some help on here?

I'm sure someone will know and be along to help.

I'm looking at fitting some DRL's soon ready for when it comes in for all new cars. Seen the Audi's, BM's and now the Insignia, Renault and VW have them on their latest cars.

I'm sure someone will know and be along to help.

I'm looking at fitting some DRL's soon ready for when it comes in for all new cars. Seen the Audi's, BM's and now the Insignia, Renault and VW have them on their latest cars.

Thanks, have got them working via the socket in the arm rest, just need to find a hole that is accessable to push the cable through from the cabin to the engine bay, currently have the cable coming up the passenger side and externally between the door and the a-pillar, then into the enigine bay, you can only see it when the passenger door is open but it is not the finished result yet, just need to find where to push the cable through.

Anyone got any idea and maybe somewhere were I do not have to take the car to pieces.

Thanks.

ask lexus dealer for Mars modul, it will start your normal lights about 5sec after the start. I am using it for 2,5 years and no problem so far.

It costs about 200€ incl. fitting and you do not need to any wiring etc (what may cause problems, as the car uses can-bus)

ask lexus dealer for Mars modul, it will start your normal lights about 5sec after the start. I am using it for 2,5 years and no problem so far.

It costs about 200€ incl. fitting and you do not need to any wiring etc (what may cause problems, as the car uses can-bus)

Thanks for your reply. The Mars Module, does this give you DRL's then or does it switch all of the lights on, eg dash lights and rear lights?

I have wired these to a socket that plugs into the 12v socket in the armrest, the socket has resistors fitted and I have an in line breaker fuse so if there are any problems any of this should blow before enything else. I was not too happy about hard wiring them in as my car is still under warranty.

Tell me more about this module, do you have a website I could take a look at for it.

Thanks.

Thanks for your reply. The Mars Module, does this give you DRL's then or does it switch all of the lights on, eg dash lights and rear lights?

yes, it switch all standard lights on (no DRL).

I don't know any website, I just know that this is original lexus/toyota part.

Lexus will start fitting DRL's to their new and facelift cars soon anyway as it will be compulsary from 2011.

Sorry this doesn't help you with your problem now though!

Lexus will start fitting DRL's to their new and facelift cars soon anyway as it will be compulsary from 2011.

Sorry this doesn't help you with your problem now though!

Came across the DRL module that Lexus fit in the USA, have asked my local dealer to see if he can source it and fit it lets wait and see.

As for my current question, anyone know how to get through to the engine bay from the cabin without pullling the car to bits? Have had a fumble around but can't seem to see or find any simple routes.

Let me know if you can help?

Thanks.

You need a wire coat hanger, straighten it out.

Have a look near the Battery, theres normally a gromit there on most cars.

Stick the coat hanger through it and try and find it on the other side, then tape the wire to it and pull through,.

What exactly is the point of DRLs? I've never personally found them to do anything useful. Actually find it annoying on cars with orange ones, as at first glance it looks as though the indicator is on.........I have no idea why that isn't illegal........

What exactly is the point of DRLs? I've never personally found them to do anything useful. Actually find it annoying on cars with orange ones, as at first glance it looks as though the indicator is on.........I have no idea why that isn't illegal........

I think it is the eco-terrorist work.

to have normal lights on means front, back and all interior lights on, which rises the consumption by 0,00000005%, so it makes more CO2 in the air...

I do not see the point to have lights on during the day, but in Slovakia it is compulsory too.

According to available research, Daytime Running Light (DRL) is important for road safety. All road users, including pedestrians, cyclists and motorcyclists, can detect, recognize and identify vehicles equipped with DRL, better and earlier. The mandatory introduction of dedicated DRL was discussed in the Commission's High Level Group CARS 21 (“Competitive Automotive Regulatory System for the 21st Century”) with high level executives from Member States, industry and non-governmental organisations (NGOs) and got unanimous approval. The Directive, which has been adopted today, foresees that from 7 February 2011 onwards all new types of passenger cars and small delivery vans will have to be equipped with DRL. Trucks and buses will follow 18 months later, i.e. August 2012.

On vehicles equipped with Daytime Running Light, this light is automatically switched on when the engine is started. When it is dark the driver has to switch on the driving lights manually. In this case the DRL goes off automatically.

This is just a paste from a website but next time you're out driving in daylight just notice how much sooner you will see a car with its lights on, especially the new Audi DRL's or BMW and new Golf!

According to available research, Daytime Running Light (DRL) is important for road safety. All road users, including pedestrians, cyclists and motorcyclists, can detect, recognize and identify vehicles equipped with DRL, better and earlier.

yes, that is all true, but...

At the moment people tend to look for moving objects - this is applicable for all users of public roads and pathways (drivers, motorcyclists, pedestrians...) - and exceptions do not make a problem - e.g. motorcyclist with their lights on.

But what will happen, if all cars and trucks will have their lights on? First, there will be no advantage for motorcyclists. Second, people will get used to it and won't anymore look for moving objects, but they will look for moving lights.

Pedestrians and cyclists riding on public roads will be in higher danger. There are countries in europe which have compulsory lightning all the time and the statistics say that the number of pedestrians and cyclists accindents has risen. In other words, every object without lights will be in higher danger.

Instead of teching people drive carefully, politicians make out of people the flocks...

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Yeh I want to somehow activate the existing hardware - and then possibly change the high beam bulb later down the line (but at the moment I like the normal yellowish bulb, like this http://www.clublexus.com/forums/attachment...ad-is250_sd.jpg ).

I want to use the DRL system exactly how it already operates in countries such as US/Canada,etc.

Now is there absolutely no DRL module fitted in non-drl cars??

Where will I be able to get this module from??

Thanks,

Sunny

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links