Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I have a IS250SE this is my second and I have been very happy with Lexus, spoke to my local dealer yesterday and they are doing some very good deals on the RX400. Just would be grateful for any feedback good or bad on the RX400. Also would be interested to know how the car is on Ice/Snow (as the IS I cannot even get out of my drive with a small amount of snow on the ground).

Have to agree there are some great deals on the RX400h at the mo, my dealer offered it on 2.9%APR as well!

Don't know too much about the RX400h, but with regards to the IS on snow, it's not that it's bad, the high performance summer tyres just don't work in those conditions. I'd imagine the RX should be a bit better though anyway, but bear in mind that the RX400h is not permanent 4WD, it's front wheel drive most of the time and the electric motors kick in on the rear wheels whenever it's needed.

Have to agree there are some great deals on the RX400h at the mo, my dealer offered it on 2.9%APR as well!

Don't know too much about the RX400h, but with regards to the IS on snow, it's not that it's bad, the high performance summer tyres just don't work in those conditions. I'd imagine the RX should be a bit better though anyway, but bear in mind that the RX400h is not permanent 4WD, it's front wheel drive most of the time and the electric motors kick in on the rear wheels whenever it's needed.

2.9%APR!!!! Really? Is that through Lexus Financial Services. I need to know ASAP as I seriously considering a change, but the best flate rate (not even APR!) has been 4.15% through LFS. 2.9% APR would be just incredible!

It seems to me though that you have to negotiate as hard on the finance as on the cost to change with dealerships. If it really is 2.9% APR - PLEASE PM mke the dealer's name!!

Yep it wasn't a detailed email or anything, just the usual circular to get you interested but the email they sent said this:

"New RX400h with 2.9% apr finance"

I didn't actually ask them about it, but I'm guessing it must be for cars that are already in stock - coupled with the email I got before it for a new RX400h for £29,995, that is a cracking deal!

PM sent with dealer name :)

The RX400h is a great car.Really practical,easy to drive,comfortable.It provides a great blend of refinement,performance(with instant torque available from the electric motors) and reasonable economy.

I have had it for nearly 4 years and have enjoyed owning it tremendously.I,however,will wait to replace it with the RX450h as my lease runs out at the end of the year ,but you should get a bargain RX400h now,so it may make the proposition attractive.

I used the RX a lot in the snow recently and it was great,no problems whatsoever.If you search you'll see others already commenting on it.An my car has standard OEM Bridgestones on it so these are summer tyres.Obviously you have to drive carefully in the snow,but I had no problems in snow and ice.In these conditions tyre type and driver care/skill are the most important factors-some people have winter tyres on which help.

In summary,the RX400h is a clever car,you have to learn how to drive it economically,but I get 30 mpg in mixed driving without trying too hard.On a run I get 34-35mpg if careful,26-28mpg if hooning it.Good economy,0-60 in just over 7 secs,instant torque-brilliant!

The RX400h is a great car.Really practical,easy to drive,comfortable.It provides a great blend of refinement,performance(with instant torque available from the electric motors) and reasonable economy.

I have had it for nearly 4 years and have enjoyed owning it tremendously.I,however,will wait to replace it with the RX450h as my lease runs out at the end of the year ,but you should get a bargain RX400h now,so it may make the proposition attractive.

I used the RX a lot in the snow recently and it was great,no problems whatsoever.If you search you'll see others already commenting on it.An my car has standard OEM Bridgestones on it so these are summer tyres.Obviously you have to drive carefully in the snow,but I had no problems in snow and ice.In these conditions tyre type and driver care/skill are the most important factors-some people have winter tyres on which help.

In summary,the RX400h is a clever car,you have to learn how to drive it economically,but I get 30 mpg in mixed driving without trying too hard.On a run I get 34-35mpg if careful,26-28mpg if hooning it.Good economy,0-60 in just over 7 secs,instant torque-brilliant!

Many thanks for your reply - Test drove one yesterday and now very tempted..

I'gve got one on loan now to try out. First impressions compared to my RX350:

-ves

1. Steering is noticably heavier than RX350

2. Car feels heavier and slower on the motorway sliproad - I think more due to the CVT tranmission

3. Car also feels noiser and less refined than RX350 - transmission again

4. Not sure about the interior - I'm not an old guy by any means, but I like a bit of wood in the cabin, it adds a bit of warmth to the styling and breaks up the blandness of all the aluminium

+ves

1. I like running around in stealth mode and creeping up on people when on completely electric drive. Met some friends in the RX400h who were out walking yesterday - and they had amazed looks on their faces as the car climbed up the hill next to them, silently

2. Improved economy, obviously. Not quite as good as I had expected on the motorway, but better than the RX350 around town.

So - I really don't know what to do. With the offers made to me, it is only £3K more to get a new 400h over a 350, but I still really like the 350 - but I know the depreciation will be more on the 350 and the economy not as good - but I like the interior more than the 400h, and I' m a petrol head. Really don't know what to do now!!! I guess it comes down to £££ and value for money. But I don't have the answer yet and its killing me.

I'gve got one on loan now to try out. First impressions compared to my RX350:

-ves

1. Steering is noticably heavier than RX350

2. Car feels heavier and slower on the motorway sliproad - I think more due to the CVT tranmission

3. Car also feels noiser and less refined than RX350 - transmission again

4. Not sure about the interior - I'm not an old guy by any means, but I like a bit of wood in the cabin, it adds a bit of warmth to the styling and breaks up the blandness of all the aluminium

+ves

1. I like running around in stealth mode and creeping up on people when on completely electric drive. Met some friends in the RX400h who were out walking yesterday - and they had amazed looks on their faces as the car climbed up the hill next to them, silently

2. Improved economy, obviously. Not quite as good as I had expected on the motorway, but better than the RX350 around town.

So - I really don't know what to do. With the offers made to me, it is only £3K more to get a new 400h over a 350, but I still really like the 350 - but I know the depreciation will be more on the 350 and the economy not as good - but I like the interior more than the 400h, and I' m a petrol head. Really don't know what to do now!!! I guess it comes down to £££ and value for money. But I don't have the answer yet and its killing me.

If you do not intend to keep the car for many years and depreciation is a concern, your only choice is a 400h, especially now that the 450h is about to to arrive. RX350 values will plummet as the supplies of 400h vehicles that will be traded for the 450h in rises. I thought you could now get the wood pack in the 400h, is that not the case?

Alternatively, keep your current RX350 for another year and then move directly into a 450h.

Comes down to a head or heart decision I suppose. Our lifestyle may also change meaning more motorway miles in Europe in the future. On that footing, I doubt the 400h has an advantage over the 350. I know what you mean about the residuals though and that is a point to consider.

The offer I have been made for a 400h depends upon the stock the dealer holds. They are all new and unregistered, but its take it or leave it. They are Exec Ltd Editions so they all have the aluminium trim - no wood pack - unless that can be done retrospectively?

I've driven my rx400h around in the snow this winter without problems so I don't think you need worry on that score.

I think the CVT transmission os one of the car's best features providing smooth and completely seamless gearing. One comment that RX300 drivers often make when getting into the hybrid is the noise of the electric motors - you soon get used to this.

By the way, if you think the RX400h lacks refinement compared to a RX300 take a diesel RangeRover Sport for a spin.....!

I've driven my rx400h around in the snow this winter without problems so I don't think you need worry on that score.

I think the CVT transmission os one of the car's best features providing smooth and completely seamless gearing. One comment that RX300 drivers often make when getting into the hybrid is the noise of the electric motors - you soon get used to this.

By the way, if you think the RX400h lacks refinement compared to a RX300 take a diesel RangeRover Sport for a spin.....!

I have the 350 at the moment, but a 300 before that. The 350 is more refined than the 300. The engine is smoother, gear changes are VERY smooth, steering is better weighted - and all these three things go together and work really seamlessly. The 400h is a different beast entirely and just not feel as 'together' as the 350. Hard to explain why exactly, even though it has the CVT transmission so you don't feel gear changes in the same way. However, its not fair to compare thr 400h and 350 as they are not like for like, and the hybrid system is still in its relative infancy compared to 100+ years for the combustion engine.

I like the RR Sport from afar, but I'm sorry to say that I hate the interior on them. I have therefore never even soiled my shoes by getting in one. Especially as someone I know who has a Discovery 3 does not rate the build quality on that at all. In fact, alot of cars look nice until you get in them, seem them up close and touch the controls. I know the current RX is old now and due to be replaced, but it is well put together compared to 95%+ of all cars out there.

Any large engined petrol car, especially an SUV, will depreciate. And come year 3, it may well be worth squat. The issue to bear in mind is that the petrol RX is a proven design and mechanicals - the combustion engine has been around for a century now and is a proven, reliable and well engineered technology.

What I'm trying to say is that day in and day out, without a thought, the petrol RX will keep going (and going). The Hybrid system, unless you REALLY need/want/require it, is more of a gimmick than useful...and I hate to say it, not as proven as the combustion engine.

I know I'm going to get flamed for my anti-400H stance, but you really should drive one first. For example, did you know that a 400h will only run on Battery power alone for about 5 - 10 MINUTES? That if you are crawling along silently in a Supermarket car park, the moment you hit an incline, even a softest of inclines, the batteries do not have enough power to drive the car up the said incline and it will revert to petrol engine running? These are the things 'they' wont tell you. The batteries spend more time charging than powering the car - and at the end of the day you have a 3.3L V6 petrol engine lugging around all that extra weight of the Hybrid drive train.

If you have the money, buy a petrol RX, it will be far more sure footed and precise gripping than a FWD only 400h.

Any large engined petrol car, especially an SUV, will depreciate. And come year 3, it may well be worth squat. The issue to bear in mind is that the petrol RX is a proven design and mechanicals - the combustion engine has been around for a century now and is a proven, reliable and well engineered technology.

What I'm trying to say is that day in and day out, without a thought, the petrol RX will keep going (and going). The Hybrid system, unless you REALLY need/want/require it, is more of a gimmick than useful...and I hate to say it, not as proven as the combustion engine.

I know I'm going to get flamed for my anti-400H stance, but you really should drive one first. For example, did you know that a 400h will only run on battery power alone for about 5 - 10 MINUTES? That if you are crawling along silently in a Supermarket car park, the moment you hit an incline, even a softest of inclines, the batteries do not have enough power to drive the car up the said incline and it will revert to petrol engine running? These are the things 'they' wont tell you. The batteries spend more time charging than powering the car - and at the end of the day you have a 3.3L V6 petrol engine lugging around all that extra weight of the Hybrid drive train.

If you have the money, buy a petrol RX, it will be far more sure footed and precise gripping than a FWD only 400h.

I have to agree with what you say. On balance, I prefer the RX350 over the RX400h for all the reasons you say. The problem is - the majority of people are now sold more on the hybrid variety, making them more desirable so they keep their value better. That means losing a lot of money on something that I really like 350) OR - losing less money on something I don't like as much (the 400).

What I can say is, whatever the RX - they are still much nicer that other makes of SUV and the quality is noticeably superior!

I know I'm going to get flamed for my anti-400H stance, but you really should drive one first. For example, did you know that a 400h will only run on battery power alone for about 5 - 10 MINUTES? That if you are crawling along silently in a Supermarket car park, the moment you hit an incline, even a softest of inclines, the batteries do not have enough power to drive the car up the said incline and it will revert to petrol engine running? These are the things 'they' wont tell you. The batteries spend more time charging than powering the car - and at the end of the day you have a 3.3L V6 petrol engine lugging around all that extra weight of the Hybrid drive train.

Oh,yes,here we go again.

Sorry,but I disagree on your perceptions of the hybrid RX.You just don't seem to understand the overall concept of the hybrid.

Oh well.

Oh,yes,here we go again.

Sorry,but I disagree on your perceptions of the hybrid RX.You just don't seem to understand the overall concept of the hybrid.

Oh well.

Well I did bite my tongue as I watched the ebb and flow of this thread ;)

Well, I've gone and done it.

Got a good deal p/ex my 2 yr old RX350 for a new RX400h. I loved the 350 and will really miss it. I would say it has been the best all round car I have had so far. The 400h deals at the moment made it hard to justify another 350 though - the difference in cost to change was just an extra £2,500 for the hybrid, so I am hoping that the depreciation and running costs will make it worth while. I know it is a different experience, but I suppose the time has come to embrace the 'new' technology.

The prices for the RX450h have been announced to dealers and go from £42-55K. That's £42K for the 'poverty spec'! I think that is good news for all RX drivers, as prices for used models may harden and even go up from where they are right now.

I will post up a report of my experiences of living with the 400h a short time after I get it. I have had the RX300 too before the 350, so I am a bit of a convert!