Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

hi guys, Ive just fitted one side of my '91 LS400 with a HID light

After working out how to remove the headlamp, everything seemed to go ok. I tested the new bulb before refitting the head lamp, and everything seemed ok.... lovely bluey white light.

After refitting the light, it still worked great..... UNTILL i switch to full beam..... the HID light immediatly goes out (until the main beam is switched off( *sigh*

Im assuming ive wired something up wrong..... and will be taking the light out again tomorrow.... just wondered if anybody had any idea what i had done wrong

the only thing i can thing of is where i plugged the HID wires into the original light connector.... there are 3 conectors on the original light socket plug, but only 2 wires on the HID lead that goes to the balastrade. I used my multimeter to test the terminals on the connector, and found what i thought were the +12V and ground, and connected accordingly.... but i never tested the 3rd termional, and didnt have the main beam light connected when i tested.... so never tried it with main beam on

only other thing i can think of is I only have one HID connected, is it worth connecting the other side up first?

FWIW.... its a single beam HID kit.

any help/ suggestions would be very much appreciated

Hi,

You have answered your own question " it is a single beam HID kit"

Mine have HID for dipped beam and inside the same envelope a standard halagon bulb for main beam both hi and low beam work.

If you only have single HID's they will only do dipped beam.

This might be a stupid question, but I'm guessing that it doesn't do this when normal halogen bulbs are in there?

Is it not just the sort of kit where you unplug the big plug from the headlight, and plug it into the new ballast?

This might be a stupid question, but I'm guessing that it doesn't do this when normal halogen bulbs are in there?

the lightts on the other side (which i havent upgraded yet) still work normally.... i.e. when i swith on full beam, the normal headlight stays on, and before i did the upgrade the other side worked fine too

Is it not just the sort of kit where you unplug the big plug from the headlight, and plug it into the new ballast?

yep thats exactly the sort of kit it is.... im suprised im having problems to be honest

That is bizarre, I know on the IS200 that the system is wired up so that when the lights are off, if you flash your lights both the high beams and dipped beams come on. I'm not sure if it's relevant but that could explain the extra wiring?

That is bizarre, I know on the IS200 that the system is wired up so that when the lights are off, if you flash your lights both the high beams and dipped beams come on. I'm not sure if it's relevant but that could explain the extra wiring?

its certainly bizar....

i think i will remove the HID in the morning, and start from scratch..... literally plug the old halogen bulb back in, check everything is ok.... then remove the bulb, check the light connector terminals with my multi meter again (with full beam on and off) see if i can work out what is happening

i will post any findings

ok things are a bit clearer and way weirder

as i said there are 3 terminals. lets call them 1 (top conector),2 (lower left on connector) and 3 (lower right on connector)

if i connect the black wire to 1, and the red wire to 2 i get.......

on normal beam +12V

on full beam -12V

if i connect the black wire to 1 and the red wire to 3 i get....

on normal beem +12V

on full beam +0.5V

A "single beam" HID kit does not contain a high-beam HID filament... you'd need to retain your old high-beam bulbs. Obviously, you can't do this because you've only got one fitting per side...

You'll need to get a dual-beam kit to have high-beam & dip in the same fitting.

See this link: http://www.ecplaza.net/tradeleads/seller/5...am_hid_kit.html

Quote: "Single Beam HID Kit : Designed for cars that have separate bulbs for HIGH and LOW beams. Can be used in single bulb applications/housings but HIGH beams will not function."

HTH!

Ahh does the LS400 have a single bulb for both? From your earlier description I thought you meant the HID bulb was switching off but the main beam bulb was still coming on - not that there was no light at all on one side.

Yep if that's the case, the dual beam kit should solve the problem.

Hi,

You have answered your own question " it is a single beam HID kit"

Mine have HID for dipped beam and inside the same envelope a standard halagon bulb for main beam both hi and low beam work.

If you only have single HID's they will only do dipped beam.

That's what I was trying to say

Ahh does the LS400 have a single bulb for both? From your earlier description I thought you meant the HID bulb was switching off but the main beam bulb was still coming on - not that there was no light at all on one side.

Yep if that's the case, the dual beam kit should solve the problem.

yep thats what i ment....

normally (i.e. with halogen bulbs)....... when you are on standard beam, the middle light is on, the one nearest the grill is off (lets forget the sidelights). When you switch on main beam, the light near the grill also comes on (and the middle light stays on).... so i assumed (wrongly)the main beam was just the light nearest the grill. However, it actually appears when you switch to main beam, the first filament (in the middle light) goes off (this is the one i was powering my HID from), the second filament in the midle light comes on, AND the light nearest the grill also comes on

so yes i need the double beam HID lol.... or need to do some fancy rewiring

Oh, so the LS400 actually has two bulbs for it's high beam on each side?

thats the way it looks yes

has a high beam filament in the middle light (along with the standard beam filament in the same bulb) and a seperate light (next to the grill) that also comes on when you select full beam

reading up on the web is confusing, as the US 1991 ls400 uses the third light (the one next to the grill) as a fog light.... here in the UK we have a seperate lower down fog light)

ive been doing some research (greanted, not on lexus cars).... i seem to have several options

1) i can jump the high/ low beam relay.... no idea how to do this on my ls400, or if its a good idea...so im not doing it

2) swap the single beam HID for a dual beam kit (just hassel)

3) keep the single beam (for the lights near the grill or the fog lights) and buy a dual beam for the main lights

im probably going to do 3)

ive been doing some research (greanted, not on lexus cars).... i seem to have several options

1) i can jump the high/ low beam relay.... no idea how to do this on my ls400, or if its a good idea...so im not doing it

2) swap the single beam HID for a dual beam kit (just hassel)

3) keep the single beam (for the lights near the grill or the fog lights) and buy a dual beam for the main lights

im probably going to do 3)

quick update.... i got the dual beams today..... fitted them and they work great (on normal and full beam)..... just need it to get dark enough to go light up a few roads now lol

thanks for everybodies help and suggestions