Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hid Headlights Fitter Needed

ripper62

hi all,

i want to have hid headlights put on my is200,

but i need someone that knows how to fit them,

i live in scunthorpe,

so is there anyone out there that knows how to install them and would do mine for me i would pay up too £100 pounds for a perfect job done :)

and would they know where i could get the light kit from and would i need anything else as i was told i i would probably need a another electical adapter or something like that ?

please help as my lights are crap :(

It's really, really easy to install HIDs. I did it myself and I'm not exactly the best at doing this sort of thing (understatement). It's a plug-and-play job, you pull out the existing bulb and bulb holder, connect the wire that used to go to the bulb into the HID connector, then insert the HID "bulb" into the headlamp. That's about it ! You just need to somehow secure the HID ballasts (the small boxes of electronics for each side) to somewhere nearby, sticky pads are good for this sort of thing.

If you find the HID doesn't work, then you just need to pull out the electrical connector and insert it the other way round, that's a common issue on the IS200.

You can get decent kits off eBay for less than £50 now.

Shame your not closer matey, i'd of done them for you and not charged to do it, there really easy to fit and most come with the instructions on how to do it!

I brought my sets from eBay for not a lot of money and they work very well, this is the kit i brought which were made by Phillips, CLICK ME! Think the hardest part to them is, deciding where to stick the ballasts :)

Something like this would do the job fine for you (but there are loads of others on eBay). I would recommend that you pick 6000K colour temperature, as a good balance between brightness and "looking cool", and not causing a problem with the police (if you get something like 10000K then it will be very blue and may result in the police pulling you over).

Aztec beat me to an eBay link. Agree that probably the hardest bit is deciding where to stick the ballasts. There is loads of room on the driver's side, but the passenger's side can be slightly fiddly because there's less room. Depending on how big your hands are it can be fiddly trying to get the passenger side bulb replaced by the HID one.

As others have said they're so easy to fit, no more than 15mins, even I did it! Once you find out how easy, you'll wonder why you ever considered paying £100 to do it!

Just get a kit off eBay as they've said and it's all plug and play :)

jus a quick question abt hid....with the is300 they came standard with hids' from factory, but the hid bulbs are they early gen versions - ONLY AROUND 400K...IS there any way off "upgrading" a hid bulb to a higher spec one?

-also if yes what type do i get i.e fitment hb4 h7ect...

Thanks!

I don't think it's anything to do with early spec or later versions, OEM stuff is usually around the 4300K mark as that provides the best light output.

I believe the bulb fitment is D2R but replacements could be pricey.

oh right cheers!....another thing is that with newer' cars the hid light seems to be focused/enclosed(Like when the light comes out of a projector) - like in the pics on HERE where as on the IS theres no enclosure for the bulbs and it looks like the light is scatered within the headlight housing..like THIS and THIS ... so my question is, is there any way off makin the hid light on the IS more concentrated/ like a projector?....hope this makes sense

Yes, as you say the OEM HIDs on the IS200/300 use a conventional lens and not a projector fitting. I have no idea whether there's any possibility to convert them. I'm guessing there probably wouldn't be a big demand for it though.

As Parthiban says, I imagine replacement OEM HID bulbs (or different ones with a "higher" colour temperature) will be pretty expensive. Your OEM HIDS will be about the brightest you can get though, 6000K, 8000K etc are less bright than 4000K.

I understand what you mean mate, and yes it is possible to add a projector into the housing - these guys do it but they're not cheap and you have to send your lights to the US..........AAC Style

Or you could have a go yourself.........

jus a quick question abt hid....with the is300 they came standard with hids' from factory, but the hid bulbs are they early gen versions - ONLY AROUND 400K...IS there any way off "upgrading" a hid bulb to a higher spec one?

-also if yes what type do i get i.e fitment hb4 h7ect...

Thanks!

You can get the D2s or D2r hid bulbs on eBay for around £30 a set and in most colour temps :)

You can get the D2s or D2r hid bulbs on ebay for around £30 a set and in most colour temps :)

Have they dropped in price now? What's the fitment for the aftermarket HIDs on the IS200? Is it 9006? I wanted to get a set of 4300K bulbs to swap the 8300K ones I've got at the mo but when I looked a while back they were around £40 which was a bit too much seeing as I already had a set of perfectly working bulbs :P

You can get the D2s or D2r hid bulbs on ebay for around £30 a set and in most colour temps :)

Have they dropped in price now? What's the fitment for the aftermarket HIDs on the IS200? Is it 9006? I wanted to get a set of 4300K bulbs to swap the 8300K ones I've got at the mo but when I looked a while back they were around £40 which was a bit too much seeing as I already had a set of perfectly working bulbs :P

There's a set of the 4300k 9006 hid replacement bulbs HERE Matey :)

There's a set of the 4300k 9006 hid replacement bulbs HERE Matey :)

Cheers, they have dropped in price, these ones are even cheaper :)

I personally wouldnt order just a set from hong kong/ japan due to them being just bulbs, as they have a tendancy of arriving broken, so might save some hassle buying from the UK to give you a bit of cover and make them easier to replace, if they do arrive broken saving time and money in the long run? Plus a lot of the bulbs have a 12month warrrenty, so if you buy them in the uk it makes them easier to send back for a replacement if needed :D

I personally wouldnt order just a set from hong kong/ japan due to them being just bulbs, as they have a tendancy of arriving broken, so might save some hassle buying from the UK to give you a bit of cover and make them easier to replace, if they do arrive broken saving time and money in the long run? Plus a lot of the bulbs have a 12month warrrenty, so if you buy them in the uk it makes them easier to send back for a replacement if needed :D

Good point, after posting that I was actually thinking to myself about that, and also whether the quality of the bulbs would be decent..........it's only a case of a few pounds so may as well get them in the UK.

One other thing, are the new 50W kits considerably brighter than the 35W kits?

whats the difference between D2s or D2r

D2R has a cut-off built into the bulb, some form of strip or something that stops light spreading upwards. D2S doesn't have this so there will be loads of light scatter in normal use, it's for projector lights as the projector focuses the beam.