Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tyre Wear

reddevil

ok, so i have ANOTHER problem with my IS. all of my tyres are worn on the inside but hardly any wear on the outer edge. i don't THINK the car has been lowered but there were after market 17s on it when i bought it so maybe it has been. could this be the source of the problem?

This is a very very common problem on the IS200, and is caused by the manufacturer's OEM geometry settings, which are, let's say, less-than-optimal.

You need to get your car setup with the WIM (Wheels in Motion) geometry settings, either by a visit there (quite a trek from you to Chesham, in Bucks, but it'll be a great journey back !) or by finding someone else who can do it to WIM's settings.

See WIM's website here on this.

thanks for that, im setting the wheels in motion on the moddifying front with new wheels this month and coilovers and new discs, pads and braided hoses next month so think i may have a trip down there to get geo done month after. thats the plan anyway!

A geo setup from WIM should sort out any issues with uneven tyre wear. When they put your car on the machine it will also show them if anything has got somehow damaged with your suspension, e.g. it having been damaged from a knock on the kerb etc. You'll probably be amazed by how different the car feels with the new settings ! :D

A geo setup from WIM should sort out any issues with uneven tyre wear. When they put your car on the machine it will also show them if anything has got somehow damaged with your suspension, e.g. it having been damaged from a knock on the kerb etc. You'll probably be amazed by how different the car feels with the new settings ! :D

Their machine picked up my wife's Boxter NSF shock absorber was out of alignment that was throwing the geo out of the rest of the car, which resulted in the reay tyres being eaten and at £250 each it isn't funny......... very impressive to see the machine in operation.

There were a few MX5's being fitted with coilovers when I was there, they were using pre-stressed ones so they could lower the cars and do the geo all in one visit, one couple travelled from Liverpool so WIM could do the work. Speaks for itself really.

Their machine picked up my wife's Boxter NSF shock absorber was out of alignment that was throwing the geo out of the rest of the car, which resulted in the reay tyres being eaten and at £250 each it isn't funny......... very impressive to see the machine in operation.

There were a few MX5's being fitted with coilovers when I was there, they were using pre-stressed ones so they could lower the cars and do the geo all in one visit, one couple travelled from Liverpool so WIM could do the work. Speaks for itself really.

how do they pre stress them? i was forever adjusting the coilovers for the first few weeks on my mini! right pain in the arse!

how do they pre stress them? i was forever adjusting the coilovers for the first few weeks on my mini! right pain in the arse!

No idea, but it is an edge they have over everybody else.

Must have been you I saw with the Boxter in the geometry bay on Tuesday around lunchtime then :) . My 250 was in the other bay having new rear boots fitted.

Must have been you I saw with the Boxter in the geometry bay on Tuesday around lunchtime then :) . My 250 was in the other bay having new rear boots fitted.

Yeah it was...... blimey it's a small world isn't it :) ...... In answer to the suspension question "pre-stressed" coils don't sag after the initial fitment.

Yeah it was...... blimey it's a small world isn't it :) ...... In answer to the suspension question "pre-stressed" coils don't sag after the initial fitment.

i assumed that, that is what it means. i was wondering how they pre- stress them?