Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Intermittant Missfire

ghOst.Luke

You need to get the OBDII code read, by a garage, or one of the reader on ebay.

But it may be a coil pack on its way out.

Have you changed the plugs lately?

No mate havent changed the plugs but was going to try that first i have been reading about the coil packs and i am thinking that might be the problem but thought it best to get the codes read first how much should i expect to pay to have the codes read at a garage? Have you any ideal the actual codes that relate to the coil packs or how i can find out what any codes given mean or should the garage be asble to tell me

Might be cheaper to get your own code reader off eBay rather than pay someone to read the codes for you, like this one.

Thanks for the responce ive bought a diagnosit code reader, a set of plugs and new air filter as they look like they could do with replaceing. Ill let you know how i get on

Thanks for the responce ive bought a diagnosit code reader, a set of plugs and new air filter as they look like they could do with replaceing. Ill let you know how i get on

Cool. If you can get the codes and post them up here, then some of the members here will be able to help you work out what the problem is, what parts might be worth replacing, and perhaps where to get those parts from at a good price.

hi all just to update OBD tool arived today so check car the codes given were PO302 and PO302 P according to the manual that came with the tool cylinder 2 has a misfire but un sure what the 'P' stands for on thesecond code i'm guessing it means plug or pending any ideals. Will fit new set of plugs and air filter when they arrive. I've also ordered 2 coils as this seems the most common fault ill replace the coil on cylinder 2 and keep 1 as a spare hope this cures the problem

P0302 is a misfire on cylinder 2, as you say. No idea what that extra "P" means, the code wasn't just wrapping around and repeating, was it ?

It could be caused by various things. Might be worth swapping both the plug and the coilpack over to different cylinders and see if and where the code moves to.

missfire update well parts arrived fitted new plugs air filter and new coil cylinder 2 started up ok so disconnected Battery to reset ECU to claer codes ran engine for few minutes then checked for fault codes none shown. Drove car for 10 minutes to warm up then engine seems realy lumpy not smooth at all but no engine malfunction light on. ive noticed that the MPG gauge doesn't seem to be working properly. lifted the bonnet and can hear slight ticking noise coming from air intake block where accelerator cable fits dont know whats its called. Checked that all cables, pipes and electric plugs are still connected and they are. car seem worse than before i haven't go a clue why getting dark now so tomorrow thinking might put old plugs back in thinking i bought the wrong plugs ? the ones i 've got are Denso SK20R11 is this right. Cant understand why OBD isnt showing no faults because there is oboviously is Help

just another update went out and started car seemed fine but when warmed up thats when missfire returns also has engine management light flash on and off a few times checked OBD and gives code PO302 same as before. It seems the misfire only happens when the engine is warmwd up can any one shed some light on what could be wrong please any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated

Might be a silly question but you def changed cylinder 2? not 5?

I *think* the numbering starts from the front.

Dont mean to insult your intelligence but just something to check

Stav

Thanks for the reply i changed the second coil pack from the front of the engine i'm thinking that it may be a faulty new coil pack but probley wishfull thinking but will try any way. I'm also thinking it may have something to do with the Mass airflow sensor because it only missfirers when the engine is warmed up or fuel problems like an injector failing ? but to be honest im only guessing.

Thanks for the technicail suff and advice i've moved the coil packs to different cylinders but still the same missfire cylinder 2 but i've also got another code now as well PO171 which means system to lean. correct me if im wrong but could this possably indicate that the injector on cylinder 2 is the problem. If there was a problem with any senors / components controlling fuel, air or tempeture surley the miss fire would not be confined to one cylinder. Only a guess again has anyone got any thoughts or can offer further guidence thanks to all who have already offered advice

ok so it's not the coil packs if the problem is staying with cylinder 2.

Fuel pressure or the fuel injector on cylinder 2 do sound like good candidates for the problem. Perhaps some dirt has got into cylinder 2 and the injector there ?

As you say it's not like one whole bank of 3 cylinders has gone, only 1 is showing a problem.

ok so it's not the coil packs if the problem is staying with cylinder 2.

Fuel pressure or the fuel injector on cylinder 2 do sound like good candidates for the problem. Perhaps some dirt has got into cylinder 2 and the injector there ?

As you say it's not like one whole bank of 3 cylinders has gone, only 1 is showing a problem.

what do you suggest a new injector or just try to clean? is it a big job to change the injector

Hi just another up date iv'e given up trying to sort this missfire myself i got this mobile mechanic coming round friday and for £40 he reconds he can diagnose exactly what component is causing the problem plus hes got some fancy kit for testing/cleaning the injectors if nesessuary, will let you all know how he get on.

wot is the garage on something as there is no such tool

had misfire on mine went to garage 3 times before the AA came out again and tested the cooling system to find out that the system had petrol fumes in it which indicated that either the head had cracked or the head gasket had gone.

thank fully it was just the haed gasket

the downside of this was that it throw up misfire fault codes

my main advise is to bit the bullet and get a pressure test done on the engine and hope for the best. or you can keep spending loads of money nd it will only get worse

good luck

wot is the garage on something as there is no such tool

had misfire on mine went to garage 3 times before the AA came out again and tested the cooling system to find out that the system had petrol fumes in it which indicated that either the head had cracked or the head gasket had gone.

thank fully it was just the haed gasket

the downside of this was that it throw up misfire fault codes

my main advise is to bit the bullet and get a pressure test done on the engine and hope for the best. or you can keep spending loads of money nd it will only get worse

good luck

No sure tool to do what?

clean/flow test the injectors?

yes there is