Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Help! - Stuck Fuel Flap

Hi,

I have a 2001 IS200, I've just noticed my fuel cap release button doesn't work and so the fuel flap doesn't open! Any tips how to open it without wrecking the flap? I cant' fill up with petrol! :( I recently had all my locks changed (long story!) and just noticed it. Would the repairers detached something? The boot release still works though.

It feels like the cable is still intact. How do I check, do I have to dismantle the lever set-up to see?

It could just be the little plastic hinge that makes the flap pop open. It does corrode/snap easily and when it goes it won't pop open the flap when you pull the lever - so by the time you go round to it it's locked again (because the lever is back in the down/close position.

Get a friend to hold up the fuel flap release lever in the driver's seat (or jam something under it to keep it up) while you see if you can open the flap with a little prise with a credit card.

It feels like the cable is still intact. How do I check, do I have to dismantle the lever set-up to see?

It could just be the little plastic hinge that makes the flap pop open. It does corrode/snap easily and when it goes it won't pop open the flap when you pull the lever - so by the time you go round to it it's locked again (because the lever is back in the down/close position.

Get a friend to hold up the fuel flap release lever in the driver's seat (or jam something under it to keep it up) while you see if you can open the flap with a little prise with a credit card.

when u get it open check its not just a missing spring

when u get it open check its not just a missing spring

Thanks everyone for your help. I managed to get the fuel flap open by disengaging the lock from the inside (via the boot). The cable was intact but the spring had disappeared!. Like you said, either somebody helps to push open the flap whilst holding the lever or you can get something to jam it up.

Btw, anyone got a spare spring or know the part number??

• 10 years later...

Hey I just went to put fuel in my is200 lifted the fuel lever n it just sat up, pushed it down but felt spring loaded so wouldn't stay down. After fueling the fuel cover wouldn't close got home had someone holder lever down still flap won't close anyone can help before I atempt to fix it thx in advance