Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Finally It Is Time To Go

Well, it is time. Every 2 years I change cars, and that comes around quickly this time. I enjoyed Lexus ownership + did think about the 250 Automatic SEL. But. I wanted to try different. My previous cars were nearly always Japanese. Accords, Avensis, and Previa and Alfa 156. I even had Fiats and Lancia Delta. My company vans are always Toyota's Hi Ace diesels, one has don 277000 miles.

I wanted BMW320i. not diesel. Went to BMW dealership, and they could get me nearly new one but without nav. I like toys!! Anyway, they did good deal on the 325d Automatic Sports, Red, leather, PMedia/USB, Sun glass, Xenon. Picked it up and nearly cried. Lexus wasn't bad. It was mainly good. Rattling shouldn't have been there and garage mainly fixed it all. I didn't care too much about economy, I know the problems on this site. But there is no doubting that BMW is better to drive at the wheel. Manual box on test drive car was excellent. Light /crisp. Auto is amazing. Taking corners is WOW, but slow speed ride is rubbish bumpy. I am changing away the RF tyres next month. It is also much less road noise. Much much less on BMW Goodyear then bridgestone. Build quality is fantastic. Seems very good.

BUT not many toys :whistling:

Power is amazing and economy is good too. It has I think 20 more horses HP, but it does feel +50 horses! I did drive yesterday for 150 miles, at Running in speeds on A roads and highways. No flatspot. driving gently, letting auto box do all work while I get used to it. 51mpg! That is highest I seen for long time, but I didn't buy for economy. The punchiness from acceleration is amazing. I am trying taking easy 'cos running in but keep forgetting.

Only had it few days, but:

BMW I like: handling, engine, gearbox, less noise (engine and roads), bigger boot, seats comfort. Hard but nice on long journey yesterday.

BMW don't like : Hard tyres (YUCK), plain dash board and no keyless.

Lexus I like : Looks, Sound system, toys toys toys. Very good dealers.

Lexus don't likes : Rattling and squeaking dashboard, noisy engine, road noise, small funny shaped boot, "deep" seating

Lexus bad are small points really as car is very good. Things I already missing - camera, sound system, heated seats, electric mireors (I park in narrow spaces). Any way, I will now be on the other side, but will keep an eye out here. 2 years isn't long now, and I might be back soon!

I will miss you guys and the Lexus.

Ciao

Sad to see you go mate but sounds like you've got a nice replacement there, good luck with it (perhaps some pics of the new ride are in order before you go :whistling: )

Have to say though, if you're going to buy a diesel only the BMWs really make sense - I have no idea how they do it but their diesel engines are in a whole different league to everyone else. (I still hate diesels though and am hoping to never have to touch one!)

Like you Gunther, we went back to BMW [from owning an RX for a couple of years]. Like you, we couldn't really fault the car or ownership experience, but the BMW is just...well...so much better.

You wont regret the move, but you will miss the attentive Dealer service from Lexus - unless you set the ground rules with your Dealer from the off. My local BMW MK dealer now knows me by name and face - and knows I expect a high level of service, else they know they will feel my sharp tongue! :)

Lexus I like : Looks, Sound system, toys toys toys. Very good dealers.

Lexus don't likes : Rattling and squeaking dashboard, noisy engine, road noise, small funny shaped boot, "deep" seating

Heh, I have to agree about the squeeks and road noise, especiallialy the road noise, but engine noise, certainly not.

I've lost count of the number of people that are shocked to see my IS following them on supermarket carpark, they dont know its there till they see it. I was recently in a rush when arriving at my sisters house, and got out of the car without turning it off. :/ 4 and a half hours later my brother in law arrives home, "did you leave your car running?" He didnt hear it, he parked behind it and saw water drops from the exhaust.

Then engine is almost totally silent when warm, unless it's given some revs.

Heh, I have to agree about the squeeks and road noise, especiallialy the road noise, but engine noise, certainly not.

I've lost count of the number of people that are shocked to see my IS following them on supermarket carpark, they dont know its there till they see it. I was recently in a rush when arriving at my sisters house, and got out of the car without turning it off. :/ 4 and a half hours later my brother in law arrives home, "did you leave your car running?" He didnt hear it, he parked behind it and saw water drops from the exhaust.

Then engine is almost totally silent when warm, unless it's given some revs.

You've got a 250 mate which is pretty much silent, I think the OP had a 220d, which is definitely not silent!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links