Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mclaren

Parthiban

I knew McLaren were saying they had problems, but this vid is quite shocking! Ok it's clear the Ferrari starts first, and you don't know whether they're both doing a full on start, but coupled with McLaren's horrendous testing pace and them actually coming out and saying they have serious grip problems it's not looking good...........

It would be really disappointing if Lewis isn't up there with even a chance of defending his title, I was looking forward to a good fight this season - here's hoping they get it together in the next few weeks!

Please wait a few seconds for Video to Load!
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow the prices have really gone up this year............I went in 07 having bought my tickets in the pit straight grandstand off someone else the day before the GP for £200 each, which isn't so bad compared to the actual ticket prices this year!

Why is some of luffield quite cheap though, I think that's quite a good place to sit wherever you are (as long as it's not in front of a big pillar, lol)

That doesn't prove anything.......how much fuel was the Mclaren holding, what were the tyre pressure, suspension and downforce settings plus dont forget this season is a total new beginning as chassis have not run on slicks.

Mclaren arent going to show there hand in front of rivals at a test, they will be there or there abouts come the end of the season.

That doesn't prove anything.......how much fuel was the Mclaren holding, what were the tyre pressure, suspension and downforce settings plus dont forget this season is a total new beginning as chassis have not run on slicks.

Mclaren arent going to show there hand in front of rivals at a test, they will be there or there abouts come the end of the season.

They are struggling though granted that vid is completely useless as havent got a clue on what each car is running, but read some bits on the net and Mclaren say that arent showing until the first race but are having speed issues, i think it would be safe to say its stupid if they arent pushing the car to its limit other wise they dont know what its really capable of, ho hum F1 racing is usually pretty crap to watch MotoGP, World superbikes, British superbikes, WTCC, BTCC, are all much more exciting and involving to watch, hopefully the new rules will make me a lover of F1 again.

Yep it's true that vid on it's own doesn't prove anything but at a test they do need to test the car, otherwise they have no idea what they're dealing with or how to set the car up perfectly at the races.

Also the fact they were running the car at the test with the green dye to watch the airflow is a big sign that they're worried as no one would normally do that in public.

And having said at one extent that it doesn't prove anything, Ferrari were doing a practice start which probably means that there was fuel on board - and if McLaren weren't doing the same, then what's the point in doing what they did.

Have to admit it would be the funniest thing ever if they were making all this up for publicity and come first race they're just awesome :lol:

read some bits on the net and Mclaren say that arent showing until the first race but are having speed issues,

Heard all that b4......your dealing with the best automotive engineers in the business at the top of the tree and they WILL find what is needed for the season.

read some bits on the net and Mclaren say that arent showing until the first race but are having speed issues,

Heard all that b4......your dealing with the best automotive engineers in the business at the top of the tree and they WILL find what is needed for the season.

Suppose we'll just have to wait and see.

I was a McLaren fan for many years from back in the days with Hakkinen so I'm not just saying this, but McLaren was great because of Adrian Newey. Losing him was a major loss to the team, and I think they're struggling with the sudden rule change as they never really had anyone to properly replace him.

McLaren getting good also strangely coincided with the stolen info from Ferrari as well so no one will ever know for sure whether there was any impact from that.

I'm sure they will get it sorted soon enough, but I hope it's before Australia so that the season starts with everyone in the ring. However, I'm pretty sure they're not playing games, the car has some clear inherent problems (similar to Honda's car last year) which need some serious ironing out.

I think it's very difficult to judge form just on the pre-season testing. I remember a season or two ago when Honda had great winter testing and then were a disaster when the season started. Often teams sandbag so as not to give too much away. I wonder if Mclaren are employing some psychological tactics to this end. I also wonder about the apparently amazing results from Brawn given the lack of running they've had over the winter, I imagine they are running light to get those times.

It'll also be interesting to see how the ban on testing outside of races affects things.

As has been said though, we'll have to wait and see ! At least it's not long to wait now.

Yeah you're absolutely right Stevie, and I think that it's definitely true of Ferrari and BMW. I'm pretty sure they're playing some games by saying Brawn are a real threat to take focus away from them, I think if they wanted to they could have topped every time sheet so far (if you notice they came second in most of them) - they are the two top teams at the moment.

I'm excited about Brawn, as even if they were light, they were still huge chunks ahead of the others which does indicate some raw speed in there - which I hope continues as Button and Barrichello both deserve a chance!

I'm sure they'll get it sorted but I don't think McLaren would be right at the bottom of the timesheets if they were just making it up - they have very limited testing nowadays so it would be stupid to waste it playing games and pretending they're rubbish when they're not. I do believe that currently they have serious problems, but hope they'll fix it in the next few weeks!

And yes, not long to go now and I can't wait! :D

I think BMW will be very good this year and hopefully toyota along with brawn. Ferrari head aerodynamicist stated in the world motorsport symposium this year that BMW have been developing there car for along time and they are the ones to be watching out for. He also said that being in the fight for the world championship they couldnt stop trying to get there current car (at the time) quicker leaving them further behind this year, i'm guessing this is Mclarens problem as well.

I heard somewhere that Honda were developing there car from very early just after the regulation were announced which could explain the pace that they have at the moment.

It should be an interested year especially going back to BBC, the teaser adverts they've had on have been making it much more anticipated than ITV ever did.

Also just read that the Brawn car is in the same situation as Williams and toyota with the rear diffuser which could render there cars illegal, again could be a reason why there so quick.

The FIA have just announced that the world championship will, for this season, be decided by who wins the most races, with the current points system as a tie-breaker. More here.

I still think they would have been better off just going back to the old points system where there was a higher bias towards winning, but this is still good as it will mean the end of conservative drives..........also throws team orders out the window completely as each driver will have to go for the win :)

Does anyone smell a rat here?

All new rules and regs for this season were announced just after last season and the FIA have left it till the last minute to announce these new rules, maybe they were put under pressure from Ferrari after the dramatic end to last year, i mean what fan didn't enjoy it....its what we all dreamt, the F1 championship of drivers fighting for no1 on the last race on the last corner in the last 5 seconds of racing. I think it leans towards pressure from Ferrari after all thats what FIA stands for...isn't it :huh:

The other rule is that teams that want to run 2 cars from 2010 the budget is cut to 30 million for the season.....sounds a lot doesn't it but when you consider most of the top teams employ 700-1000 people in factories developing parts, oh and included in that sum is the drivers wages!!

That's not quite it mate, they choose to either have no budget restrictions as current and follow the current rules, or they can elect to have a $30m cap but then will be allowed more freedom in the cars design - essentially it's a way to align the teams.

I also think it's very silly and they're starting to meddle too much - either cap everyone or cap no one.........and $30m including driver pay is ridiculous (or not as it ensures that the top teams won't take it up but the small teams will)

I'm sorry but unless you were a Lewis fan, the end of the last race was really poor - I wasn't bothered who won the title after Kimi was out of it, but I did want Massa to win purely because he deserved it so much more...........

I'm sorry but unless you were a Lewis fan, the end of the last race was really poor -

What?.......poor your kidding me!

Thats like saying team X should win the Champions League coz they played better football than team Y Hamilton was the much better driver overall as the points proved that.

If Ferrari say win 8 GP's (Possible) and 4 were shared by the minor teams the season could be over by August (Spa) i think this will kill F1.

I cant forget the look on Massa Snr's face when he thought he''d won at Brazil........loser!!

The new scoring system is stupid, why does the FIA feck everything up, its **** and can be pretty much proven by no other motorsport or sport I know of using wins over a point system (someone no doubt will point 1 or 2 out to me now LoL).

Im not sure on the new £30m rule, it could be good, as i believe there given a hell of a lot of freedom, granted the budget is about 10-15 time less than usual but could see some new interested cars which potentially could screw up big money teams. I think it will get more cars on the teams in the pits and more cars on the grid, which is a good thing.

The only thing is how will they keep tabs on the £30m budget.

Yeah it's dumb, they're meddling too much (like what they did with qualifying). The only upside is that part of me is thinking it will be quite cool that they absolutely have to win so you might see some really risky overtaking and more last lap crashes too as a result. However, they could have done this by changing the point structure to 12-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 imho.

Also you can't on one hand tell them to be driving on the limit to win everytime, and then say engines and gearboxes have to last x number of races - it makes no sense (I'm pretty sure this rule will only last one season)

And the budget thing will work in theory, but turns the sport into an accountants game. It will be all about fiddling the numbers to show they're only spending $30m, so no one will have a clue how much they're actually spending.......

I'm just hoping the racing will help make up for the mess F1 is becoming........

Simply stupid rule, they could have given points for qualifying placement then you wouldn't get the likes of Ferrari et all, placing themselves in strategic positions to favour the "lead" driver. Far to many changes this year, F1 will not be F1 this year more a hybrid.

I'm sorry but unless you were a Lewis fan, the end of the last race was really poor - I wasn't bothered who won the title after Kimi was out of it, but I did want Massa to win purely because he deserved it so much more...........

On what grounds did he deserve it more? Winning the last race comfortably? If he deserved it more, he would have scored more points throughout the season. He didn't, so he didn't win the championship... I note from the BBCs website website that not since 1989 would the new rules have altered the actual results. And also from that article, if Lewis hadn't been demoted to 3rd at Belgium, he would have won on the new most-wins system anyway.

Obviously it's open to discussion, but imo Lewis put himself in the position of losing the championship with silly errors (canada) and bringing on controversy (spa)

Massa lost because he was let down by the team (singapore) and did everything he could to win it - including the win at Brazil. Lewis would have earned it if he had made some kind of effort in Brazil but Lewis's performance was dire, as though he didn't really want it. He didn't even pull off some amazing overtake to get the 5th place he needed, he just inherited it.

I think you'd struggle to find a non-Lewis supporter who thought he deserved the title - and I think that's also what angered Bernie into this stupid rule change, if Massa had won it they wouldn't have changed anything.

Here's another possible outcome of the new rules: Potentially, the driver crowned world champion may only have finished two races all season.

If he wins those two races, and all the remaining races each have a different winning driver, then our new 'world champion' will be crowned as such even though he would only have scored 16 points under the old rules, and another driver may have scored 138 points (1 win plus finishing second at the remaining 16 races). Yet surely no-one would argue that the chap with 138 points is probably a much more deserving champion than our crash-happy double winner?

Am not entirely convinced they've thought this through!