Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Any Feedback On Facelifted Is

Hi all

I was wondering how forum members with the facelifted IS are getting on. For example, have the modifications to the dash, etc cured all the creaks and rattles that seemed so common with the 2005/08 IS cars? Also has the ride quality improved with the suspension mods?

Any feedback on these or any other issues would be welcome as I'm still sitting on the sidelines wondering whether to buy a nearly new IS250 MM auto or whether it's worth paying the extra for a new SEI. The cosmetic styling changes to the interior and exterior aren't really sufficient to swing my decision either way. My main disappointment with the SEI is that it doesn't have the Mark Levinson audio or the dynamic route guidance

Best regards

Roger

If you can wait why not wait 2 months or so and buy a nearly new SE-L? I'm sure it would cost the same or maybe less than a new SE-I and that way you get everything :)

Hi Parthiban

Waiting for a used facelifted SE-L is certainly another option I'm considering. However, I'm not sure whether the 18" wheels will make the ride too hard for my liking. Also over the past few months that I've been looking only a relatively few SE-L's have come on the second-hand market whereas there always seems to be a reasonable choice of used SE's.

Best regards

Roger

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all

I was wondering how forum members with the facelifted IS are getting on. For example, have the modifications to the dash, etc cured all the creaks and rattles that seemed so common with the 2005/08 IS cars? Also has the ride quality improved with the suspension mods?

Any feedback on these or any other issues would be welcome as I'm still sitting on the sidelines wondering whether to buy a nearly new IS250 MM auto or whether it's worth paying the extra for a new SEI. The cosmetic styling changes to the interior and exterior aren't really sufficient to swing my decision either way. My main disappointment with the SEI is that it doesn't have the Mark Levinson audio or the dynamic route guidance

Best regards

Roger

Anybody out there?

• 1 month later...
Hi all

Best regards

Roger

Anybody out there?

??

Assume there are no owners of facelifted ISs on here yet? Did have a good look round one at the dealers a short while ago and I really liked the minor updates - in the pics I thought the dash looked awful but in reality it looks really nice, also like the two tone interior for the lighter colours but doubt that'll be to everyone's tastes........

Hi all

Best regards

Roger

SE-I ordered early March. Not expecting it until mid June. The dealer told me the factory had closed for a few weeks.

Hi all

Best regards

Roger

SE-I ordered early March. Not expecting it until mid June. The dealer told me the factory had closed for a few weeks.

Ordered a 220d IS sel in Caspian Sky with Multi Media and 18'' Baransu alloy wheels, this was ordered 2 weeks ago and been told to expect delivery late July

Assume there are no owners of facelifted ISs on here yet? Did have a good look round one at the dealers a short while ago and I really liked the minor updates - in the pics I thought the dash looked awful but in reality it looks really nice, also like the two tone interior for the lighter colours but doubt that'll be to everyone's tastes........

Haven't seen one in the flesh but there's a pre-owned 250 SEL for sale at Wolverhampton. It's colour is described as Aleutian Grey? It has Grey Sussex leather and looking at the blown-up thumbnail of the interior the tan coloured wood has been replaced by grey, I think it looks great in the pics, will have to go and have a look.

Hi all

In the end I decided to grit my teeth and spend some extra cash to get a new SE-I 250 auto with nav rather than a one or two year old SE or SEL. I'm expecting to take delivery toward the end of June.

Having had test drives in a couple of pre- and one post-facelift car I thought the suspension changes were a significant improvement. Also I like the interior trim modifications, being able to use the paddle-shifters in "D" and the parking sensors. The only real down-side for me was the loss of the dynamic route guidance but I certainly couldn't stretch the budget to a new SE-L.

I think I've dithered more over this choice of car than I ever have before. However, perhaps because of that extended period of dithering I now find I'm really looking forward to getting it and certainly with more anticipation than was the case with my last couple of cars.

After I've had it for a month or so, I'll report back on my early experiences.

Best regards

Roger

Hi all

In the end I decided to grit my teeth and spend some extra cash to get a new SE-I 250 auto with nav rather than a one or two year old SE or SEL. I'm expecting to take delivery toward the end of June.

Having had test drives in a couple of pre- and one post-facelift car I thought the suspension changes were a significant improvement. Also I like the interior trim modifications, being able to use the paddle-shifters in "D" and the parking sensors. The only real down-side for me was the loss of the dynamic route guidance but I certainly couldn't stretch the budget to a new SE-L.

I think I've dithered more over this choice of car than I ever have before. However, perhaps because of that extended period of dithering I now find I'm really looking forward to getting it and certainly with more anticipation than was the case with my last couple of cars.

After I've had it for a month or so, I'll report back on my early experiences.

Best regards

Roger

Be interesting to hear your comments after a period of ownership.

Don't talk to me about dithering. I may eventually end up getting a 250 SEL but the dealer nearest to me is useless, the salesman a grade one pratt and the quote with no trade was in an insult, in fact they were about as professional as British Gas.

I've a choice, travel further to a dealership or buy one from Deal Drivers or their ilk. Whilst I'm dithering I drive about in a BMW 320d when I need to. It's very economical, comfortable, goes well, does everything right but does nothing for me, I don't like the look of it and it's bland but will do me until I stop dithering.

Congratulations on the purchase Roger, hope it lives up to expectations! I didn't know you could use the paddle shifters in D now, definitely makes sense when you just want to drop a few gears on the motorway or something.

the dealer nearest to me is useless

How far north of watford are you? Are you using Lexus Hatfield? Not really heard much about them to be honest, but if you can take the trip to Woodford I'm sure you'll be happier :)

Hi Exiled: I've found Lexus, Cambridge sales staff to be very helpful and thoroughly professional and so I can recommend them. Also as cars listed by internet car brokers such as Deal Drivers are supplied by UK main dealers, you should be able to find a UK Lexus main dealer who is willing and able to match their prices.

Hi Parthiban: Like you I think the new behaviour of the autobox makes a lot of sense, here's an extract from a description I found on a USA web site about it:

>>When the shift lever is in the D position, operating the “-” side shift paddle switch will enter fixed range mode which restricts the highest gear. By operating the shift paddle switches “+” (UP) or “-” (DOWN), the shift range can be changed. At this time, the shift range indicator light in the combination meter assembly changes to inform the driver that the D position (fixed range mode) has been entered.

If the vehicle is stopped, driving at a constant speed, or accelerating for more than a specified period of time, the vehicle will change back to normal D position operation. Alternately, if the “+” side shift paddle switch is operated for 1 second or more, normal D position operation will resume.<<

I'm in a wild and lonely place a long long way north of Watford, places like Hatfield, Woodford and Cambridge are just names on a map to me.

Getting prices from the internet sellers wil be my first point of reference although I prefer to buy from a dealer, feel they are more obligated to you.

I had my heart set on an auto but Roger Bill's extract from the USA website is making me think about a manual box, I thought auto's were supposed to be simple :unsure: (only joking)

hi. i have just been given a facelift 250 as a courtesy car while my front and rear bumpers are repainted and i have to say the rattles seem worse on this new one which has 3500 miles on the clock, than in my 55 plate se-l with 24000 miles. i can hear them coming from the doors, the dash, everywhere. the physical differences are mainly the centre air vents, and a couple of the switches on the doors for locking and unlocking are different. on the outside the only things i can see are the new rear lights and the indicators in the door mirrors and slightly different bumpers.

you can also now use the paddles in 'D' but i couldn't test any MM features or anything else as this one is the bottom of the range version - no leather etc, and 16' wheels.

all i can say is can't wait for mine to come home LOL. only had it a week and a bit and i already miss it but can't wait for the bumpers to look the way they should!!!

i had a 220d 09 plate loan car last week....no rattles what so ever, infact after reading all the negatives abt the 220d i was temtped to ask for a is250 but thought id give the Diesel ago, and all i can say is that what a great car it is(had it for 3 days) and i drove it like i stole it everywhere...i personally dont think its a bad car, a guy i work with has one and from brand new has had no probs - 5th injector, rattles ect...

Im tempted to save up for one and chop my 300 in.

hi. i have just been given a facelift 250 as a courtesy car while my front and rear bumpers are repainted and i have to say the rattles seem worse on this new one which has 3500 miles on the clock, than in my 55 plate se-l with 24000 miles. i can hear them coming from the doors, the dash, everywhere.

With all the complaints posted on the forum in this vein I could become quite dispirited because I've just committed my hard earned cash to buy a new SEI. However, I prefer to believe it's a positive point in favour of a car when the biggest problem owners report are trim rattles. Obviously those with the IS diesel have encountered more serious problems but, having ordered a 250 auto, I'm hoping to be soon enjoying the legendary trouble free Lexus experience or, at worst, nothing more troublesome than an odd rattle!

hi. i have just been given a facelift 250 as a courtesy car while my front and rear bumpers are repainted and i have to say the rattles seem worse on this new one which has 3500 miles on the clock, than in my 55 plate se-l with 24000 miles. i can hear them coming from the doors, the dash, everywhere.

With all the complaints posted on the forum in this vein I could become quite dispirited because I've just committed my hard earned cash to buy a new SEI. However, I prefer to believe it's a positive point in favour of a car when the biggest problem owners report are trim rattles. Obviously those with the IS diesel have encountered more serious problems but, having ordered a 250 auto, I'm hoping to be soon enjoying the legendary trouble free Lexus experience or, at worst, nothing more troublesome than an odd rattle!

i agree. my is200 did 120 000 miles before i swapped it and believe me i have never had such a reliable car. even my 250 has no mechanical problems and as you say, just has the odd rattle. i am sure you will absolutely love your SE-I and will never be able to drive anything else but lexus again, i know i won't LOL ;)

Don't become dispirited Roger, I think you're on a safe bet. Over the past couple of years concensus has it that the auto is the one to buy, a few have complained about dashboard and trim rattles and in the majority of cases these have been sorted out by the dealer.The vast majority of 250 auto owners are delighted with their choice.

I was hoping that having altered the front face vent surround that rattles in that area might have been cured, but there are issues with all cars. I thought it was a dream to drive and hope you find so too. Keep us posted.

Have to add to that, although the rattles are quite widespread I've now had 4 different IS250 courtesy cars over the last few years and not one of them has rattled. It does seem an odd issue, where it appears you have almost a 50:50 chance of it being there or not!

Is it something to do with the way cars are made nowadays? Our CLS also has very similar trim rattles from the dash and door panels, maybe it's a change in materials or something?

What makes it weirder as it's not like there's something loose which is what used to be the cause of rattles (even in my IS, the last time I had a rattle it was the sunroof cable which had come loose above my head) but now everything is tight and properly fitted, but it rattles!

Is it something to do with the way cars are made nowadays? Our CLS also has very similar trim rattles from the dash and door panels, maybe it's a change in materials or something?

may be it is because today's cars are so quiet. It doesn't look like, but when I sit to older car and than back to lexus - it is huge difference.

may be it is because today's cars are so quiet. It doesn't look like, but when I sit to older car and than back to lexus - it is huge difference.

That's an interesting point, but we used to have an older S500 before the CLS and that was silent inside but didn't rattle at all.......

That's an interesting point, but we used to have an older S500 before the CLS and that was silent inside but didn't rattle at all.......

You've had some lovely cars - S500 and a CLS!!! What's the CLS like? I'm thinking about getting one for my next car.

You've had some lovely cars - S500 and a CLS!!! What's the CLS like? I'm thinking about getting one for my next car.

They're my dads cars so can't really take credit :blush:

The CLS is really good though, there were a few bizarre failures early one that were sorted under warranty but after that it's been perfect. It's comfortable and quiet, but is pretty sharp to drive (although the steering is a bit light for my liking)

It's weird the car is still relatively rare given how great it is to look at, it still turns heads and we've had it 4 years...........