Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Bypassing Built In Amp For New Double Din Tv

hi everyone. i was wondering if there is some1 that can help me. i have to bypass the built in amp in my is200 sport, to wire a double din tv.

thing is i have tried to remove the amp which is located behind the glove box but with the space provided the amp is to big to come out and there is not enough room for me to get my hand behind the amp to disconnect wires

anyone have any tips of me please. thanks jimbob

There's a walkthrough about how to remove the amp here. I found it tricky to get it out, even with the walkthrough, but I think I wasn't pulling the dash away enough.

But if you're putting in a new head unit, you'll need an amp bypass cable, which you can get off eBay. This connect the head unit to the OEM wiring and bypasses the amp.

Thats correct,

so the wires at the back of the stereo dont contain the usual speaker left right/front rear etc.

them wires go into the amp so in theory your just extending them to the back of the stereo.

Stav

Thats correct,

so the wires at the back of the stereo dont contain the usual speaker left right/front rear etc.

them wires go into the amp so in theory your just extending them to the back of the stereo.

Stav

Ahh, thanks. Thought it was quite standard to have amp built into the stereo, then again, i suppose the car does have 8 speakers to power. Is there a spec's for the amp? perhaps it could be used with the new HU (with modification)? much like connecting a 4 channel amp to an after market HU. :unsure:

Ahh, thanks. Thought it was quite standard to have amp built into the stereo, then again, i suppose the car does have 8 speakers to power. Is there a spec's for the amp? perhaps it could be used with the new HU (with modification)? much like connecting a 4 channel amp to an after market HU. :unsure:

Don't know if there's a spec about, but there's a wiring diagram here, that might help a bit. This is for 2001 cars onwards, earlier cars may be slightly different (their diagram is here).

I really wouldnt bother using the amp.

just chuck it out.

Stav

Why would you say that? I've never heard what the sound quality is like so I cant comment.

Thanks for the links. Although one cant work out the specs from them :whistling: none the less, its useful! [bookmarked]

just chuck it out.

Stav

Unless you have factory fitted Sat Nav then leave the smaller plug in the amp otherwise the Sat Nav won't work.

i have a sat nav. so that means if i ever come to changing the headunit i will have to keep the amp in.

just chuck it out.

Stav

Unless you have factory fitted Sat Nav then leave the smaller plug in the amp otherwise the Sat Nav won't work.

i have a sat nav. so that means if i ever come to changing the headunit i will have to keep the amp in.

yea it takes up so little room you will never notice anyway. The large plug comes off easy enough just leave the small one in place, you will also need Fargos dongle for the head unit wiring loom to fool the satnav into thinking the standard head unit is still in place.