Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Grooved Disks.

Andy-R

Going to do the front pads soon and i'm debating whether or not to upgrade the disks to grooved/drilled ones, the disks don't need changing and have never been a problem so is it actually worth changing them, I only do around 8k a year mostly mooching around town, don't do many motorway miles, certainly don't go on track days and I haven't really got that heavy a right foot, not all the time anyway :whistling: would like better brakeing but i've never needed grooved disks on any of my cars so don't know if it's worth the expense on the Lex, any thoughts?

Cheers.

From what you have said I wouldn't bother. Just change the pads (and discs with normal ones if the old discs are warped/lipped).

From what you have said I wouldn't bother. Just change the pads (and discs with normal ones if the old discs are warped/lipped).

Your probably right, don't think there's anything wrong with disks but will check properly, the pads defo need doing so might just do both at the same time, swaying towards the EBC ultimax pads over the Mintex at the mo anyone know if the EBC are better and if so by how much?

In my opinion EBC are cr@p! had them on a previous car and ended up putting OEM's back on.

Im currently using Mintex Xtreme Pads with Prolex Grooved/Dimpled discs and loving them, before that I had standard Mintex pads and couldnt find any faults with those, highly recomend!

I always assumed the Mintex kit was OEM replacement. Am I wrong here? If I was going for an upgrade I would use Mintex Xtreme pads.

asi - I looked around a lot for the brake lines and the Goodridge ones are the cheapest and highly rated.

Always had the Mintex pads on mine and very pleased with them :)

The drilled/grooved discs are ok, as the grooves/dimples are there to help in cooling and to deglaze the pads under heavy breaking :)

But for everyday driving the oem discs are enough with a set of mintex or oem pads :)

Cheers guys, the Lex is the 1st rear wheel drive car i've had so is it worth doing front and back at the same time, only really feels like the front need doing but if it's better to do them all at the same time I may aswell do that.

alot of other people say ebc are good. let me know how you get on mate

Sorry but had to nip in and give my ten penneth worth, and to add some support to EBC Green stuff pads, seeing as how I'm pretty much impressed with them on mine so far.

Bearing in mind theres the 4000 (standard)6000, (heavy duty) and the 7000 (mainly for 4x4)series of Green stuff pads, I plumbed for the 6000 series, Tony at WIM fitted them for me last November, and because they have a special coating to aid with bedding in, Tony had to leave the out two shims either side on the Front pads as they were too thick to put on with the shims as well, and recommended I tried to re-fit the shims after around 1000 miles or so. Well last week after 2 previous tries to refit the shims, and 5000 miles on, the shims still won't fit, as the pads have hardly worn down, car stops on a sixpence, and yes I initially have a little squeal for a couple of days after trying to refit shims , but goes to quiet afterwards no problem.

Not dissing the EBC's matey, wasn't considering the greenstuff one's was thinking the ultimax which i'm sure a really good pads but the Mintex are quite abit cheaper and by all accounts just as good, glad your happy with yours and I may even use EBC in future if i'm not impressed with the Mintex.

i always replace them as and when required matey, but they are easy to do so up to you really mate :)

Might leave the rears for now then, will just make sure they don't need doing before I order pads, don't want to start messing with the rears until I can get hold of one of those clips to hold the pads in place, still searching :whistling: but I have only been looking for 2 years :lol:

Not dissing the EBC's matey, wasn't considering the greenstuff one's was thinking the ultimax which i'm sure a really good pads but the Mintex are quite abit cheaper and by all accounts just as good, glad your happy with yours and I may even use EBC in future if i'm not impressed with the Mintex.

Andy just had a read up on the EBC ultimax, and now remember why I went for the Greenstuff ones, the Ultimax are a good replacement for the OEM pads, and are a good budget pad, but it was the less brake dust from the Greenstuff ones that swayed me. I'm a lazy so and so and didn't fancy cleaning my shiney alloys every weekend, come rain or shine.

Ultimax

General replacement pads

Greenstuff

Performance upgrade and far less dust

Redstuff

For cars producing over 200BHP

Yellowstuff

Track and fast road

Bluestuff

Endurance racing