Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rx400h Nav Hack

Just wondered if anyone has tried this, as described in the thread below :

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-second-...bypass-diy.html

I can't believe anyone would hack away at their car's wiring to enable the use of sat nav on the move. It seem like hard work and could go wrong when all you would have to do is pull over to change destination.

Just wondered if anyone has tried this, as described in the thread below :

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-second-...bypass-diy.html

I can't believe anyone would hack away at their car's wiring to enable the use of sat nav on the move. It seem like hard work and could go wrong when all you would have to do is pull over to change destination.

You're right, I would never contemplate doing that and in fact, you no longer need to - as discussed in another thread, the latest navigation software from Lexus allows you to enter destination on the move.

What is incredibly frustrating however is the lock of the mp3 folders and inability to make phone calls on the move using the touch screen keypad - the former particularly so, as once you are moving you are unable to see what other tracks are on the CD ! I completely understand the safety / liability issues involved but the simple fact is that Lexus have deemed it to be safe, for example, to fiddle with the climate control function via the touch screen on the move, yet apparently it is unsafe to see what tracks are on any particular CD you are playing unless you are stationary !

At the very least, these functions should have been enabled for the passenger to be able to use !

• 7 years later...
On 3/18/2009 at 1:09 PM, knitware said:

I know this is an old issue but this was a problem when on a freeway (or motorway) when you are not allowed to pull over so altering the route to avoid traffic was impossible - happened enough times to make me really mad. I've just loaded a 2016/17 DVD and the lock on the route setting has gone - but the phone lock is still there :(

The only hack I'd ever contemplate undertaking would be if you could hardwire TomTom navigation to appear on the display screen. 

The nav system on my RX300 is from 2005 so the interface is a bit dated and as I've been a TomTom user since the early days, when you used a PDA and a separate GPS receiver, it is what I'm used to! The 3D view and lane indication are big advantages on more modern systems. I don't think this will ever happen due to integration issues with the other on screen functions.

It's not a big deal to attach my TomTom to the windscreen but it would be better if it were integrated!

I had a TomTom once - very painful experience so switched to Garmin. I'm amazed at how many seemingly obvious features the Garmin had that the Lexus doesn't - like auto zoom according to speed/distance from junction; display of speed limit, etc. I'll get used to it again I expect.

The wiring hack is pretty straight forward if a tad tedious to get at

Thanks