Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Know it's been covered before but looks like my 2nd lot of alloys will be needing to be replaced

Had the originals replaced at 30,000 service (about 8 months ago I think), now new ones are corroding and bubbling at alarming rate, far worse than original set in fact

Coming up for 50,000 service so am assuming Lexus will replace these still under warranty????

Must be costing them an absolute fortune........

Know it's been covered before but looks like my 2nd lot of alloys will be needing to be replaced

Had the originals replaced at 30,000 service (about 8 months ago I think), now new ones are corroding and bubbling at alarming rate, far worse than original set in fact

Coming up for 50,000 service so am assuming Lexus will replace these still under warranty????

good warranty though.

Has to be all the salt that's spread on UK roads that's the cause...as much as I'd like a new set of alloys there's not a spec of corrosion on mine

good warranty though.

cracking, shouldn't complain really I suppose......

The head honcho at the Lexus dealer I use rang me a week or so ago on another matter, but we got talking about alloys.

He says the corrosion problem is restricted to the UK and does not affect the States, Scandinavia, Asia & so on. Lexus Japan did not believe there was a problem until a container load of corroded wheels were sent to them to prove the point. Supposedly the wheels are are now subject to a more rigourous manufacturing policy and if I remember correctly there is more lacquer put on them.

He said he thinks that the problem occurs because we have a damp cold climate whereas other countries don't, e.g. Scandinavia is cold but is comparatively dry. He also thinks that it is possibly due to the grit & salt mix that is used on roads here rather than just salt. This possibly makes pinholes in the wheel lacquer which allows corrosion to occur.

But none of this answers the big question: Why do Lexus (still?) have a problem which other manufacturers don't seem to have :question:

Does the BMW, Audi, Merc and other cars suffer this alloy symptoms? i guess not so the problem is not restricted to the UK. Besides, I have a GS300 and the allows are still looking good

Mine is due 20k service in next two weeks and will need originals replacing, I noticed when I cleaned them on Monday They have never had anything other than soap to clean them and have always had a wax protection.

Anyone got any pics of "bubbled" ones, have had a good look at mine and cant find anything but although it sounds daft want to know i am looking in the right nooks and crannys on the wheels, is it blatantly obvious or is it one of those things you really need to look for?

Mine is due 20k service in next two weeks and will need originals replacing, I noticed when I cleaned them on Monday They have never had anything other than soap to clean them and have always had a wax protection.

Anyone got any pics of "bubbled" ones, have had a good look at mine and cant find anything but although it sounds daft want to know i am looking in the right nooks and crannys on the wheels, is it blatantly obvious or is it one of those things you really need to look for?

i have found that the corrosion starts at the back of the spokes and creeps around to the front.

i have found that the corrosion starts at the back of the spokes and creeps around to the front.

Thanks thats kind of what i was wondering if it was on the back sides of the spokes so to speak and then coming round to the front more visable sides, will have to get on the case of having a look in the morning

Had all four replaced last year and now both rears have gone again... Best way to describe them is small blisters on the spokes, car 18 months old and only done 13,000 miles... If I can get a decent photo will put it on although the blisters are small..

When I questioned the service manager he mentioned soemthing about the type of salt we use in the UK, was speaking to a guy from dumfries & galloway council about their gritting operations on the M74 and he said it was nonsense.

just to be different, mine corrode all over the place, side of spokes, front of spokes, rims, will try and get some pics later uploaded......

Presumably, Lexus will not keep replacing these once the manufacturer's warranty is over. If so owners seem to have a choice. Get them refurbed as a service item every 2 years (£200) or replace them with QUALITY items at a cost of £????. Perhaps a thread should be started on recommended replacement alloys.

Presumably, Lexus will not keep replacing these once the manufacturer's warranty is over. If so owners seem to have a choice. Get them refurbed as a service item every 2 years (£200) or replace them with QUALITY items at a cost of £????. Perhaps a thread should be started on recommended replacement alloys.

I was just wondering the same thing. My IS250 is over 3 years old now with 100k on the clock, so well out of warranty. I have had two sets under warranty, but they are now bubbling again.

Surely if Lexus know there is an issue with them in the UK, they should still continue to replace FOC after warranty runs out, as they are knowingly supply/fitting parts they know have issues.

I think I will need to appraich my dealer/Lexus GB about this and see what response I get.

I was just wondering the same thing. My IS250 is over 3 years old now with 100k on the clock, so well out of warranty. I have had two sets under warranty, but they are now bubbling again.

Surely if Lexus know there is an issue with them in the UK, they should still continue to replace FOC after warranty runs out, as they are knowingly supply/fitting parts they know have issues.

I think I will need to appraich my dealer/Lexus GB about this and see what response I get.

keep us posted on that one darren, i have a vague recollection of an article in auto express,i guy with a 1st gen IS had new wheels fitted by the dealer even though his car was four years old.perhaps somebody with some spare time may search this.

good warranty though.

The head honcho at the Lexus dealer I use rang me a week or so ago on another matter, but we got talking about alloys.

He says the corrosion problem is restricted to the UK and does not affect the States, Scandinavia, Asia & so on. Lexus Japan did not believe there was a problem until a container load of corroded wheels were sent to them to prove the point. Supposedly the wheels are are now subject to a more rigourous manufacturing policy and if I remember correctly there is more lacquer put on them.

He said he thinks that the problem occurs because we have a damp cold climate whereas other countries don't, e.g. Scandinavia is cold but is comparatively dry. He also thinks that it is possibly due to the grit & salt mix that is used on roads here rather than just salt. This possibly makes pinholes in the wheel lacquer which allows corrosion to occur.

But none of this answers the big question: Why do Lexus (still?) have a problem which other manufacturers don't seem to have :question:

exactly the same thing was said about the wheels on the mk 1 Is200

the problem was found to be the manufacturing process, in that Japan uses mostly recycled aluminum, or more so that Toyota suppliers use Recycled aluminum

good warranty though.

the problem was found to be the manufacturing process, in that Japan uses mostly recycled aluminum, or more so that Toyota suppliers use Recycled aluminum

If that's the case then some little man on the other side of the planet, with a liking for rice & raw fish, is taking the proverbial and doesn't think it worth the effort in rectifying the problem for another insignificant little island, once and for all

good warranty though.

If that's the case then some little man on the other side of the planet, with a liking for rice & raw fish, is taking the proverbial and doesn't think it worth the effort in rectifying the problem for another insignificant little island, once and for all

good warranty though.

in all fairness,my previous car (a vw golf)had all 4 alloys replaced at two years old, so not entirely a lex only problem.

Some other manufacturers do have this problem. I previously had a Mazda RX-8 and had the wheels replaced at 12 months old due to corrosion - it's a very common problem on those cars. I believe the wheel manufacturers are the ones losing out rather than Lexus/Mazda etc by having to provide FOC replacements.

Just noticed a bit of corrosion on the fronts of mine this week-end. The wife usually does the wheels! Only done 12K in 2 years and i thought Lexus had cured this one, so will have to call the dealer and see what they offer. The rears are fine.

Jim

I have been told by my Dealer that the wheel corrosion issue has now been resolved but ofcourse only time will tell.My near 3year Hoshis were fine but on picking up my new car in September noticed the new Hoshis were "chrome coloured" & are much easier to clean as the surface is indeed "shiny-smooth".

Indeed my 6-spoke 18" wheels on my IS 300 never corroded but my IS200 wheels were changed twice in 80000 miles/21 months back in 2002.

Tel

let's hope my latest set will be from the 'resolved' batch but I have my doubts seeing as it is in on Thursday of this week to have them replaced........

Also, anyone know where I stand on warranty with this set & how long warranty will be honoured on them seeing as I will be up to 60k on the car within 6 months........