Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Aircon Service / Regas

My IS200 is on 50K and Lexus have recommended a regas / sanitisation of the system for £135. The aircon is a bit smelly but I know this can be cured with a tin of the old Carplan spray for a fiver.

Do I really need to get this done, what will be the benefit of the regas? And is this a good price or should I be looking elsewhere to get it done? I would rather avoid the usual outfits (Kwik Fit et al).

Works fine, it's not as cold as it used to be but then I've not had it regassed since I bought it 4 years ago. It is a little smelly but like I say I can cure that fairly easily.

In fact I think they've recommended a regas the past 3 years I've took it in. Maybe it's a moneyspinner for them.

They also recommended I have the engine 'desludged' to improve performance.. whatever that is!

They also recommended I have the engine 'desludged' to improve performance.. whatever that is!

Sounds like they want to put some engine flush in it. I wouldn't recommend it personally, as older engines need a bit of sludge to prevent oil leaking out of the engine. I've heard that engine flush can also damaged internal seals?

you normally lose 10 -15% of gas each year , we recommend recharge every 2 years which includes oil, uv dye & gas (you cant tell how much gas is in the system until its vacumed out and goes by weight 650 grams) hope this helps

we charge £60+vat

(you cant tell how much gas is in the system until its vacumed out and goes by weight 650 grams) hope this helps

we charge £60+vat

Errm... in the case of the IS, this is not absolutely accurate though it is the most straight forward method. The IS was fitted with a sight glass and on a reasonably warm day can be charged/ checked by use of this sightglass... Similarly because the is uses a fixed displacement compressor it can also be charged/ checked by use of the high and low pressure gauges in conjunction with a thermometer. In the case of more modern cars, then charging by weight is the only way to charge a cars aircon system

It is well worthwhile to have your aircon checked out every 2 to three years as the refrigerant carries the lubricant and lubricates the compressor rather like a two stroke engine.. Reduced refrigerant means reduced lubrication which could equate to an expensive repair.

Just to remind all you guys to wash all that nasty Winter road salt from your aircon condenser with lots of clean water to prevent corrosion

£60 to £70 is the right price for a decent quality job.

I was told the same thing, aircon service every 2 years. Surely every 2 years cannot be right? My old Ford Focus never needed the aircon recharging once in the 5 years I had it. Sounds like Lexus overkill to me.

The last time I let Lexus do anything with the aircon was a sanitisation - for which I was charged 30 + Vat for running a tin of £5 carplan aircon spray through the system. I was fuming when I found out I could have done it myself.

The point is that you have no idea how much is in your system or if your system has developed a small leak. How much you use it also affects the leakage rate and since the seals and joints on car aircon systems are about as poor and pathetic as you can find, then it is worth while to keep an eye on your refrigerant. I suspect that Ford will quote about two year intervals for the Focus also.

I check the ac on my van, lex and Jeep every two years.... Mainly because I am bored and in four years of owning both the Van and Lex then neither of them have lost a tap of refrigerant, the old Jeep on the other hand loses half of it's charge which to a refrigeration engineer is excessive and will be sorted with a new evaporator later in the Spring.

To lose 10 to 15% is excessive but to the motor industry it is regarded as the norm and therefore acceptable.. The quality of car air conditioners is absolutely abysmal but Lexus/ Toyota is about as good as you get