Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hid Lamps On My Is250

Dear All,

Im very very new to this forum (infact, I just registered 5mins ago), and I was just wondering if I could have a bit of help...

I have a Lexus IS250 SE, and it has standard Halogen lamps on it. I was wondering if I could get HID lamps fitted to the car.

I've had a look around on the internet, and im getting quite confused, because some websites are talking about HID conversion kits, and some websites are selling 12V 55W H11 HID lamps like this: http://www.hids4u.co.uk/home.php?cat=50

Can I not just plug these lamps into the existing set up? I don't want to spend a lot of money on it, I just want the "whitish blueish" look of HID/Xenon lamps (im not bothered about the light intensity or distance).

Thanks,

Sunny.

i would rather buy a hid kit. they only cost £40-£50 on ebay mate.

Ok okay cool,

but just so I can understand how the whole thing works,

Can I just put that lamp (the one I gave a link to earlier) straight into the halogen socket without any modifications?

And what advantages does a HID kit have over just putting the bulb into the halogen socket?

Be careful with this as I have been asking for the same advice and when you look closely at the details of these kits they are for the earlier IS models (Pre 2006).

So far no one on this site has been able to tell me if you can get HID upgrades for the new shape model.

Be careful with this as I have been asking for the same advice and when you look closely at the details of these kits they are for the earlier IS models (Pre 2006).

So far no one on this site has been able to tell me if you can get HID upgrades for the new shape model.

I'm not going for the kit anyway, because I rang up Lexus dealer and they told me that in order to legally have a HID kit, an auto-levelling system will need to be fitted, and (for some reason) headlamp washers.

With the normal plug and play HID lamps (the mimick ones), will they look as whitish-bluish as an OEM setup? Also what temperature will they go upto? is there any chance of it burning the light unit??

Thanks for all the help guys!! :D

Sunny

Dear All,

Im very very new to this forum (infact, I just registered 5mins ago), and I was just wondering if I could have a bit of help...

I have a Lexus IS250 SE, and it has standard Halogen lamps on it. I was wondering if I could get HID lamps fitted to the car.

I've had a look around on the internet, and im getting quite confused, because some websites are talking about HID conversion kits, and some websites are selling 12V 55W H11 HID lamps like this: http://www.hids4u.co.uk/home.php?cat=50

Can I not just plug these lamps into the existing set up? I don't want to spend a lot of money on it, I just want the "whitish blueish" look of HID/Xenon lamps (im not bothered about the light intensity or distance).

Thanks,

Sunny.

[/quote

if your car has halogen h11 bulbs you cant put any other type of bulb in, you will need to change to a h11 hid conversion kit as on www.hids4u.co.uk or check out ebay :)

I'm not going for the kit anyway, because I rang up Lexus dealer and they told me that in order to legally have a HID kit, an auto-levelling system will need to be fitted, and (for some reason) headlamp washers.

With the normal plug and play HID lamps (the mimick ones), will they look as whitish-bluish as an OEM setup? Also what temperature will they go upto? is there any chance of it burning the light unit??

Thanks for all the help guys!!

Sunny

no they wont burn your lamps

if your car has halogen h11 bulbs you cant put any other type of bulb in, you will need to change to a h11 hid conversion kit as on www.hids4u.co.uk or check out ebay :)

Oh okay, I've found this bulb someone at Halfords can order in for me...

http://www.streetandcircuit-shop.biz/ultra...11p-47368-p.asp

It seems to be exactly what im after! a halogen bulb (you can even see the filament if you enlarge the picture!) with a blueish light, so it looks like an Xenon.

That should be okay with the current setup, shouldn't it?

Again, guys, thank you for your help! :D

• 3 weeks later...

Those do actually look very good, the projector headlamps mean you get a nice clean cut off too. Would be interesting to see those alongside a set of proper HIDs to see what the difference is (although they are pretty expensive bulbs)

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Hi Lexus owners i am thinking of getting HID lights fitting in my IS250 but i have heard they are not allowed on the road in the U.K. Is this true.

Someone please reply as I don’t know much on this topic.

well this is true but how is anyone going to know????i have hid's fitted as do many of the is200 owners and no one has had any greef(i've had mine fitted for just over a year).as long as you get them alighned right you should be ok.just buy them fit them and be amazed at the light output i was so amazed i've got a set in my full beam too.i would recomend them to anyone.

Hi there if i was to take my IS250 for service or MOT at a Lexus garage will they say any think about the HID kit. For example will it still pass MOT.

And once i have fitted the HID kit i will need to get the lights alignment done. Can this be done by Lexus or should i just go to a different garage.

Lexus owners plz help

• 10 months later...

Hi there if i was to take my IS250 for service or MOT at a Lexus garage will they say any think about the HID kit. For example will it still pass MOT.

And once i have fitted the HID kit i will need to get the lights alignment done. Can this be done by Lexus or should i just go to a different garage.

Lexus owners plz help

If you are concerned about the MOT, keep the original bulbs and pop them back in for the MOT. I have hids in my GS, and not had any bother. Infact, the tester did give a little gripe about my side lights as I had changed them to LED's because they match the hid colour better. It still passed though.