Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Keeping The Back End In...

At the title suggests really, im using Dunlop SP9000 tyres and even though its now getting to some warmer weather its still sliding all over the place. The geometry has been altered to tony's specs, he saw the results and said it was a good job, its on -40mm springs, cusco anti roll bars and yet it still seems to oversteer like hell.

I do hit corners quite hard but it can just suddenly snatch out without warning.

How are other people's experiences...?

im running something similar to you (-35mm springs, c-one arbs, sp9000s and Wim'd) and don't find this a problem, but i am mostly driving in london. You must be driving pretty damn hard to get the back out - only really happens to me when i'm driving like an idot (not that i'm saying you are! lol) or on purpose -but i dont tend to do corners with the engine over 3.5k rpm so it wouldn't anyway I reckon.

How old are your tyres?

i love a bit of sideways action, although your uprated anti roll bars might cause it to slide more???

maybe just need to get it set up differently, im running d2 fully adjustable shocks, lowered onto the arches and i can chuck it around round abouts at 60, just on ****ty budget tyres aswell. but ive had it set up soe the camber is in, wears the insides out quickly but grips so well. and can still get the arse end out when i want too :P

Wider wheels and tyres will put an end to any oversteer ..... I have 8" rims and "had" 245's on the rear and found it nearly impossible to get the tail out, even when i was trying ...

I have since fitted 225's and the fun factor is back, it's amazing how much of a difference 20mm in width can make ..

my car started sliding out abit. its prob due to my tyres. i think one of the rear tyres has 2mm left and the other is siting at 5mm had to get a new one due a nail in one of my tyres.

it really depends on the condition of the roads but i have to say i used to go at the the same speed round bends and round abouts and it use to be fine. i think its just the tyres

it really depends on the condition of the roads but i have to say i used to go at the the same speed round bends and round abouts and it use to be fine. i think its just the tyres

Definately the tyres if thats the case

Tony: gallery_320_510_21859.jpg

Thats the results i was left with.

The tyres are only 215, which im now going to be upgrading to 225 to see if that makes a bit of difference. sometimes it's been even in slow conditions with just a little bit of acceleration out of a roundabout and it starts to give - drain covers make the car go nuts and i find myself just generally having to be more careful.

Its better with the ARB's on then it used to be, im running 35psi as i have been told is the recommended pressure. It seems like the back end of the car is too light - if i have passengers in the rear of the car it feels so much more planted and less inclined to step out. Other than adding more subs to the boot is there anyway of keeping the back end down?

Im used to hitting corners and roundabouts fast, my old pug 406 sri turbo was on KW variants and team dynamics monza r's at 18 x 8 and i could honesty throw that thing so much harder and faster into a corner without any drama, it just surprises me how little grip the rear end of this car really has, and corners are my thing seeing as the is200 has nowhere near enough power to make straight roads any fun!

Im going to give the tyres a change and see what happens then... If that fails - might consider a different car!