Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Washing The Engine Bay

Hi All,

I fancy washing the engine bay as I have never done it since I have owned the car and it could do with a good clean.

I was planning just to hose it down and use a bit of car shampoo and let it dry itself.

However is there any risk to the engine parts? (I still want my car to start) Do I need to cover any parts before I tackle the job, will this have any negative effect on the engine.

Thanks

Jay

Dont you have a bonnet mate :whistling:

Lol :lol:

Yeah but in heavy rain surely a fair amount of water must come through the grille?

not really mate as most of the electronic stuff is at the top right hand side

It's fine to use a hose or even a pressure washer in your engine bay if you want to, you just need to protect the electrics and anything else you don't want getting wet (e.g. induction kit air filter).

I would never ever use pressure washer in my engine bay, there are to many electrical connections that can and would get wet :o you are better using Gunk or some other engine cleaner, put on with small brush, then rinse with water and cloth/ sponge :winky: thats the way ive always do mine with not problems (yet)

Pressure washers can push grit and dirt into gaps that they wouldn't usually go in, more harm than good really. As asi said, take your time and do a good job, it's one of those things that your only really going to do annually

Whenever you use a pressure washer, you need to use common sense. I would never use my pressure washer on its maximum settings and finest jet anywhere near my car, because it would probably strip paint and/or cause other damage. Similarly, I don't think it would be a good idea to use a pressure washer at maximum settings in the engine bay. But pressure washers do typically have adjustable settings, you know :winky:

My washers setting options are on/off lol i'm pretty sure it's the height of technology :)

Lol. Actually my washer only has an on/off on the body too. But how about the nozzle/gun, on mine you can alter the width of the spray (which has a major affect at how strong the jet is) as well as also moving it between higher and lower pressure modes (via a different part of the nozzle).