Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Vehicle Inspections, Yay Or Nay?

King85

I'm looking for a lexus is200 and i've been considering having an ispection done by aa,rac,dekra or the like but what are peoples views on these? Any one used one?

Is it really worth the £120+ or am I better off saving the money and just using common sense?

Unfortunately I don't have any mechanic friends so asking someone to come with me isn't going to happen.

I'm looking for a lexus is200 and i've been considering having an ispection done by aa,rac,dekra or the like but what are peoples views on these? Any one used one?

Is it really worth the £120+ or am I better off saving the money and just using common sense?

Unfortunately I don't have any mechanic friends so asking someone to come with me isn't going to happen.

Used one on the 911 (now sold) a few years ago, well worth it. But 911's are not exactly cheap cars when (not if) they go wrong which they do surprisingly often.

Cant you get it cheeper if you become a member of the AA, RAC etc

Then you would also have the benifit of breakdown cover.

Think it would be a good idea if you dont have a mechanic mate !!!

you could ask if you could take the car to lexus for a vsr (vehicle safety report)in most dealers thats free and you will get people who know what they are looking for.

you could ask if you could take the car to lexus for a vsr (vehicle safety report)in most dealers thats free and you will get people who know what they are looking for.

I like the sound of this ormi but how can I convince a private seller to let me do this?

hi matey me and aztec will come and have a look with you if its local mate

send me a pm and i will give you my number

all the best neil

I like the sound of this ormi but how can I convince a private seller to let me do this?

he goes with you and if he has got something to hide he will prob refuse!if i was selling mine i would take it to any garage the buyer wanted to go too!!with the buyer.

Bit of a noob question, What does the VSR consist of? I mean is it quite thorough?

Bit of a noob question, What does the VSR consist of? I mean is it quite thorough?

very thorough matey!check the whole of the car matey its a mini mot what i mean by mini is the only thing we dont do on a vsr is the emmisions and a roller brake test!but everything else is thoroughly checked!

Thats a good idea I didn't know they did that!!

same here mate didnt have a idea that they ever did that. learn something new everyday.

do all dealers of all most make of cars do that? just want to know just incase i buy my next car.

Thanks for that iceman ive sent you a pm. That sort of offer is another testement to a club I was already very impressed with!

As for the VSR do you think they would do it on a saturday as the guy who's car i'm going to look at works all week?

Take it to Lexus.

I had my car for about 2 days and took it to Lexus for a check, after the horse has bolted and all that. Lexus wanted to do the rear calliper recall work anyway. During the work they checked the car over and recorded onto a sheet of paper all areas of the car. Everything was checked, and I mean everything, mechanicals, dampers, windscreen wipers, and was ticked off as ok. Well, apart from minor scuffs to the rear bumper which they said they could do for me, hardly noticeable but Lexus noticed! They even wrote down the make and depth of tread of the tyres, so yes they do a through check!

All part of the Lexus service!

Thanks for that iceman ive sent you a pm. That sort of offer is another testement to a club I was already very impressed with!

As for the VSR do you think they would do it on a saturday as the guy who's car i'm going to look at works all week?

ye they would do it on a sat.dude!

ye they would do it on a sat.dude!

I called lexus and unfortunately they don't do it on a sat at the one near me anymore and the car I was going to look at was sold aswell, there are none that fit what i'm looking for within 60 miles of me on autotrader, eBay etc anymore :'( I just want my new car.

I called lexus and unfortunately they don't do it on a sat at the one near me anymore and the car I was going to look at was sold aswell, there are none that fit what i'm looking for within 60 miles of me on autotrader, ebay etc anymore :'( I just want my new car.

Don't worry mate, just bide your time and you'll probably find that an even better car will crop up soon :winky:

www.mytextcheck.com only costs £3 and brings back to deatils if its stolen...

its normally about £30 for the rac 1 i thought? you only need to do the 1 and not all of them???

The text check and the RAC hpi check doesnt cover the condition of the car which I think is what he is after. The RAC -HPI check is £9.99 btw and well worth it.

I have used AA and Defra - they basically are now contracted to do it through the AA but personally probably wouldn't use them again. - The report is fairly basic and doesn't cover areas such as the bodywork condition -which to me was important since both times I used it , I had not seen the cars since they were miles away.

They make bland cover all statements such as ' the bodywork is commensurate with the age of the car' etc etc.

Saying all that it was probably worth it for the mechanical aspect-but dont forget that it might put you off the car since they are looking for faults.. The good thing is if they find any you can use them as bargaining tool and get the cost knocked off the price - and get the cost of the inspection back. - This sounds good but first time I did it though they found too many faults so I never bought the car !