Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Gear Box/diff Oil

ALI_1

I just serviced the car (is200 sport) and the only things i have not changed are the diff/gearbox oil i know this is prob a dumb question but do thay realy need changing and can anyone recommend one. Never changed them on any of the cars i have owned in the past and never had any problems

• 3 weeks later...
For the gearbox you will need a GL4 75w-90 such as the redline MT90 and Amsoil MTG here http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-673-75w-90.aspx

For teh diff you will need a GL5 75w-90 such as the Silkolene Syn5 75w-90 you can find throught the link above.

Cheers

Guy

I have the same combo as above ready to do the change.

According to the guideline information Lexus gave to me you need to change the gearbox oil every two years. Yet there is no mention of the diff oil.

Diff oils dont really need chaning very often unless tehy are being worked hard. They probably coonsider it a fill for life unit if it does not state other wise.

Cheers

Guy

Diff oils dont really need chaning very often unless tehy are being worked hard. They probably coonsider it a fill for life unit if it does not state other wise.

Cheers

Guy

The diff oil is listed in the service schedule of my IS200 to be replaced every 20k or 2 years. I did my first change last year at 23k and there was a fair bit of swarf sticking to the magnetic plug.. I changed all of the fluids this week end again at 30k and the swarf was much reduced.

I cant see where transmission oil is scheduled to be changed but I did that anyway.... Both jobs are pretty straight forward but getting the fluids back into the diff and transmission can be fun if your fluid bottles don't come with a spout or in my case you buy 5 litre bottles :whistling: