Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Key Snapped

My flipping key case just disintegrated today when I tried to start the car. The blade stuck in the barrel and the case came away, with the screw and a piece of plastic still connected to it. It's like the key case just snapped.

I don't know if something might have weakened the key, or maybe the barrel stuck a bit, not sure really, but it caused me some hassle getting home from WIM, having to start the car with the blade and some plairs. But if course the fob still has to be near the ignition for the transponder to work!

Anyway I'll be ordering a new key case off eBay, but I was wondering, is this a common problem?

Right so it's not unheard of! Is that part of the reason why Lexus give you a small toolkit in the boot - those pliars came in handy I can tell you! Would have been really stuck without those.

There does seem to be two different types of key case. My original set of keys has a gold logo painted onto the back. The second key case I bought off eBay was a geniune Denso part, and has a gold piece of metal embedded for the Lexus logo. The Denso part looks higher quality, but it's this one that snapped on me.

One of my keys started to come apart as I turned it in the barrel.....fortunately I snapped it back together, but I think it was caused by me dropping the key onto a hard surface and a small lug inside the key snapping off.

However, I've never opened a key and was thinking about getting a spare key case from eBay......Question, can the original blade just slot into the new case (along with the electric parts)?

Keith

One of my keys started to come apart as I turned it in the barrel.....fortunately I snapped it back together, but I think it was caused by me dropping the key onto a hard surface and a small lug inside the key snapping off.

However, I've never opened a key and was thinking about getting a spare key case from Ebay......Question, can the original blade just slot into the new case (along with the electric parts)?

Keith

no im afraid the blade is fitted in permanently and u get case with blank blade in, easy too get cut though and ure transponder just pops right in,

no im afraid the blade is fitted in permanently and u get case with blank blade in, easy too get cut though and ure transponder just pops right in,

That's not right is it, the blade is removeable, it is screwed into the key case with a small black screw. When I get my new key case off eBay, I plan to just fit my exisitng transponder and blade.

That's not right is it, the blade is removeable, it is screwed into the key case with a small black screw. When I get my new key case off eBay, I plan to just fit my exisitng transponder and blade.

Yes it is corrrect. You cannot remove the blade.

Ah that's right - I remember now! When I got my key case off eBay it came with the blade and I had to get it cut. So I will have to do this again. What a pain.

I might have a look and see if there's anything I can do to strengthen it as well.

Hi, my wifes key disintegrated and I have bought a spare from eBay, but have taken this to three local locksmiths/key cutting establishments and they have all said they are unable to cut the blank - it needs to be done by someone with a laser key cutter. I contacted my nearest Lexus dealership ( 40 miles away ) and they said that they can only do it if the key is bought with them which includes the transponder costing £90 and a further half hour labour for programming the key - total of approx £150.

I have now resorted to finding a firm that uses a laser key cutter, which is in North Yorkshire, but he will not cut the blank I have but will supply a blank key with three button casing cut for £29.00 plus delivery costs. Obviously I'll have to send my broken key to him first, but once he receives it he will cut it and then phone so that I can pay by credit/debit card.

I would not bother buying a blank off eBay as no-one will cut it for you.