Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Led Flashing Brake Lights

bought a set of flashing brake light bulbs(led)found the post on fitting them but the post shows two risistors per light(brake and side light)

the kit i'm getting only has one load risistor per light is this ok and if so what wire will i crimp the load risistor too brake light or side light feed? :duh:

cheers

ormi

bought a set of flashing brake light bulbs(led)found the post on fitting them but the post shows two risistors per light(brake and side light)

the kit i'm getting only has one load risistor per light is this ok and if so what wire will i crimp the load risistor too brake light or side light feed? :duh:

cheers

ormi

The question is why rather how? Flashing brake lights have been easy technically for over 50 years, but are not allowed in most jurisdictions and are supposed to be removed from imports to the UK. If they are fitted in addition to existing mandatory brake lights which tell following drivers the brakes are being applied, you will probably get away with it, but if only both sides flash together. LED brake lights should be type-approved for the vehicle, but nobody is going to notice those because they look much the same. So what is the enthusiasm for mods which just draw the attention of those in cars with a blue flashing lights on the roofs?

i dont know the circuit diagram but generally you should have one resistor per LED, reason for this is that if one LED is not manufatured exactly the same as the other it will pull a more/less power against the other LED, thus leading to inconsistant power to LEDs, underpowering is ok (might just look little more dim but overpowering will decrease or blow the LED). Btw i've never seen flashing brake lights, could you put a post up when you've finished? :)

HTH

Flashing brake lights are fitting as OEM equipment on a few cars, e.g. Mercedes, I don't think there's anything illegal about it.

There would seem to be. Road Traffic Act 1989 and not yet updated states that brake lights must show a STEADY red lights while the brakes are operated and go off when not. The current MOT test requirements specifically ask the tester to check this is so as well as condition, no flickering when tapped etc. The law hasn't really caught up with LEDs yet so their use is a bit vague but is probably OK if they are E marked.

So it seems flashing brake lights mean MOT failure or a fine for using them just the same as red illuminated windscreen washer jets or blue lights anywhere on the outside of the car.

Road Traffic Act 1989 and not yet updated states that brake lights must show a STEADY red lights while the brakes are operated and go off when not. The current MOT test requirements specifically ask the tester to check this is so as well as condition, no flickering when tapped etc. The law hasn't really caught up with LEDs yet so their use is a bit vague but is probably OK if they are E marked.

So it seems flashing brake lights mean MOT failure or a fine for using them just the same as red illuminated windscreen washer jets or blue lights anywhere on the outside of the car.

So how does Mercedes get away with fitting it as OEM equipment ?

I think that EC law on this actually overrides UK law, i.e. I think it's probably allowed under EC type approvals which means it's ok to use in the UK too.

They'd be fine in an MOT test, because they only flash under medium heavy braking, so when applied when stationary, they come on constantly.

I think the reason why this sort of thing is fine is because they are only activated under heavy braking, and they only flash for around 2 seconds I think and then turn to a constant light.

They're pretty cool I think, I just didn't hang on to mine because in my view there wasn't enough of a difference between sidelights and brake lights so having been rear ended before didn't want to take any chances.

They dont flash all the time though, just for the first second or so, then they are solid with no flickering when tapped or anything so in theory would still pass the MOT.

i've had police behind me before with my flashing brake lights and no problems.

at the end of the day, they work as they're meant to, so i can see an argument.

Stav

one..... i'm a mot tester and they are not a fail as you dont brake hard enough on the rolling road to make them flash!!!!!!!!

two......my wifes a traffic cop their 535 and c class mercs and their new audi all come with rear impact provention ie flashing brake lights!!!!!!