Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Does Your Photocard For The Driv License Expire After 10 Or 4 Years?

japthree

In the paper recently there was an article about people being caught out / forgetting that the photocard part of the driving license expires after 10 years and the fact you have to renew it! Having a discussion at work; a team mate checked his and it was for 4 years and not 10 - how is this possible? Surely all photocards are the same time???

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Drive...cence/DG_078070

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Drive...nsing/DG_068315

In the paper recently there was an article about people being caught out / forgetting that the photocard part of the driving license expires after 10 years and the fact you have to renew it! Having a discussion at work; a team mate checked his and it was for 4 years and not 10 - how is this possible? Surely all photocards are the same time???

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Drive...cence/DG_078070

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Drive...nsing/DG_068315

maybe change of address so there would be 4years out of the 10 years left on the new licence untill renewal

It's 10 years, but if you get a replacement (e.g. change of address as above) then it looks as though it's shorter - if you look at mine now it looks like it only lasts a year........

There was a thread about this a while back, when people first applied for the photocard and yes alot of people got caught out as there are no reminders through the door. Sneeky one there by the goverment. The money from all those poor people have now gone to bankers who will get another chance to spank it all for themselves. Hooray!

btw i applied for the card type in 07 (after having the paper one until it fell to bits in my hand lol) and it's valid for 10 Yrs.

Slightly off topic, so if you get points where does that get printed on the card?

There was a thread about this a while back, when people first applied for the photocard and yes alot of people got caught out as there are no reminders through the door. Sneeky one there by the goverment. The money from all those poor people have now gone to bankers who will get another chance to spank it all for themselves. Hooray!

btw i applied for the card type in 07 (after having the paper one until it fell to bits in my hand lol) and it's valid for 10 Yrs.

Slightly off topic, so if you get points where does that get printed on the card?

It gets printed on the counterpart (Piece of paper), You need that when you produce your license at a police station they will not accept it without it.

i've got 5 days 2 months and a year before mine needs an update, and also i've noticed that it started on 01/08/01 and expires 06/06/2010 which means im not getting a full 10 years from my licence? how does that work???

one other thing section 11 on the back of the card my dates go upto 04/05/2053? this is a day before my 70th birthday (only 44 years to go) is this a plan to stop people over 70 years old from driving???

can someone explain this for me please.

The bit on the back refers to the date by which you have to have had a letter from your doctor saying that you are still fit to drive. The date that the photocard expires on is the day before your birthday on the 10th year that you have held the photocard.

The bit on the back refers to the date by which you have to have had a letter from your doctor saying that you are still fit to drive. The date that the photocard expires on is the day before your birthday on the 10th year that you have held the photocard.

ok i understand the doctors note bit from the back, but i am confused by what you have said about the date that the photocard expires on is the day before your birthday on the 10th year that you have held the photocard, as my birthday is 5th of May, my licence was issued on 01/08/2001 and expires 06/06/2010. so surely if it was a 10 year licence shouldn't mine be valid till 01/08/2011, are they conning me out of 14 months worth usage?

Showing my age here but in the 70's a full UK licence ( paper) cost £5.00 and this was valid until you were 70 then they introduced the photocard ones and lo and behold it only lasted 10 years!!! Another Government scam.

I called in at the DVLA office last week and apparently you now have the choice of just a driving licence or a combined licence and ID card but not sure if this allows travel without a passport within the EU.

• 2 weeks later...

They're supposed to send a reminder through 2 months before it expires.

The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) will send you a renewal application pack two months before your photo is due to expire. You’ll need to:
  • complete the enclosed form
  • include a new passport type photo of yourself that’s been taken within the last month (you don’t need the back of the photo signed)
  • return both parts of your driving licence (photocard and counterpart document)
  • enclose a cheque or postal order for £20.00 (no fee is needed if you have a medical short period licence or you’re aged 70 or over)
  • send your completed application and fee to DVLA, Swansea SA99 1DH

If you have changed your name, you’ll also need to provide identity documents as proof.

The 10 years doesn't expire on your birthday (mine's in November and the card expires in August).

One other thing section 11 on the back of the card my dates go upto 04/05/2053? this is a day before my 70th birthday (only 44 years to go) is this a plan to stop people over 70 years old from driving???

can someone explain this for me please.

This has been the case for a long time. You're licensed up to your 70th birthday, but you can then renew the licence (for free). Info here.

• 1 month later...

The 10 years applies to the photo, you need a new photo after 10 years (cos apparently you get older n stuff). Thats why when you change your address or get another Cat added on, the date of expiry stays the same and it looks like you only have a few years left.

Iain

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links