Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Brakes Broke

steve2006

It was DIY service time yesterday, oil and filters then brake service and fluid change.

Everything went fine until the last front os caliper whereupon the bottom caliper slide pin was seized into the bracket.

After lots of turning and WD40 and a make shift slide hammer I managed to get it out and it was corroded.

Being a Saturday afternoon I cleaned it up the best I could with a Dremell then regreased and refitted minus the rubber seal which was damaged in the extraction process.

Luckily no other damage had occured.

Can you get replacement slide pins and the rubber seal from Lexus as separate items?

Cheers,

Steve

Hi Simon,

Thankyou very much.

The link you gave was for the 4 pot caliper but a bit of searching on the site came up with the correct one for mine so I have got the Part #'s.

http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_J_1994_TOYO...AEPGK_4705.html

Cheers,

Steve

Hi,

Well Monday morning I contacted Lexus Derby re the parts I need i.e caliper sliding pin, caliper bush ( fits over the pin) and the dust cover/seal.

They only do a kit at over £50.00 even though I provided the part #s.

If anyone has a scrap caliper and these parts are ok would they please let me know.

The exploded diagram is on the link in the previous post parts labelled as 47715A/ 47769 and the dust cover between the two are needed.

Thanks,

Steve.

Not entirely sure but had I not removed mine I would have had problems with the seized up caliper the only thing I'm not sure about is whether they have to be greased,with which grease if any.

Some of my pins are plain chrome steel and some have a black plastic insert near the bottom of the pin from what I can gather these do not require greasing.

Does anyone have a caliper sliding pin rubber boot/dust seal going spare?

Lexus want £48.00 and Toyota £45.00 for the complete caliper seal kit and will not sell just the boot.

I don't mind buying the complete caliper bracket with them on or if anyone has just the boot even better.

Thanks,

Steve

are we talking the about the rod? which can be found on the back?

i got a rear brake fitting kit spare, as its got a missing part, not sure whether its the same

Hi,

Yes the dust covers are the same front and rear, it's the black rubber concertina thingy about an inch long that fits between the caliper holder and the caliper pin, one end should have a metal washer/collar the other end is just plain rubber.

If you have one it would be greatly apprieciated.

The link below shows the brake components and if you look at the lower right diagram labelled 04479, on the left is the part I need and if you look at the diagram above it shows the same parts

http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_J_1994_TOYO...AEPGK_4705.html

Many thanks,

Steve

Good news the caliper is now repaired!

Using a company called BiggRed I managed to purchase a new rubber boot for £6.85 including delivery and VAT as opposed to Lexus wanting £48.00 + VAT for a service kit when I only needed one part from it. ( They also respray calipers in various finishes and colours for the Altezza members :whistling: ).

The caliper pin was genuine Toyota at £10.01 inc VAT ( no they didn't knock the penny off!).

Anyway all fitted and all working for around £17.00.

Just to show the damage to the old pin have a look below, the damage to the old pin bolt head occured during the forced extraction.

Also now have the new plate on the car!

post-12144-1239128967.jpg

post-12144-1239129798.jpg

• 2 months later...

Damn

I bought the caliper kit for mine not long back because one of the front pins had siezed

O well, cant moan, i still haven't fitted them as more troubles have surfaced since and i have again let the small job list expand into something big & scary and very time consuming.......if i'd just done it when i meant to......

I have since developed a fault in the brake piping (long 6ft pipe between both rear wheels)

It just started leaking one day after putting her in sports mode for the country lanes (sits better on tight corners you see), and put foot on brake and i felt pressure go and the pedal felt like the old worn out drum brakes where you have to put your foot thro floor to slow down.

Looked under & all fluid was running out all over one of my cats and exhaust gasket - how typical is that?

So i cant do the calipers until i fix this as all the fluid keeps leaking.....

then it failed an MOT on obviously the brakes, then the upper control arm and emissions! (how much??????!!!!!!)

With the police having auto-reg cams nowadays its impossible to just nip the car here & there to get work done to it bit by bit, and you can see the glint in mechanics eyes when you start telling them all these time consuming or expensive jobs need doing all together.....

Thats why i need to do it myself

Long live LOC

Nice one lads

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links