Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Safety Shift Lock Switch In Auto

It's there in case you need to shift the selector for whatever reason with the ignition off and not pressing the brake pedal - e.g. if you need to shift into neutral to tow the car, or I've used to move the stick when taking the stereo out and also while cleaning :)

Isn't that the same though, you shouldn't push it either, e.g. push-starting an auto ?

Oh yeah didn't mean that, you physically can't push start an auto like you can a manual.........

But if you broke down and had to push it off the road, then you'd need to have it in neutral :)

hmm I've heard this before that u shouldnt ever tow an auto but even if its in neutral???

never even if in neutral!!quick talk......... no enginge runnin no oil pressure in gear box ,even in neutral the inside of the box still rotates when towing!!ie you run it with no oil!=======big repair bill!! :crybaby:

never even if in neutral!!quick talk......... no enginge runnin no oil pressure in gear box ,even in neutral the inside of the box still rotates when towing!!ie you run it with no oil!=======big repair bill!! :crybaby:

Should be ok if you raise the rear wheels off the ground and just tow it with the front wheels turning, as SINGH182 said, surely ? But this is risky obviously and means you have to make sure you know which are the driven wheels ! (Mr breakdown recovery man might make a guess and get it wrong !)