Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ipod To Pc Transfer

I've got a friend who I am trying to help out with an iPod (shuffle). It has previously been sync'd from another computer. When it is now connected to a new computer, iTunes complains about the fact it was sync'd on another computer and gives only the choice to delete the stuff on it and sync, or just to leave it as is.

I don't think iTunes can do an iPod to PC transfer.

I think that my only option is to use another utility. I was thinking of WinAmp, since I've used that before, and using that to copy the music from the iPod to the new PC, then getting iTunes to see that music and then iTunes should be able to sync the music from the new PC.

I could obviously start again from scratch and just rip the CDs to the new computer and sync from there. But I think the above should be quicker.

Is that about right ? Or am I missing something simple to solve this ?

Nope that's right.

Use winamp or several other programs to grab the tunes and then load them back into itunes.

(or ditch itunes altogether and use winamp for everything including managing the ipod)

Nope that's right.

Use winamp or several other programs to grab the tunes and then load them back into itunes.

(or ditch itunes altogether and use winamp for everything including managing the ipod)

Thanks. Yeah if it was up to me, I wouldbe using Winamp, I hate iTunes ! Much prefer Winamp. But it's not my laptop ! :lol:

Are you using iTunes 8? That seems to have a new feature where if it detects a lot of music on the iPod that is not on the computer, it offers to upload to the computer.

Using the latest already, whatever that is. Actually there's not a huge amount of music on the iPod(s) involved, so maybe it doesn't notice enough on there ? Just it will perhaps be more hassle to hunt around for the original CDs etc to rip them again.

Is Winamp the best way to go then? I've just got an iPod to use exclusively in the car, but still tend to use my phone as my portable music player. This rules iTunes out as it doesn't seem to be able to sync with anything other than an iPod/iPhone..........

Two other questions:

1. Is there anything that I won't be able to do with Winamp that I would with iTunes or any other alternatives?

2. Can I start using my brand new iPod with Winamp straight off, or do I need to start with iTunes and then move over to Winamp?

Thanks in advance guys :)

Is Winamp the best way to go then? I've just got an iPod to use exclusively in the car, but still tend to use my phone as my portable music player. This rules iTunes out as it doesn't seem to be able to sync with anything other than an iPod/iPhone..........

Two other questions:

1. Is there anything that I won't be able to do with Winamp that I would with iTunes or any other alternatives?

2. Can I start using my brand new iPod with Winamp straight off, or do I need to start with iTunes and then move over to Winamp?

Thanks in advance guys :)

1. You won't be able to access the apple Store with winamp - but you can do everything else (and some stuff itunes doesn't let you do)

2. Yes - you can use it straight off.

1. You won't be able to access the Apple Store with winamp - but you can do everything else (and some stuff itunes doesn't let you do)

2. Yes - you can use it straight off.

Cheers mate, don't care about the apple Store as long as everything else works fine it's great. Is album art as easy to deal with as iTunes and WMP?

Cheers for the tip, winamp works brilliantly (and makes you realise how useless iTunes is and wonder why people use it!)

Anyway, the only problem I'm having is with videos.........again iTunes doesn't allow to just add videos to the iPod without erasing everything and starting again with iTunes - I found on the internet that you can use iTunes to convert the videos to m4v and then add them. I've done this but can't see them in Winamp........

Is m4v not a supported format in Winamp? And is there a way I can add support?

I much prefer Winamp to iTunes. Winamp used to have an unsupported iPod facility a while back, but they took that and built it properly into the main programme, so that it's fully supported now. For my little problem it was a doddle, I installed Winamp, copied the stuff off the iPod, pointed iTunes at it and used iTunes to sync (not my choice to use iTunes on that PC !).