Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Possible Aftermarket Stereo Question

As the cd autochanger (in my 91' ls400) seems to be faulty, im considering replacing the whole stereo with an after market unit.... probably one of those fancy flip out screen jobs (ive already fitted a ps2 with headrest screens, and plan on fitting a tv tunner and reversing camera.... so a screen in the front would be useful) with GPS

Ive seen the kits on eBay.com, that include a dash kit and wire harness..... seems to make the whole proceedure very easy..... anybody used one?

my main question tho, if im reading the specs right (thats a big IF lol), the wire harness doesnt work with the subsoofer.... which seems odd..... i've only just replaced it, and kinda like having it working. If this is true, is it possible to wire in the sub woofer seperatly?

thanks in advance for any replies

I bought a Toyota>ISO adapter to test with a view to changing out my radio and when I tried it the subwoofer did not work. I suspect the subwoofer amplifier takes its feed from the OEM radio. I don't know which wire harness you were looking at so couldn't say that you would experience the same.

It would probably be easier to install a separate amplifier rather than try to figure out how convert the aftermarket radio signal to whatever the OEM sub amplifier needs to operate.

Thats my intention anyway.

I bought a Toyota>ISO adapter to test with a view to changing out my radio and when I tried it the subwoofer did not work. I suspect the subwoofer amplifier takes its feed from the OEM radio. I don't know which wire harness you were looking at so couldn't say that you would experience the same.

It would probably be easier to install a separate amplifier rather than try to figure out how convert the aftermarket radio signal to whatever the OEM sub amplifier needs to operate.

Thats my intention anyway.

yeah i was thinking a seperate amp may be the easiest option. I assume you didnt go with the third party option in the end?????

there are some big advantages to an aftermarket system..... but then i look at how well the factory fitted radio looks, and im not sure i want to change it lol.

thanks for your reply

I will be changing the radio, no real complaints with the factory radio, but I need a handsfree phone capability and would like MP3/ipod functionality so the most cost effective way forward is with an aftermarket unit.

I already have an amplified Infinity sub from my previous car so that is ready to go in when I change the radio.

• 2 weeks later...
As the cd autochanger (in my 91' ls400) seems to be faulty, im considering replacing the whole stereo with an after market unit.... probably one of those fancy flip out screen jobs (ive already fitted a ps2 with headrest screens, and plan on fitting a tv tunner and reversing camera.... so a screen in the front would be useful) with GPS

Ive seen the kits on ebay.com, that include a dash kit and wire harness..... seems to make the whole proceedure very easy..... anybody used one?

my main question tho, if im reading the specs right (thats a big IF lol), the wire harness doesnt work with the subsoofer.... which seems odd..... i've only just replaced it, and kinda like having it working. If this is true, is it possible to wire in the sub woofer seperatly?

I've changed the standard system with the eBay lcd 7inch sytem(double din) which has the freewiew option. it does work in the car. Great for watching match of the day or sky sports.

You will lose the rear sub woofer but the new system does comne with an option to run a sub woofer, you just have to run new wiring form the unit to the speaker for the rear sub to work. you can also get some new amp and run it that way.

Ive seen the kits on ebay.com, that include a dash kit and wire harness..... seems to make the whole proceedure very easy..... anybody used one?

I've changed the standard system with the eBay lcd 7inch sytem(double din) which has the freewiew option. it does work in the car. Great for watching match of the day or sky sports.

You will lose the rear sub woofer but the new system does comne with an option to run a sub woofer, you just have to run new wiring form the unit to the speaker for the rear sub to work. you can also get some new amp and run it that way.

goit any photos of the unit in place?

the idea of freeview in the front (as well as the headrests) is appealing.... and using it for a reversing camera too

• 2 weeks later...

the idea of freeview in the front (as well as the headrests) is appealing.... and using it for a reversing camera too

Send me your email as can't post pics on this site. Which is a pain for a owners club unlike most other car owners club which allows pics to be posted under manage attachements.

Send me your email as can't post pics on this site. Which is a pain for a owners club unlike most other car owners club which allows pics to be posted under manage attachements.

cheers baz....pm sent