Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Not sure if I should post in the IS or GS group...

My IS220d is due for a swop, not been overly impressed with the diesel, but I do like the IS as a car.

I am considering another Lexus, but am unsure which way to go. IS250 SEL auto, or GS300 SE?

I've driven a 250 auto and am impressed, but would I be better going for a GS300? I am going to test a GS 300 at some point.

It will be a second hand one possibly 07/08.

Anyone made the same switch and got and opinions?

Cheers

When the time comes to chop in my IS200, I think I will probably go for the mk3 GS300 in SE-L spec. Not keen on the IS220 or IS250.

Oh, welcome to LOC btw.

My IS220d is due for a swop, not been overly impressed with the diesel, but I do like the IS as a car.

I am considering another Lexus, but am unsure which way to go. IS250 SEL auto, or GS300 SE?

I've driven a 250 auto and am impressed, but would I be better going for a GS300? I am going to test a GS 300 at some point.

Cheers

Road tax on the GS 300, is off the chart compared to any I.S varient.

Cheers

Road tax on the GS 300, is off the chart compared to any I.S varient.

GO for a low milage, FSH MK3 2005 GS. This will save you £200 (ish) a year in tax, if your not bothered about an extra £200 a year go for a newer model.

When will you test drive a GS? I'm sure when you do you will answer the question of IS or GS yourself. A GS is a wonderful, smooth car and quite exclusive, I'm hooked anyway!

You could actually go up to a 22 March 2006 registration to stay at £200 ish road tax... for the moment anyway. Let's hope this whole VED fiasco is left to die a death. Guess how many CO2's for the new Focus RS. You've guessed it ...225. And the new VED regime ignores modifications, so a dealer could fit the "power chip" or whatever AFTER he's sold you the car.

Personal thing really.

If you have >20,000 to spend then I would go for the 450h. Reason?

Simple answer. It is fast, not too thirsty around town and very smooth, quiet and comfortable. Boot is small, mind well, but a good roof box takes care. But. It is big.

I think lots of people are right though. If you don't want to spend £££££ on purchase prices then GS300 SEL, 2005/05 as Approved car is very compelling. It is excellent and best car in that size and price.

Thanks for the replies. Budget will be about 17k , if I can spend less its a bonus!. I'm hoping if I until September prices will have dropped some more.

I like the 250 auto, but something tells me when I test a GS 300 I'm going to like that more B)

If road tax and fuel costs aren't a great issue I'd go for the GS, not quite as good looking as the IS but more room inside.

Prices are starting to go up on used cars due to demand from buyers not wanting to buy new and looking for good secondhand vehicles. Lots of dealerships are struggling for stock to fill their used car lot. My local Lexus dealer's lot is looking very threadbare at the moment.

Just traded up from a 99 IS200 to a Jan 2006 GS300SE-L. Road tax is not too different as it is before Mar 06.

14K cost with 49K on the clock. Superb car. I looked at the IS250 but it seemed too cramped at the back and there are too many around for my liking.

GS300 is more exclusive and classy. Gets all the heads turning on the road too as everyone wonders what the car is.

I was getting 26-28 mpg with the IS200. I am getting 24 to 26 now round the doors so not too bad for a 3 Litre.

Before I bought mine I has some people thinking that the SE-L was longer than the SE. This is not the case, they are same length (just in case that is what is putting you off the SE-L).

I would go for the GS300SE-L (Mark levinson sound system, moonroof, small spoiler and 18 inch alloys), just pre march 06 if possible to keep the tax down. :winky:

I think the IS250 is actually a better car, the whole finish is of a higher quality but the GS is a great car too. Do however think the GS430 is a monster buy, will probably cost around the same as the GS300 if you can find one but has more toys and is really quick.

I found that I didn't like the GS300 as much as the GS430, it wasn't just the power the car felt very different - therefore, my order would be GS430 - IS250 - GS300 :)

Just traded up from a 99 IS200 to a Jan 2006 GS300SE-L. Road tax is not too different as it is before Mar 06.

14K cost with 49K on the clock. Superb car. I looked at the IS250 but it seemed too cramped at the back and there are too many around for my liking.

GS300 is more exclusive and classy. Gets all the heads turning on the road too as everyone wonders what the car is.

I was getting 26-28 mpg with the IS200. I am getting 24 to 26 now round the doors so not too bad for a 3 Litre.

Before I bought mine I has some people thinking that the SE-L was longer than the SE. This is not the case, they are same length (just in case that is what is putting you off the SE-L).

I would go for the GS300SE-L (Mark levinson sound system, moonroof, small spoiler and 18 inch alloys), just pre march 06 if possible to keep the tax down. :winky:

I have to agree with all said above. I bought an 05 GS and it is a superb car. If you buy a GS be prepared to be looked at a lot, mainly by VW Passat owners for some reason........

Quiet, comfortable, exclusive and a joy to drive every time. I test drove a 2008 IS Sport but went for the older GS because of the rear seat space, boot size interior, etc etc. An IS is a great car but personally I had to buy the GS.

I bought the 05 MK3 new shape model over a say 07-08 model due to it having very low milage and ££££s cheaper. So go for 1 owner, FLSH and low milage over age and stick a cheap private plate on. These cars remain to look great even at 4 years old!

Thanks for all the responses. Looks like a GS300 is the way to go B)

Will let you know when I make the change

GS 430 or GS 450h

I recently traded my IS200 sport for a two 1/2 year old IS250 SEL auto mm, but today have a new GS450h on loan while Lexus Leicester fix some minor faults I found on the IS. The cheapest GS 450h was well above my budget and I decided against buying or even testing a GS 300 for a couple of reasons. The first was its size. I really did not fancy threading anything that size through a narrow multi-storey car park of the kind that it is sometimes hard to avoid using. Of course others put even bigger cars in such car parks, so I am just a wuss.

Having said that, the GS450h is so long that I can barely get it into my double garage. Well, I can get it in easily enough but cannot then walk around it unless I open the garage door first. Coming out I have to do a three point turn where the IS just backs straight around.

My other fear was depreciation. A big gas guzzler (300 or 430) will probably depreciate faster than a smaller less guzzly one. Also cheaper to tax and insure the smaller car. Yes, so on that reasoning I ought to have bought a Fiat 500 diesel, but anyway.... When I looked at used Merc CLKs before settling on the Lexus I noticed that the 200, 280 and diesel models were selling reasonably well, even if not that well equipped, but a fully loaded CLK 500 was languishing unsold even at a price below all the others. And like many others, no doubt, I wasn't going to burn my fingers with a group 19/20 gas guzzler.

Cost aside I think the IS250 is a better looking car. It is very comfortable and modern and has been much admired by family, colleagues etc. The auto gear box is stunningly good and I get about 36 mpg (actual measured consumption, not just the dash readout) from a mixed motorway / country road journey. I thought the ride a bit fussy at first, but quickly concluded that it is a very good ride as long as the tyre pressures are right.

The GS is about the same for front seat comfort, but the ride is even better (like a magic carpet). I think the IS250 is plenty quick enough for me, but in 450h form the GS has stunning overtaking ability, and that is without engaging the power boost button. Great car if you have the space for it and the money to buy it.

Thanks for taking the time to reply people..

dave1 - I think a 430 will be to costly for me to run, and the 450h is out of my budget

michaelH - Thanks for the response, I suppose I will have to test drive a GS and then come to a decision

Cheers

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links