Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Buying Help!

Hi all

I have never owned a Lexus before so am in need of help of what to look for when buying one......which is now!! I have £4,500 to spend on one. What are the main things on an IS200 I should look for and when out on a test drive?

I have seen a nice one for £3,750. Its an IS200 Sport. Wheels have just been re-furbed, new tyres, 1 owner from new, full Lexus service history......but she has 131,000 miles and my husband looked at the exhaust an it does not look that good.....bit rusty, backbox and middle section, Other than that it is in very good condition inside and out. This car is from a trader and he wont budge on price. It has 10 months MOT and no Tax.

Thanks in advance

There's a handy guide on things to look for in the Knowledge Base, here.

I can't really give you any price advice, but remember it's a buyer's market at the moment, so have a good look around, there are loads of used cars out there. Good luck !

Excellent..... thanks for the link :)

I have heard exhaust sytems are expensive to replace, is this correct, are there any other sytems like Blue Flame I think they are called which are better priced than standard fittment?

For the money you have to spend you should be able to get one with lower miles, but as long as it has full service history you should be fine, the mileage isnt realy a big concern on the is200 as they seem to go on and on :D

There are a few places to have a look for them for sale, autotrader, pistonheads websites and even a few good ones on eBay at the moment :)

Good luck with your search and if you have any questions pop on and ask away, and i'm sure some of the members will be able to help :D

The exhausts you can sometimes pick up on eBay at a good price if needed? or some of the members might even have the bits your after, the blueflame is a bigger system with a sportier note compared to the factory fitted one,

Do you have any colour in mind and would you like the S, SE or SPORT model?

Good decision to go for a Lexus. They go on for ever as long as they are looked after. High mileage isn't really a worry as long as it has been properly serviced and maintained, which, it sounds as if it has. Some bits can be expensive for the Lexus, but at the end of the day you are paying for quality stuff which tends to last. Maybe you could find one with lower mileage for your money, but, you may find it has been thrashed or not looked after well. It's you decision at the end of the day, so, best of luck and I hope you geat a great one that gives you as much pleasure as mine.

Col..

Thanks for all the help, what a helpful forum :)

I like the dark metalic blue and the Sport model. If anyone see's or knows one in the Milton Keynes, Oxford, Northampton, Watford area that would be great, any links from eBay etc.

I have had a look at only the one so far. This was bought and serviced throughout from HR Owen, but has 131k and has had 1 previous owner. He still has original reciept from HR Owen for £25,759. The chap selling it is a trader. He has had 4 brand new tyres on, all 4 alloys re-furbed and says he had a new clutch, but no reciepts to prove this......hmmm!

It drove very well, although engine sounded a bit tappety when the bonnet was opened, otherwise could not hear it..... He wants £3,750 and not open to offers and no Tax.

Is it me or are others a bit wary of buying a car from a trader with no warranty?!!!!

Pretty sure that a trader (as opposed to a private seller) is legally obliged to give you some sort of warranty. I would be wary of any seller where it doesn't "feel" right and just walk away. Don't worry, there are loads of used IS200s out there, and it's a buyer's market, so you'll find an even better one soon.

Make sure you check whether the cam belt has been changed on any car, the interval is 6 years or 6,000 miles. The service book will say 10 years/10,000 miles but Lexus changed that. There might be a sticker on the engine saying when it's been changed, or you can see if there's a receipt, or you can get someone to take off the cam belt cover and see how new/used the belt looks.

What's the paintwork like as that car has done 131k? Is the bonnet/bumper covered in stonechips?

My 2000 IS200 has done 118k (had it for 6 years- done nearly 80k under my ownership) and the bonnet/bumper is covered in stonechips- might get the bonnet and bumper resprayed at some point.

Main thing to remember is that it IS a buyers market on these cars- so if there is no room to haggle on the price then move on- plenty of good IS200's out there. I'd start the offer at £3300 and offer no more than £3600. If he is a registered trader, then he should at least offer a 3 month warranty on the engine and gearbox?

EDIT: as Stevie said the cambelt should have been changed at 60k/6 years, so look for proof or ask the seller to put on a new belt, idler and tensioner or get some £££ knocked off the price so that you can get this work done yourself.

Mine could be going up for sale ;) has the cheap tax year and has only 72k on the clock, fsh/cambelt changed/front discs changed/clutch/changed/flywheel all recently :)

Why, what are you planning ?

Supra Twin-Turbo 6spd :) seeing as I can get insured for £580 and have dreamt about owning one of these since i was 6 years old when I got a toy for xmas :D

What's the paintwork like as that car has done 131k? Is the bonnet/bumper covered in stonechips?

My 2000 IS200 has done 118k (had it for 6 years- done nearly 80k under my ownership) and the bonnet/bumper is covered in stonechips- might get the bonnet and bumper resprayed at some point.

Main thing to remember is that it IS a buyers market on these cars- so if there is no room to haggle on the price then move on- plenty of good IS200's out there. I'd start the offer at £3300 and offer no more than £3600. If he is a registered trader, then he should at least offer a 3 month warranty on the engine and gearbox?

EDIT: as Stevie said the cambelt should have been changed at 60k/6 years, so look for proof or ask the seller to put on a new belt, idler and tensioner or get some £££ knocked off the price so that you can get this work done yourself.

If the car has done 131k then not only should it have been changed at 60k, but it should have been changed again at 120k!

I don't worry too much about stonechips - in general terms, you only pick them up on motorways, and cars that have spent their lives on motorways are probably a better bet than those who have spent their lives doing loads of very short trips on stone-cold engines. So IMO, stonechipping is a sign of a more gentle life, mechanically speaking.

Mine could be going up for sale ;) has the cheap tax year and has only 72k on the clock, fsh/cambelt changed/front discs changed/clutch/changed/flywheel all recently :)

Interested!! Could you Email me some pics..... also I see you're in MK, same as!

What kind of money would you be looking for?