Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Clinking Noise Front Nearside

Russell-H

I have a IS 200 2001 when braking and turning tightly at low speed ie turning onto my drive i get a knocking noise that seems to come from the front nearside. I have just put this into the garage and he has had a good look and can not find any play in any joints or anything wrong.

I see lots of posts on knocking but most of them seem to lead to play in a joint, any ideas would be most interested to hear from you.

Many thanks

Russell.

Got the same problem, took car to two garages and both said same thing, steering rack bushes, see here # 5516, i also ordered this bush # 5517 whilst i was at it, got the parts coming from Lexus Glasgow, price was £50 for the three bushes needed, hope it solves the problem.

Good luck.

Got the same problem, took car to two garages and both said same thing, steering rack bushes, see here # 5516, i also ordered this bush # 5517 whilst i was at it, got the parts coming from Lexus Glasgow, price was £50 for the three bushes needed, hope it solves the problem.

Good luck.

I got the same problem, knocking going over pot holes and sharp edges. The car has been trough 2 MOT and it is fine, they can't find where it's coming from. Can you please let me/us know if the bushes solved it? It is really anoying and the car runs so quiet and smoth otherwise, it's a pity....

Good luck to ya!

Guys i would check to see if you have a clip either side of each of your brake pads on the front. I am experiencing the same thing (knocking/clinking going over potholes, changing direction....) and its deffo the brake pad moving. I've got only 1 pad loose - if you have more it does sound like suspension knocking.

Edeath, my knocking/cluncking happens when the brakes are not pressed, when im turning the wheel to park and if i turn the wheel from side to side.

The guy in the garage showed me the play in the steering rack, it moves a bit when you turn the wheel. Maybe we have different probs.

I've tested to brake over pot holes so that the pads aren't able to move and a still get the noise. It shouldn't be the pads then or? I have also removed the ARB but the sound is still there. These bushes Tommy mentioned are my last hope or maybe there is something wrong with the shocks.

Good luck.

hi i changed them steering rack bushes yesterday but i still got that noise mate also new bushes still got some play on them so i guess it should be like that..i ve to strip my front brakedown tomarrow and double check

Ok. I've checked and there is no play or rattle when turning the steering wheel with the engine of. Could my problem still be with the steering or a part of it?

Hope you find your problem it is really annoying!

Good luck.

hi i changed them steering rack bushes yesterday but i still got that noise mate also new bushes still got some play on them so i guess it should be like that..i ve to strip my front brakedown tomarrow and double check

S**t, ive just taken my car to the garage this morning for bushes to be changed, by the sounds of it could have been a waste of time & money. Oh well, wont do any harm, just need to have a look at the brakes & balljoint now.

Edeath, my knocking/cluncking happens when the brakes are not pressed, when im turning the wheel to park and if i turn the wheel from side to side.

That sounds exactly like the problem i had. The pads are floating so get caught by the disc when you change direction (either left/right or forward/backward) though i also get it over pot holes.

you have the mystery "knock' and for many of us there is only solution...turn up the stereo :winky:

seriously...mine has knocked for 2 years and had lots of things changed under warranty but to avail

There has been a suggestion on here that it may be a shock absorber....something to do with a valve or something inside. I have noticed that temperature effects my knock, so if its a shock it may be to do with oil viscocity inside it.

Someone on here was looking at changing their shocks to see if it cured the knock but i dont recall who it was.

Interesting doog442.... I have spoken to a Lexus dealer in Stockholm and he also mentioned that it could be a shock absorber. It would be really interesting to know if cars with coilovers also suffers from this annoying sound.

I'm not that tempted to buy new shocks just to find out that the knocking is still there. They are £215 a piece new + fitting. I rather get Koni or coilovers....

Hey Guys,

I take it everyone has noticed this because you've had your windows down enjoying a good drive in the sun!! :D

I too have the same knocking noise, not sure where its coming from, sounds like your running over a man hole cover, when you hit a sharp pot hole, doesn't happen on the smoother bumps.

I have wondered if it was the pads and will be removing my wheel to check, also gonna have a look at my slide pins, the noise could be down to the capiler it self moving.. especially when you change direction (forward - reverse)...

Gonna put it on a friends ramp and have a good look will let you know how it goes...

Heres a story,

When I bought my lexus I test drove it and it was fine. No knocking detected.

When I picked it up the garage said the front pads needed replacing and had done so.

Since then the wheels knock when going over a bump, braking into a corner or going over a speed hump. The passenger side especially. I find in the warm weather its not so bad, which got me thinking it may be a shock absorber. I find this hard to fathom as the car has only donr 10,000 miles

I took the car back to be checked and they said everything was fine. I swear they threw away the tensioning clips/spacers in the brakes.

I live with the knock and will get it checked at the next service.

I cant believe Lexus would manufacture cars with such an anooying fault!

The problem with the dealers is the software they use to diagnose any probems, they investigate the problem, sit infront of the computer and accept the answer it gives them.

IE; the knogking shock-absorbers. The software has no answers for the moving brake-pads, so they wont have a clue.

It was mylocal service garage who spotted the problem of the moving pads. The same problem occurs on IS200, IS300, & GS300, basically the same design fault between callipers

and pads.

I think he used to pack the space with grease at the service, which stopped it for a while, different pad brands also had different results.

Best to go to a proper garage that uses examination and intuition and not a computer. Will be cheaper as well.

Good luck.

Boris. :whistling::whistling:

• 2 weeks later...

I get this knocking when I suddenly stop to change direction ie a 3 point turn or something.

Can somebody please explain where and what to look for on my brakes to see if i am suffering? I am painting them this weekend anyways so will be an ideal op for curing the mystery knock?

PS - if i find its the missing clips, how do i cure it? Is it the same clips that hold the slider to the piston part of the caliper?

The missing clips can be had from the dealer pretty cheaply. I think they will set you back about £40 for all 8 though (2 clips per pad & 2 pads per wheel.)

To inspect the pads for clips -

1. Remove the Wheel.

2. Undo one of the bolts holding the caliper onto the carrier.

3. Lift the caliper up to reveal to pads.

Each pad should have a metal clips attached to each end keeping the pad firmly in the caliper. Other wise it will just be the pad itself and you will be able to move it from side to side and it's this is what is making the noise as it happens with quite some force.

I'm putting in a set of clips this weekend so can put up pictures if you like.

• 3 months later...
you have the mystery "knock' and for many of us there is only solution...turn up the stereo :winky:

seriously...mine has knocked for 2 years and had lots of things changed under warranty but to avail

There has been a suggestion on here that it may be a shock absorber....something to do with a valve or something inside. I have noticed that temperature effects my knock, so if its a shock it may be to do with oil viscocity inside it.

Someone on here was looking at changing their shocks to see if it cured the knock but i dont recall who it was.

anti rattle clip???

• 2 months later...

Bit of a thread dredge here. Did anyone with this noise issue change their front lower ball joints?

I had a similar knocking noise that developed into an occasional crack. Had it checked out & the mechanic diagnosed it as ball joints. I replaced them & now the noise had gone. (I'm starting to hear other noises though now :lol: ) I'm going to replace the front sway bar links next.

Well Folks,

I had my NCT (MoT) done last night and I mentioned this very noise to the tester because the supplying Lexus dealer guaranteed a "Pass" or any work needed would be done free of charge. In the event the car passed but he diagnosed the noise as being worn or missing bushes in the front left brake caliper.

I'm open to correction on this but it seems that part of the caliper has to be removed to change the brake pads and the holes that the bolts pass through in the removeable part are bushed and these bushes are worn or missing. No amount of tightening will take up the slack. I'm making an appointment with the dealer this afternoon and I'll update when the problem is solved.

I hope this makes sense; I've not had a wheel off yet to see the exact set-up of the brakes!