Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What Grease To Buy

kev dood

In the service manual it says to grease the sliding pins etc with Lithium Soap Base Glycol Grease.

Can anyone suggest where to buy this and typical costs? I went to local Halfords (sad I know) but they only had Comma bearing grease and a couple of Castrol greases which had no info on them!!

Or, would Toyota sell this? - prob at mega bucks though.

Thanks

dont think they had that one in stock!! bummer. Still, can get the castrol one.

Doesn't it need to be a high temp. grease rather than just general purpose?

Cheers lads.

just use copperslip matey!!i work for a main dealer(toyota)and thats all we use on the cars! (from aygo's to v8 land cruisers) :winky:

Cheers lads.

just use copperslip matey!!i work for a main dealer(toyota)and thats all we use on the cars! (from aygo's to v8 land cruisers) :winky:

Which dealer do you work for? Remind me not to go there if they are not using what the manufacturer recommends. If Toyota are meant to use copper slip, then the service manuals should say so, which they do not.

Cheers lads.

Which dealer do you work for? Remind me not to go there if they are not using what the manufacturer recommends. If Toyota are meant to use copper slip, then the service manuals should say so, which they do not.

landcruisers and rav 4's suffer sticky slides as do the lex's(as well as sticky pistons) useing copper slip prevents this problem been using this for years on all my cars as has the garage and no complaints so far!!!!!!!!!!copper grease is high temp too and stays put for ages!!so whats the problem????????

just fitted a set of brakes to a members car on here and didn't see him jumping up and down when i brought out the tin of copper slip!!!in fact he brought his own incase i didnt have any!!!

Cheers lads.

landcruisers and rav 4's suffer sticky slides as do the lex's(as well as sticky pistons) useing copper slip prevents this problem been using this for years on all my cars as has the garage and no complaints so far!!!!!!!!!!copper grease is high temp too and stays put for ages!!so whats the problem????????

just fitted a set of brakes to a members car on here and didn't see him jumping up and down when i brought out the tin of copper slip!!!in fact he brought his own incase i didnt have any!!!

If someone doesn't know any better, why would they not put copper slip (or bring their own)? My problem is if a service manual by Lexus (Toyota) says to use something, I would expect a Lexus (Toyota) garage to use it. Not substitute for what ever they see fit. Unless you can piont me in the direction of a service bulletin that says you are not to use the recommended grease because it causes slide pin seizure? Has it occured to you that maybe the reason there are so many seizures, is because people keep using copper slip instead of the correct grease!!!!!

its a recommendation!its also recomended that you change your airbags every ten years!!you done that? if you phone lex and ask if copperslip is ok to use on the slide's and pads you'll get a simple answer........yes.and i bet you plenty of peeps on here use or have used copperslip with no problems!and as i said once sticky slides are sorted with using copperslip they dont come back to my garage with the same problem!!seizures are due to a lack of or no grease not copper slip!

its a recommendation!its also recomended that you change your airbags every ten years!!you done that? if you phone lex and ask if copperslip is ok to use on the slide's and pads you'll get a simple answer........yes.and i bet you plenty of peeps on here use or have used copperslip with no problems!and as i said once sticky slides are sorted with using copperslip they dont come back to my garage with the same problem!!seizures are due to a lack of or no grease not copper slip!

Yeah, ok, whatever you say mate. Just remind me which garage you work in so I can avoid.

can i just ask hwo a sticking slide pin presents itself?? obviously it'll be stuck when you go to it, but in terms of everyday driving???

pads wearing uneven, wheel very hot too touch,wobble when breaking,brake pedal doesnt feel the same.

jack the car up and spin the wheels the one with the sticky slide will not turn free,but it could also be a seized piston remove the wheel remove the lower 14mm bolt and fold the caliper up you'll be able to check the slide now,try pushing it in or pulling it out if it doesnt move its seized....

hope that helps dude.

I think I have both!! With a sticky piston, do you have to fully remove it to free/clean etc or can you do it with it in? Am trying to avoid having to blead the brakes!

I think I have both!! With a sticky piston, do you have to fully remove it to free/clean etc or can you do it with it in? Am trying to avoid having to blead the brakes!

You can try it in situe. You will need to retract the pistons back and forward a few times to work the grease in (definately do not use copper slip on the piston seals). IME, it will always be a temporary fix and will come back eventually, so new seals are really the only proper fix.

umm. Sort of thinking (as garage had said piston was a bit corroded and possibly pitted) that if doing the seals, then may as well just put a new piston in too. For the sake of £20!!

umm. Sort of thinking (as garage had said piston was a bit corroded and possibly pitted) that if doing the seals, then may as well just put a new piston in too. For the sake of £20!!

Yup, I would.