Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Amp Installation...is There A Walkthru?

I'll be finishing off my ICE install this weekend possibly by installing my amp and subs as have already fitted my headunit the other week but I've noticed that in order to replace the rear speakers u need to remove the back seats but what about in the case of installing an amp? Do I need to remove the whole back seat and then can I fit the amp to the back of the seat and then re attach the rear seat? If theres a walkthru of any sort then can someone help me please as I'm a bit confused coz it seems like theres a solid bulkhead behind the rear seats judging from the walkthru for replacing 6x9s :huh:

I never took my back seat out mate when i replaced my 6x9's, I just removed the rear C pillar covers, pulled the headrests out , slid my hand down the top of the rear seat and pull up on the rear shelf, unhook the seat belts out of the holes in the rear shelf and unplug the high level brake light if its fitted? pull the shelf towards you and it just slides out :) You'd really have to put the amp in the boot though as theres no space behind the seat to fit it.

Heres a pic of when i fitted my 6x9's, rear seat still in place

6x9fitted.jpg

:D

I understand the whole thing about 6x9s mate but what I was saying is that mounting my amp which will power my subs in the boot, in the civic I had it mounted on the back of the rear seat but the seats folded down on the civic but on the lex they dont so how should I mount the amp to the back of the seat now/inside the boot at the back...?

I understand the whole thing about 6x9s mate but what I was saying is that mounting my amp which will power my subs in the boot, in the civic I had it mounted on the back of the rear seat but the seats folded down on the civic but on the lex they dont so how should I mount the amp to the back of the seat now/inside the boot at the back...?

If i was mounting my amps to the rear seat mate (which i wouldnt) i'd first screw a piece of 10mm MDF to the back of the seat then fix the amp to that, But i'd probably make a mdf floor panel then mount it to that as i dont like drilling through the back of the seats?

hmm...drilling through the back of the seats doesnt really worry me tbh but I was thinking that I'd make a base for it first tho, basically attach a peice of mdf to the back of the seat then attach the amp to that but what i'm getting confused at is, once I remove the entire rear seat, am I left with a rear bulkhead or a big opening thru to the boot? if I'm left with a rear bulkhead with only a small opening for the ski hatch then how will I go about attaching the amp to this bulkhead? is everyone understanding me now lol

i'm not too keen on the false floor btw or mounting the amp to a big bit of mdf the same shape as the boot as I'd like to keep my boot useable with access to the spare and just want a straight forward install tbh

yehhhhh thats what I mean mate....so I am right in thinking that theres a form of bulkhead/firewall behind the rear seats then...was it difficult to attach ur amp to it stav? I'm guessing u had to climb into the boot in order to do it and did it need drilling or did u use self tapping screws?

yeah theres a firewall behind it.

I attached it with bolts. Dilled a hole through then a nut and bolt and a couple of washers.

Its not completely flat though so its a bit of a bi**h to do.

Stav

I havent used MDF, just bolt them on, just saying its a bit fiddly cause but firewalls not flat.

So i found it easier to attach one corner then line up the others before drilling.

Stav

I think by putting mdf as a base to the amp it'll provide a better mount for the amp so I think I'll probably go that route mate but as for the holes, I'll probably just make a template from paper the same size as the mdf backing plate that I'm gonna use then just mark with a bit of tippex where to drill then take it from there really. I'll take pics once the install is complete. Also got my car WIM'd last week whilst I was down in london for my bday but not managed to get a thread up for this yet....all the mods are underway :D