Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Upfront Service Payments

Hi all,

I checked that my vehicle didn't need a recall for anything (07 plate), and pleasingly it doesn't. :D

My dealer has offered my the option of paying either on a monthly basis (no interest charge) or lump sum, to cover the next 2,3 or 4 years services. This covers the standard service, with a 12% discount on parts and labour for anything else that's required. There are a couple of other modest benefits, like a free courtsey car (which I would expect anyway!) and free punture repair.

The effective annual cost is £375 on the 4 year option, £398 on 3 years, and £381 on 2 years.

This is my first Lexus and I have no experience of the annual service costs. I do less than 10,000 a year and the car has 12,000 on it now. My first impression is that this is a bit lumpy. I would be grateful for the views of those who have greater experience than me.

Thanks in advance.

It's very subjective whether or not you think a service plan is a good idea. In terms of the extra benefits, there's not a lot there as yes you do always get a Lexus courtesy car, puncture repairs only cost about £10, and most dealers will give you at least a 10% discount on parts and labour if you are a Gold member on here.

Based on that, £400 for just the service each year seems a little steep, obviously there are difference between the IS200 and the IS250, and prices increase, but my 40,000 mile service cost £380 with my 10% Gold discount so it doesn't appear you're getting much for giving them money upfront.

Reliability also depends a lot on luck, but Lexus are pretty good with it, I still haven't paid for a single part other than routine servicing and wear and tear parts (brakes, tyres, etc.) so it really is just routine servicing (for the first few years at least).

I don't think you're being ripped off if you do go for it, but I doubt you'll be saving much either.

It's very subjective whether or not you think a service plan is a good idea. In terms of the extra benefits, there's not a lot there as yes you do always get a Lexus courtesy car, puncture repairs only cost about £10, and most dealers will give you at least a 10% discount on parts and labour if you are a Gold member on here.

Based on that, £400 for just the service each year seems a little steep, obviously there are difference between the IS200 and the IS250, and prices increase, but my 40,000 mile service cost £380 with my 10% Gold discount so it doesn't appear you're getting much for giving them money upfront.

Reliability also depends a lot on luck, but Lexus are pretty good with it, I still haven't paid for a single part other than routine servicing and wear and tear parts (brakes, tyres, etc.) so it really is just routine servicing (for the first few years at least).

I don't think you're being ripped off if you do go for it, but I doubt you'll be saving much either.

Thanks for the prompt and helpful reply, as always.

Just to offer another view on this...

You have to determine if this is a Dealer Only service plan or the Lexus UK one. If Dealer only then I would strongly urge you to consider it in the light of Dealer survivability in this economic climate. On the other hand you have the Lexus UK one valid at ANY UK Lexus Dealer. The cost matrix for something like this is 'funny' in that you have to find the right combination of services to get the right costs. Quite obviously a Lexus backed plan is better than the Dealer and means come service time you do not have to hunt around for the 'best deal' - something evident by the sheer number of threads on this forum...

I bought a 50/60/70 Lexus Service Plan and it cost me £606. Had I bought a plan either side (40/50/60 or 60/70/80 etc.) the price would be nearer £1K - go figure! Get the Lexus plan and fix your costs, best add-on I ever bought for my RX.

I bought a 50/60/70 Lexus Service Plan and it cost me £606. Had I bought a plan either side (40/50/60 or 60/70/80 etc.) the price would be nearer £1K - go figure! Get the Lexus plan and fix your costs, best add-on I ever bought for my RX.

Are you talking about miles there? 50k/60k/70k?

Are you talking about miles there? 50k/60k/70k?

Yes Mate, miles.

(I posted extensively on the RX forum my experience of the Lexus Service Plans - in the hope my experience may prove useful ...)

I must have missed that, so that's 3 services for £606? That does seem good value as I doubt many dealers would do services at £200 each.......

Did your dealer offer you that? I've never had any info about service plans come through to me...........

I must have missed that, so that's 3 services for £606? That does seem good value as I doubt many dealers would do services at £200 each.......

Did your dealer offer you that? I've never had any info about service plans come through to me...........

Must come visit us on the RX thread more often mate ;)

Must come visit us on the RX thread more often mate ;)

I should do, normally do tend to keep an eye on them all just using the "new posts" button, but somehow missed these :)