Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Independent Warranties

My '06 220d is just out of warranty & I have been quoted about £600 for an extended warranty, inclusive of Lexus Assist recovery etc.

I've also been scouting around the independents, including Warranty Direct. Their initial quote online was £481, but they rang me this morning. As my car is just out of warranty & annual mileage is low they revised the quote to £360, (excluding recovery), which will cover Lexus dealers, including the one I use at £120 p.h. labour.

Has anyone used or got experience of Warranty Direct, especially how good they are about settling claims?

The service manager at Lexus, not surprisingly, was not very well disposed towards non-Lexus warranties. One of the things he said was that some dealers will not consider warranty repairs from the likes of Warranty Direct. They countered this by saying that if a dealer will not play then the customer pays, with settlement within 5 days or so.

Thanks

Warranty Direct have come down to £436 for my GS430 at franchise dealer to limit of £7500 per claim. Lexus Coventry have an account with them so I would think Lincoln will too as they are both Listers I believe. Big problem with Warranty Direct is the excess of £50 plus the fact that they do not pay for any diagnostic labour charge which could be a lot at £120 p.h. labour. I will be taking out the Lexus extended warranty if I can get the extra 3 months.

Warranty Direct have come down to £436 for my GS430 at franchise dealer to limit of £7500 per claim. Lexus Coventry have an account with them so I would think Lincoln will too as they are both Listers I believe. Big problem with Warranty Direct is the excess of £50 plus the fact that they do not pay for any diagnostic labour charge which could be a lot at £120 p.h. labour. I will be taking out the Lexus extended warranty if I can get the extra 3 months.

Thanks for that Dave.

I won't use Lincoln, even tho' it's less than 1 mile from my house, or any other Lister's dealership no matter what make of car they have the franchise for. I have been using Hull who have been pretty good. The way their S.M. was talking they won't want to deal with Warranty Direct etc.

Thanks for that Dave.

I won't use Lincoln, even tho' it's less than 1 mile from my house, or any other Lister's dealership no matter what make of car they have the franchise for. I have been using Hull who have been pretty good. The way their S.M. was talking they won't want to deal with Warranty Direct etc.

Listers Coventry sold me a warranty when I bought the car. It's not Lexus it's Listers own brand which is done through Car Care Plan Ltd. It also includes Lister Assist which is some kind of recovery service. Cost me £800 for 2 years which kicks in in Sept 09.

I have to say, it seems good value but they offered me it over the phone and didn't tell me it was Listers own warranty. Felt a little cheated but I hope not to need it :shifty:

Cant see extended warranty being needed on a fairly new Lexus? What could possibly go wrong?

My IS is 10 years and has nearly 140k on the clock and has wanted nothing its entire life. Throwing money down the toilet in my opinion.

Throwing money down the toilet in my opinion.

I agree up to a point with you, any insurance is money down the pan if nothing goes wrong.

Your 200 was perhaps built when Lexus were building or still had an unquestionable reputation for reliability and

quality. Unfortunately that seems to have been lost a bit in recent times, mainly due to the 220?

I've never had a car that has had to go back to the dealer so much for various things and I've got this nasty nagging in my head that some time in the future that it might need expensive attention which I'd rather avoid.

Cant see extended warranty being needed on a fairly new Lexus? What could possibly go wrong?

My IS is 10 years and has nearly 140k on the clock and has wanted nothing its entire life. Throwing money down the toilet in my opinion.

My previous car, '96 GS 300 Sport, was purchased in May 2002 with 85k on on clock and sold in May 2008 with around 146k on the clock and only needed tyres,brakes etc. and routine servicing and cambelt. So 6 years, 60+k miles no problems.

The GS 430SE which I replaced it with has had the alternator drivebelt tensioner, OSF upper suspension arm and OSF upper suspension mount replaced under warranty at around £800. If I had been paying it would probably have been more. Also had to have rear parking system sensors replaced 3 months after purchase which was covered by Sale Of Goods Act rather than the warranty. This car had 46k on clock and now has only 50k.

If anything does go wrong on a Lexus it will be expensive and any car including Lexus can suffer from parts failing so it's really whether you want insurance against it.

Out of interest, whilst Listers warranty is underwritten by Car Care, Lexus are underwritten by AON.

Maybe my reply was a bit naive chaps. I never realised there was so many problems with the new IS220/250 - maybe I have lead a bit of a sheltered life with my IS299.

Was considering upgrading to an IS220d but by the sounds of it wont be worth it.