Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi guys

I thought I would introduce myself. I'm 44 live in Halifax W Yorks and currently own a Nissan Primera Estate 2.2 diesel (daily drive) and a modified Nissan 200sx (weekend and track car). Owning both those, both come with complementary pipe and slippers so I am prepared for the 'lexus image'.

I have long had a hankering after an 'LS' and in the last few weeks I have been seriously considering buying one as a replacement to the Primera.

In the price bracket I am looking I find myself looking at late 400's with low milage or highish mileage early 430's.

what would you guys recommend? Are there any some 'common faults' to be looking for?

Secondly I do 2 types of driving, 2 miles to work, and longer distance motorways, now I know the MPG will crucify me on the short journeys (<20) and I am prepared for that, but out of interest, longer journeys on motorways, what can I get mpg wise - I do actually drive very conservatively (except in the 200sx when I am hooning). A 3000mile trip to France is planned this year so your response might influence when I buy.

I look forward to your reply(s). (p.s. I have had some online quotes for insurance that are cheaper than the Primera????)

Hi & welcome.

I have a 98 mark4 now on lpg, on petrol you will get around 15 mpg on a 2 mile journey stop start, on a run at a constant 80mph 30 to 32 mpg, dont know the figures for a 430 but would say about the same.

What to look out for when buying, full service history cam belt changes 63k on a 400, 100k on a 430. knocks or creaking from the suspension. check that everything electrical is working. leaking boot seals on the 400. Dont wory too much about the mileage better high motorway miles than low short trip mileage.

You can pick up a good mark 4 for under £2500 now & prices are falling by the week. I love my mark 4 & some poeple rate them as better than the 430 I havent driven a 430 so cant comment, all I know is my 400 drives better than an s class merc or a 7 series bmw 7 the more I drive it the more I love it & with the lpg my car cost £4k & is as cheap to run as a corolla. got to be value for money.

good luck Mark

Hi & welcome.

I have a 98 mark4 now on lpg, on petrol you will get around 15 mpg on a 2 mile journey stop start, on a run at a constant 80mph 30 to 32 mpg, dont know the figures for a 430 but would say about the same.

What to look out for when buying, full service history cam belt changes 63k on a 400, 100k on a 430. knocks or creaking from the suspension. check that everything electrical is working. leaking boot seals on the 400. Dont wory too much about the mileage better high motorway miles than low short trip mileage.

You can pick up a good mark 4 for under £2500 now & prices are falling by the week. I love my mark 4 & some poeple rate them as better than the 430 I havent driven a 430 so cant comment, all I know is my 400 drives better than an s class merc or a 7 series bmw 7 the more I drive it the more I love it & with the lpg my car cost £4k & is as cheap to run as a corolla. got to be value for money.

good luck Mark

thanks for the info - 30mpg is more than acceptable and with LPG that would be far better than my Primera

Just reading some of the other posts it would appear that getting a tow bar for a Mk4 might be a bit of a problem (we have a trailer tent currently in storage in the Dordogne and we are bringing it back this year).

Is there giude to tell the difference between the Mks?

Hi and welcome.

If you are going for a 400, try and pick up a series 4, you can tell its a series 4 because it will have the built in Sat Nav.

In this, its final configuration Lexus had ironed out all those problems that popped up on the previous incarnations.

One other thing on top of what Mark suggests is look out for Lacquer coming off the alloy wheels, this can make them look horrible and is a known issue.

However a set of exchange refurbs can be had off E Bay for around £250.

My LS400 series 4 had 88k on the clock two owners with full Bristol Lexus Service history and I paid £2900 for a car that when built cost more than my house !

On fuel consumption I average 20.9 Urban and 32 Motorway.

Its worth bearing in mind that older cars without the VVTi engine will give considerably less than this.

Hi & welcome.

good luck Mark

thanks for the info - 30mpg is more than acceptable and with LPG that would be far better than my Primera

Just reading some of the other posts it would appear that getting a tow bar for a Mk4 might be a bit of a problem (we have a trailer tent currently in storage in the Dordogne and we are bringing it back this year).

Is there giude to tell the difference between the Mks?

Hi no problem getting a tow bar for a mark 4 from tow equipe made by watling engineering, its the same bar as on a mark 3, I have fitted one on mine as I have a small trailer. they are also availlable from the states via eBay.

Hi guys - I think I have just found a show stopper - well for this year anyway - There doesn't appear to be a thule roofrack system for the LS400 - I will need it this year for France!

any ideas on an alternative

Hi again,

mark 1 1990-1992, mark 2 93-95, mark3 95- 97 ,mark 4 98 - 2001 ( some cross over due to dealer old stock)

mark1&2 245 bhp split front lights ( have a few more electrical problems than the later models)

mark3 263bhp single light lens ( you can get a good one less than a grand)

mark4 281 bhp vvti zenon lights ( the one to go with)

All great cars the pre vvti lumps are cheaper to convert to lpg as you can go single point the vvti needs a multipoint conversion ( more economical & no loss of power though )

the 430s are starting to take a big hit in depreciation ( i would guess they will drop 30% before the year is out)

If it was my money I would buy a mark 3 or 4 gas it keep it & maybe change to a 430 in a couple of years when the prices have bottomed out.

Hi guys - I think I have just found a show stopper - well for this year anyway - There doesn't appear to be a thule roofrack system for the LS400 - I will need it this year for France!

one of these new inflateable universal roof racks ( came on the market last year )

one of these new inflateable universal roof racks ( came on the market last year )

hmm not heard of those - can you fit a roof box to them? - I shall investigate further