Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How To Put Headlight Washer Back On

ALI_1

some ****** broke my headlight washer i think thay tried to steal the cap but ended up snapping the washer unit it anyways i got a new one but i cant fix it with screws becouse the headlight washer is broken where it screws in to any ideas what i can use to just stick it on the bumper looks horrible with just hole there

When you put a TTE bumper on it doesn't have the holes cut in you have to do it yourself and if you take the option of not doing it you must remove the switch (inside the car) that operates the h/lamp washers Lexus do supply the blanking plate. All functionable switches are operated at the MOT centre.

Thats what i was told or am i missing something?

Any MOT testers in da house?

Thing is, if you 'glue' it back on for cosmetic / visual reasons maybe using superglue (?) you will not be able to use it - because when you press the washer button it will be stuck? So how do you get over that????

The other headlight washer will wash the headlight though....

Could be completely wrong here but if a car has HID headlights fitted as standard don't they have to have headlight washers also which then become part of the MOT.

There is a member on the forum think it's ormi or something like that who is an MOT tester.

Could be completely wrong here but if a car has HID headlights fitted as standard don't they have to have headlight washers also which then become part of the MOT.

There is a member on the forum think it's ormi or something like that who is an MOT tester.

correct matey!!!!

if your car has factory fit hids your head lamp washers must work and will be tested at mot time!

Really, are you sure ? Factory-fitted HIDs are require self-levelling headlamps, but on my old car the self-levelling kept breaking, but my car still passed the MoT fine (they just checked the level, not whether it self-levels).

This link doesn't say anything about doing any special tests for cars with OEM HIDs. Are you really saying that a tester is expected to check whether a car has OEM HIDs or aftermarket ones ?

Really, are you sure ? Factory-fitted HIDs are require self-levelling headlamps, but on my old car the self-levelling kept breaking, but my car still passed the MoT fine (they just checked the level, not whether it self-levels).

This link doesn't say anything about doing any special tests for cars with OEM HIDs. Are you really saying that a tester is expected to check whether a car has OEM HIDs or aftermarket ones ?

phoned the boss(he's on holiday) washers on hids not mot testabe the now but its being brought on in the coming months!well they are trying to!thats what the notice was all about!so your safe the now :winky:

but and theirs a big but they are still classed as illegal found all this poop

In the Department's view it is not legal to sell or use after market HID lighting kits, for converting conventional Halogen headlamps to HID Xenon. If a customer wants to convert his vehicle to Xenon HID he must purchase completely new Xenon HID headlamps. The reason for this is that the existing lens and reflector are designed around a Halogen filament bulb, working to very precise tolerances. If one places a HID "burner" (bulb) in the headlamp, the beam pattern will not be correct, there will be glare in some places and not enough light in other places within the beam pattern.

The following is the legal rationale:

The Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989 regulate the situation in the UK.

Under these Regulations, HID/Gas Discharge/Xenon headlamps are not mentioned and therefore they are not permitted according to the strict letter of the law.

However new vehicles have HID headlamps. This is because they comply to European type approval Regulations. The UK cannot refuse to register a vehicle with a European type approval. These are to ECE Regulation 98 (for the HID headlamps which are tested on a rig in a laboratory) and ECE Regulation 48 (Lighting Installation on the vehicle).

For the after market, a used vehicle cannot obtain type approval because it is only applicable for new vehicles. However we feel that saying "HID is banned in the after market" would not be reasonable. Instead we should make analogies with new vehicles. It would be reasonable to require HID in the after market to meet the same safety standards as on new vehicles. The same level of safety should apply.

Therefore a HID headlamp unit sold in the after market should:

1. be type approved to ECE Regulation 98 as a component.

2. when fitted to the vehicle should enable ECE Regulation 48 to be complied with (although no government inspection will take place).

3. Comply with RVLR as far as "use" is concerned.

In practice this means:

1. The headlamp unit (outer lens, reflector, bulb) shall be type approved to ECE 98 and be "e-marked" to demonstrate this. That can only be done by the headlamp supplier - Hella, Valeo etc. who must test the headlamp in an independent laboratory.

2. Once fitted to the vehicle it must have headlamp cleaning and self-levelling (which can be for the headlamp or can be in the vehicle suspension - some expensive estate cars have "self-levelling suspension" and that is adequate). Also the dipped beam must stay on with the main beam.

3. The headlamp must be maintained in good working order, kept clean, and aligned/adjusted correctly like any other headlamp.

Under the Road Traffic Act 1988 it is an offence to supply, fit or use vehicle parts which are not legal.

In summary it is not permitted to convert an existing halogen headlamp unit for use with HID bulbs. The entire headlamp unit must be replaced with one designed and approved for use with HID bulbs and it must be installed in accordance with the rules stated above.

If you require any further information regarding the regulations covered by this fact sheet, please contact the DfT at the address below:

Transport Technology and Standards 6

Department for Transport

Zone 2/04

Great Minster House

76 Marsham Street

London

SW1P 4DR

Yeah I've seen all that before. Who's ever been prosecuted for it though ? MP3-player-to-stereo transmitters used to be illegal too, but no-one got prosecuted for it and they changed the law later to make them legal.

Also note the wishy-washy wording about how "in the Department's view" etc, i.e. not saying that it *is* illegal, just that in their view it is (a big difference).

pob no one matey well i dont know anyone.the only issue people should have when taking their cars for mot is the light alighnment. i have 10ks anyway no self level but do have the headlight wash and untill i,m done for it they'll stay on my car!!they look so good! :winky: